Player Discussion Chris Kreider

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
We essentially saw kreider's signature game/period tonight. That's was a terrific display but what stood out even more than his play was his humility. Even on the post game when trocheck was asked what kreider said between period kreider tried to tell trocheck not to say it. Everyone that asked kreider a question about him got a response about the team. Just a wonderful night for one of the most underappreciated rangers in franchise history. Imagine complaining about paying that player 6.5m a year...

Oh, I assure you, he's no longer underappreciated.

markymarc1215

Jan 8, 2023
Southwest Florida
A performance for the ages. He was possessed in that 3rd period. All the credit in the world to him. Best playoff game I've seen a forward play since Brassgod went off in Game 6 vs the Lightning a few years back (I think he had 3 goals and 2 assists).

If we actually do win the Cup, I have no doubt he will be responsible for many more clutch goals these next few weeks.

Reactions: AirGut

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Going back and skimming through our own GDT today, especially of that third period, has been a treat.

We are crazy, and we didn't yet know what we'd witnessed from this man.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Crazy to me remembering them drafting him back in 2009. I think I had just recently moved to Baltimore. I remember at that point in the draft most people wanting Jordan Schroeder because he was said to have top 5 skills or something but was falling because of size. I believe some others wanted Josefson (taken after Kreider by NJ) because he was a C with solid upside.
Most saw Kreider as extremely raw but with potential and were wary because he was coming out of a relatively obscure HS program (compared to the programs that players like Crosby went through).
Lotta people kinda freaking out and thinking it was a waste of a pick, salvaged somewhat by the talking heads saying that he was possibly the fastest skater in the draft.

15 damn years later and here we are and what a way he's changed his game and evolved as a player.

Luger

Aug 21, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Crazy to me remembering them drafting him back in 2009. I think I had just recently moved to Baltimore. I remember at that point in the draft most people wanting Jordan Schroeder because he was said to have top 5 skills or something but was falling because of size. I believe some others wanted Josefson (taken after Kreider by NJ) because he was a C with solid upside.
Most saw Kreider as extremely raw but with potential and were wary because he was coming out of a relatively obscure HS program (compared to the programs that players like Crosby went through).
Lotta people kinda freaking out and thinking it was a waste of a pick, salvaged somewhat by the talking heads saying that he was possibly the fastest skater in the draft.

15 damn years later and here we are and what a way he's changed his game and evolved as a player.

Kreider was the most raw first round pick that year. Everyone knew that. The Rangers decided to take a chance on a kid becoming a star or a bust, and it worked out. Sometimes you do that and it doesn't (e.g., Kravtsov, Jessiman).

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
This might be a dumb question but is Kreider a hall of famer? Probably doesnt have enough on his resume to get in. That brings me to my next question, how many players have their numbers in the rafters and ARE NOT in the hall of fame? I think Kreider just solidified that last night

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
This might be a dumb question but is Kreider a hall of famer? Probably doesnt have enough on his resume to get in. That brings me to my next question, how many players have their numbers in the rafters and ARE NOT in the hall of fame? I think Kreider just solidified that last night
He is not a HOFer

Graves? Richter? Not in Hall of Fame.

Reactions: romba

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Maybe subjectively you like one player more than the other, but objectively, Kreider is way better than Callahan.
Way way better. Agreed.

He's second only to Lundqvist in "Ranger Greatness" in the last 20 years. Shesty is the only other one that comes close but hasn't had enough time yet.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Easy no. No personal awards. His longevity with the organization gets his number retired though.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I remember they compared him to Mogilny.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
I think the reason why he's been so successful in the playoffs is because the things he's really good at translate perfectly into the post season. Whether it's game 7 in the playoffs or the seventh game of the regular season, he doesn't change his game. Sure the intensity is elevated but it's the same process. Deflect pucks, use your speed, go to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad