Chris Kunitz

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No poll option... but I'd say somewhere between his pre-olympic game and how he was playing in Oct last season.

I also don't buy this opinion that he might succeed in a 3rd line role but will tire out if played in a top 6 role. I do not think that will matter either way. He'll either bounce back to something like he was around the Olympic's and I do not think it'll matter whether he's in the top 6 or on the 3rd line, or he'll be a complete bust like late last season. Guess we'll find out how much of an issue this iron deficiency thing he has is/was.

Last edited:

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
I'm with the two others that expect a big year from Kuni this year. I still have a lot of faith in what he can bring to this team. I expect him to be faster, more physical, and get back to being a 25-25 guy.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
This. As long as Perron is played at LW opposite Hornqvist, having Kunitz as the LW opposite Kessel isn't the worst situation. He'll truly be the third wheel on a line for the first time since Kunitz-Malkin-Neal, which should help assuming he rebounds somewhat.

The biggest killer is if he is seeing top PP time. I don't want to see Kunitz on the PP at all this season. He'll get plenty of even strength minutes if he's on whatever line Kessel is on. Then Hornqvist should be net front on the first PP unit and Plotnikov for the second.

Kunitz has done very well over the years on our PP. With the edition of Kessel, he undeniably shouldn't have a spot on the top unit, but to pencil in a guy we've never seen as a net front guy, who's never played in the NHL, over a proven producer is very silly, imo, and speaks more towards your angst than his performance.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Kunitz has done very well over the years on our PP. With the edition of Kessel, he undeniably shouldn't have a spot on the top unit, but to pencil in a guy we've never seen as a net front guy, who's never played in the NHL, over a proven producer is very silly, imo, and speaks more towards your angst than his performance.

rather have someone that will skate and try to keep possession at all even once all season

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
idk, if he's opposite Kessel then he's going to have to be in the puck retriever role and I question if he'd do that. Either because of the effort required or lacking the legs for it, I distinctly remember him looking at loose pucks and someone else having to go do it last season. There was a great PP moment where Hornqvist had to go do it after seeing that Kunitz wasn't, iirc. He'd also have to be on it defensively and not killing plays and flubbing shots all over, even as a third wheel. And, you know, not standing around waiting for the puck so he can 'snipe'.

The PP is going to be stupid again. Like Crosby and Malkin on PP1 and Kessel on PP2 for balance, which might not be the stupidest thing ever but Tocchet will then make stupid personnel decisions around that. Kunitz will get PP time no matter what.

If we finally acquire an elite RH sniper and put him on the 2nd unit, I can't imagine anything that would be more stupid.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I voted slightly better. I think his production will drop because he won't see 1PP time (baring injuries), but I think he will play better hockey. I also predict that it won't matter how he plays and he will remain one of the HF whipping boys until he's no longer a Penguin.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
His best hockey is way in the past now. See him playing well for 20 games or so but it'll tail off eventually and he'll look like poop again.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
idk, if he's opposite Kessel then he's going to have to be in the puck retriever role and I question if he'd do that. Either because of the effort required or lacking the legs for it, I distinctly remember him looking at loose pucks and someone else having to go do it last season. There was a great PP moment where Hornqvist had to go do it after seeing that Kunitz wasn't, iirc. He'd also have to be on it defensively and not killing plays and flubbing shots all over, even as a third wheel. And, you know, not standing around waiting for the puck so he can 'snipe'.

The PP is going to be stupid again. Like Crosby and Malkin on PP1 and Kessel on PP2 for balance, which might not be the stupidest thing ever but Tocchet will then make stupid personnel decisions around that. Kunitz will get PP time no matter what.

Would still like to see 2 PPs. Depending on fit and whatnot, make it as even as possible talent wise on each. But there's no chance Kessel isn't on the PP without one of Crosby/Malkin centering him.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley

My point was that if he is playing the LW on a line with Kessel, he's going to get plenty of minutes at even strength. So to manage his minutes I think it would be prudent to keep him out of a net front role on the PP in which he'd be taking a lot of abuse.

Really, I'd rather whichever of Plotnikov or Kunitz does not end up in the top six to be the net front guy on the second PP unit for the same reason.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Overall he'll regress. Assuming he "gets in shape" this year and/or fixes his iron deficiency, he'll probably start slowly like he always does, have about 15 games where he's a serviceable top-9 forward, and then fall off a cliff as he has in the last two years. Like most guys his age at his position, he's just done.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Kunitz finished last season ranked #252 among forwards (minimum 500 minutes) in 5on5 points/60: a few slots below Chris Thorburn. It would be interesting if he could manage to do worse.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Kunitz finished last season ranked #252 among forwards (minimum 500 minutes) in 5on5 points/60: a few slots below Chris Thorburn. It would be interesting if he could manage to do worse.

This. As hard as he has declined, it'll be tough to do worse than in the second half of last season.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Dude's done. He's been done for like 3 years, but now his production's fallen off of a cliff just like his play.

Joejosh999

Mar 13, 2014
I think he could only improve if he goes Gary Roberts in the off season, which I doubt.
He'll either be Top-6 without earning it, or bottom 6 and overpaid.
I'd choose getting him off the books.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
23 goals
27 assists

7,456 uncalled for negative posts about him

no idea what about the last year makes you think he'll put up more points this year in a smaller role

15 goals
15 assists

bet he's a minus this year too, he almost pulled it off last year

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
No doubt he will regress next year given his age, the circumstances, and lack of PP time.

That only applies if you think that his poor game last year was entirely due to his age and him falling off a cliff. As opposed to actually believing that it was this iron issue of his and that he couldn't come back from it.

I'm not going to put down numbers due to not really knowing if he'll be a top 6 guy or on the 3rd line. But overall I think his game next season will be a lot better than it was last year.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Now that Sid can have Hornqvist on the right side and be a #2 player on that line, I'm ok with Kunitz being a third wheel. He just can't be Sids scoring winger.

With Malkin and Kessel on the other scoring line, they can bring some attention away from Sid.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Now that Sid can have Hornqvist on the right side and be a #2 player on that line, I'm ok with Kunitz being a third wheel. He just can't be Sids scoring winger.

With Malkin and Kessel on the other scoring line, they can bring some attention away from Sid.

Why assume Kessel automatically plays with Malkin?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

Kunitz-Crosby-Hornqvist is one of the worst line combinations I can think of. He doesn't do anything to help those two at all. I can maybe see an argument that Kunitz is okay as a third wheel on a line with Kessel and Sid/Geno, although I don't prefer it, especially with the new version of Kunitz.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Why assume Kessel automatically plays with Malkin?

I'm not saying it's automatic, but it preserves the obvious chemistry that Horny and Sid have, and bypasses the obvious lack of chemistry Hornqvist and Malkin had.

Corsi/Fenwick Malkin and Hornqvist were actually good together blah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad