Chris Kreider

shootthepuckfool*

Would like to get a non Rangers fan perspective on anybody who has seen this kid play so far at the WJC. Homer threads can be a bit much to listen to. I assume he hasn't been playing much at BC. Personally, I think that coach is very poor with some of his decision making. He's just been saved with tremendous talent in his program.

Titan124

Oct 14, 2005
I've seen him on BC and at the WJC. BC he looks good, WJC he is dominant. Definitely a standout on the team, and probably the best forward so far as far as I'm concerned.

His speed is impressive, and considering his size it really is crazy how fast he can go.

I say this all as an Islanders fan.

shootthepuckfool*

I'm just hoping he can pass and shoot some. A lot of these big, fast players can't finish or setup plays.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
I'm just hoping he can pass and shoot some. A lot of these big, fast players can't finish or setup plays.

i'd agree with this. he's fast, a good worker in the corners and along the boards, but the one thing i've noticed of him so far @ BC and with Team USA is his lack of a shot. It's not hard nor accurate, yet. He's fun to watch though.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
As a Sabres fan I still think we messed up big time taking Kassian over him. I might be in the minority, but I was face palming hardcore when we picked Zack.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
i'd agree with this. he's fast, a good worker in the corners and along the boards, but the one thing i've noticed of him so far @ BC and with Team USA is his lack of a shot. It's not hard nor accurate, yet. He's fun to watch though.

His shot is actually very good...but I think he is just adjusting to getting it off quicker and with more pressure on him.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
His shot is actually very good...but I think he is just adjusting to getting it off quicker and with more pressure on him.
That's the problem, most never end up doing that. Americans seem develop players with amazing speed, strength and size but with little creativity and finishing ability. NJ has gone through quite a few like that with Tallackson, Hoeffel and Ryznar.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
That's the problem, most never end up doing that. Americans seem develop players with amazing speed, strength and size but with little creativity and finishing ability. NJ has gone through quite a few like that with Tallackson, Hoeffel and Ryznar.

Who the heck are those guys????????

Kessel and Kane have some decent moves and finish though. I guess I do sort of agree with the trend you cite, however.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
As a Sabres fan I still think we messed up big time taking Kassian over him. I might be in the minority, but I was face palming hardcore when we picked Zack.

I'm a big Kreider fan as well.

I've only seen him in the Slovakia-USA game so far this season, and he continues to impress me with the skill/size/speed of his game. The Rangers have a good one there.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

True to an extent, but it's too early to tell with Kreider. The thing is, he's already developed into a 6'2 200lb forward who is possibly the fastest skater in the tournament. There isn't much left for him to develop outside of his puck skills. He's playing against the best competition of his life and he's doing very well for himself.

I don't think he's ever going to be a guy who creates offense off the rush. What I do think is that he'll be a guy that can get in quick on the forecheck, retrieve the puck, and escape defenders with his acceleration. Most of his goals will come from exactly what he's been doing with the US squad: Tip-ins and garbage goals around the net. If he can develop his hands a bit, I think he'll be a constant breakaway threat as well.

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
Would like to get a non Rangers fan perspective on anybody who has seen this kid play so far at the WJC. Homer threads can be a bit much to listen to. I assume he hasn't been playing much at BC. Personally, I think that coach is very poor with some of his decision making. He's just been saved with tremendous talent in his program.

First of all, it's high comedy that you're criticizing the job that Jerry York does at BC. The guy consistently moves players on to the NHL (Clemmensen, Gerbe, Gionta, Orpick, Scuderi, Mottau, Reasoner, Harrold just to name a few), anyone who has ever played for him loves him, and he continues to get top notch recruits.

As for Kreider, he was actually the guy I was most positively surprised by in the two games so far. He's much stronger and physically imposing than I remembered him, as I remember him more from his speed and skating. He's going to be a good NHLer within a few years. I wouldn't worry about his numbers at BC, he's going to develop there and York will make him a good player in three zones.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

I was certainly not a fan of his prior to the draft. I don't see the top 6 potential in him. He reminds me of Andre Roy...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Eh, I think Kreider's "problem" right now isn't actual skill or anything like that, but the confidence in himself to execute with that skill at this level. At times in the Slovakia game when he got the puck, he looked calm and collected and used his body well to shield the puck, stick handled through some guys, etc. And reports out of BC say he displays plenty of creativity, he just hasn't gotten the breakthrough in scoring yet.

His shot might need some work but I don't think it's bad by any means. I think his main thing is just needing to play and learn how to use the tools he has.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
First of all, it's high comedy that you're criticizing the job that Jerry York does at BC. The guy consistently moves players on to the NHL (Clemmensen, Gerbe, Gionta, Orpick, Scuderi, Mottau, Reasoner, Harrold just to name a few), anyone who has ever played for him loves him, and he continues to get top notch recruits.

As for Kreider, he was actually the guy I was most positively surprised by in the two games so far. He's much stronger and physically imposing than I remembered him, as I remember him more from his speed and skating. He's going to be a good NHLer within a few years. I wouldn't worry about his numbers at BC, he's going to develop there and York will make him a good player in three zones.

Totally agree everything you said. BC has older guys ahead of Kreider.

---------------------------------------

To shootthepuckfool*

Does Kreider have more potential then some of the older guys? Absolutely, but York is in the hunt for a Hockey East and NCAA title. He's going to rely on his seniors and juniors.

Is Kreider a Paul Kariya where he can step in right away as a freshman and dominate the competition? No.

Just look at Jimmy Hayes' stats

Last year as freshman he had 8 goals and 5 assists in 36 games
This year 4 goals and 8 assists in 15 games

Next year Kreider will be relied on more offensively

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Kreider isn't being stuck on the 4th line with limited minutes at this point in the season either. He may have started out on a lower line, but he's been getting good icetime at BC lately. People just have to realize that the jump to college hockey is a really big adjustment for him, and as much as I'm starting to like the pick, it's not like this guy is a top 3 draft talent who should be expected to tear apart whatever league he's playing in.

I think we're starting to see him get better, and he'll have plenty of opportunities to put up points when he returns to BC.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

lets not get carried away here...please do not compare Kreider to Ryznar, Tallackson, and Hoeffel. All three of those guys no doubt should be playing some form of checking role in the NHL right now, but none of them were as highly skilled or touted as Kreider is. I understand that you are just throwing a few names out there, but there are better players to compare the situation to then those guys.

I am not worried about Kreider at all, infact I will go out on a limb and say that come next year, there will be another name being put next to his name...Hobey! :yo:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Kreiders speed is amazing, but he is very raw. Like he look like a 16 y/o Pavel Bure if you get what I mean. And that doesn't mean that he will become Bure II at the age of 24 y/o, far from it, he could just as well become another Sjöström type of player and will most likely never become a mega star.

But he definitely have a lot of potential. And his speed is just nuts. Its very hard to tell though what the end product will be with a kid like that.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY

Heh, his shot was in full force today...all three goals were perfect, quick, accurate shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad