Chris Kunitz Appreciation

Candyman

Aug 17, 2012
Indiana
You may not like his contract or that he's glued to Sid's hip. But Kuni has been a pretty solid producer for awhile now and imo deserves a little shout out. He's up to 20G and 17A so just as last season he's producing a point per game, and if you include last season he's got 89 points in his last 85 games. That's some pretty awesome stuff from a guy who's single season best is 61 points when he was a part of the KMN line that dominated.

and perhaps most importantly he hasn't been hurt (yet). So theres that. (insert anti-jinx)

So here's to you Kuni!:cheers::banana::clap::thumbu:

Random Oracle

Aug 3, 2005
It's funny, Kunitz has produced very well both this season and last season, but the fans here were ready to crucify him because he had subpar starts both seasons.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Kunitz is behind only neal as the best slotted winger we have. He is clearly a top 2 line winger and can contribute with Sid or Geno's styles... Basically same age as duper, but his game should age a lot better too... cant be anything but thrilled with him...

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It's funny, Kunitz has produced very well both this season and last season, but the fans here were ready to crucify him because he had subpar starts both seasons.

Well he did have some pretty terrible starts to the season. Maybe if/when it happens next year we will have better memories.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007

:laugh: Yeah, I remember a few posters even wanting to use a compliance buyout on him after his slow start last season. Thank God Shero has more patience than the people on here.

I never thought Kunitz would become this good when we first got him. I know he benefits greatly from riding shotgun with Sid and playing the PP with so many great players but he gets the job done and produces better than I ever thought he would have.

He is also the one winger we've had over the years that plays well with everybody. He played well with Staal for a stretch when he first got here. He had the huge season with Geno and Neal and we know the damage he does with Sid.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Kunitz is one of the best Power forwards in the game today. I'll take him at that cap hit all day long.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I love his contract, who the hell hates his contract? The guy has been nothing but a consistent 50+ point player for the Pens and he was one before he joined as well, if anything, we need another Kunitz on this team. Also, a consistent 20 goal scorer, elite grinder, solid 2-way player, leader, and a 50pt player for under 4m?

That, folks, is a bargain.

I really hope he stays on fire and gets a crack at Team Canada, I mean, is there a better left winger in the game right now producing as well as he is? Save the Crosby helps him stuff, because the guy is rock solid on his own and produced without Sid as well. He's on pace for a career year, I hope he cracks at least 70pts. He's more than half way there.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unlike Dupuis, Kunitz plays well with Sid and is playing well full stop.

Unlike Dupuis, Chris Kunitz has been a top 6 forward on two separate teams and for the majority of his career.

That is a huge difference when comparing Pascal Dupuis, a guy that was playing well beyond his means for 2 seasons which earned him a massive over payment and the dislike from us because he's a fixture in the top 6 when he should be a fixture in the bottom 6.

The fact that Dupers is paid almost as much as Kunitz is bizarre as ****.

It's not like Kunitz is perfect, he can be better, but for what he is, his cap hit is a bargain.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
'power forward' is such a loaded term that turns rational people into mouth-frothing manics but when he's on his game, Kunitz is one hell of a forechecker.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
He knows how to go to the net and he knows how to finish. We only have two legit top six wingers and he's one of them.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He's a hell of a hockey player and a hell of a bargain because of the things he does that don't show up on the stat sheet- forechecking, playing well defensively, screening goalies and creating space and turnovers for Sid.

zooperdooper

May 13, 2009

Stupid thing is, he always starts slow! You think we would all realize that by now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Who was actually mad about Kunitz's contract? I've seen people not being happy with his play, but not anyone complaining about the contract or that he plays with Crosby. Well, except the people saying that he should be with Malkin.

Stupid thing is, he always starts slow! You think we would all realize that by now.

I think his age is making people paranoid... or at least it's making me slightly paranoid. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

What makes it even stranger is that his stats were actually pretty damn good right from the start. He just couldn't receive or make a damn pass to save his life, but it didn't stop him from playing through the stretch at near a PPG pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad