Player Discussion Chris Kreider

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes but a lot of people have been saying he "needs to be more consistent" for about 6 years now.

If Kreider was more consistent, he'd be making 10m a year.
People who say that somehow don't understand how the NHL works despite watching it every night.

If you score points in half your games, you're a superstar.

As far as outshooting the opponent with Kreider on the ice, we used to at least get that almost every night even when he was regular old Lazy Chris. I would be fine with getting regular old Lazy Chris.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Kreider has never shown anything that proves to me he can be anymore than he is today. Kreider, picked 19th overall, has had a good career and there's really no reason to be disappointed with what he has brought. He will never be on the level of Marchand though. I don't care who is behind the bench.

Kreider is what he is. We really shouldn't expect a 30-year old to all of a sudden elevate his game

He's definitely shown the ability to take over games and be the best player on the ice--in big moments and against top competition. I agree with your point overall, just not that he hasn't shown anything to suggest he could improve or that there's not more to give. (Not saying I think or even care to hope he will)

On that Kypreos segment, they named Kreider as a guy they thought would really benefit from Gallant. They mentioned his work with Pacioretty in MTL and then in Vegas. I wouldn't be surprised if Gallant--a laid back guy outside of games, not an over-coacher or micro-manager--helped Chris play more like a couple years ago. AV was also pretty hands off.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's definitely shown the ability to take over games and be the best player on the ice--in big moments and against top competition. I agree with your point overall, just not that he hasn't shown anything to suggest he could improve or that there's not more to give. (Not saying I think or even care to hope he will)

On that Kypreos segment, they named Kreider as a guy they thought would really benefit from Gallant. They mentioned his work with Pacioretty in MTL and then in Vegas. I wouldn't be surprised if Gallant--a laid back guy outside of games, not an over-coacher or micro-manager--helped Chris play more like a couple years ago. AV was also pretty hands off.

Yes, the biggest criticism of Quinn (by the players) was that he was always looking over their shoulder and micro-managing everything. It paralyzed players in important moments, second-guessing everything.

That coaching style might work in college where players need that hands-on approach but at pro level, players have their instincts to go off of.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
3 years from now, we will be here, talking about Kreider and some people will still hold out hope he magically "puts it together" and finally becomes a 30 goal scorer under the new coach who replaces Galant...
It is the Year 2247. It's opening night at Madison Square Garden VII

The New York Rangers have Dan "Actual Cyborg This Time" Giradi as the Head Coach. James Dolan IX is the owner of the team, as well as the newly re-re-re-re-named New York Baggy Pants (which Isiah Thomas still coaches). Drury is still the GM as he took "not ruining his weekend" to a new level and he just stopped aging altogether on calendar weekends, effectively reducing his aging by ~104 days every year.

Sather sits up in his box, smoking his cigar, and looking as youthful as he did in 2021. Literally the last natural human being on the planet. No one knows how he does it.

Kreider (who can still jump out of a pool btw, being the 'rare physical specimen' he is) is playing in his first season as captain for the New York Rangers, after the torch being passed down by the Meme Lord himself, Pavel Buchnevich (who was kept alive through his timeless connection with social media memeness) when he retired.

The puck drops.

The game goes on as normal, with the Rangers being hemmed in their own zone for a couple of minutes without a whistle. But suddenly...a breakaway...a pass across the ice to the speedy and streaking Kreider. The refs blow the whistle, and announce to the PA system: "New York. Number 20. Offsides."

same-as-it-ever-was.gif

13a227c95f4763fee65e864fc757c35d.gif

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
3 years from now, we will be here, talking about Kreider and some people will still hold out hope he magically "puts it together" and finally becomes a 30 goal scorer under the new coach who replaces Galant...

Hrm... let me break out the abacus and do a little math here...

50 games this year. 20 goals. 20/50 = .4

Now, let's take that number and multiply it by a regular regular season instead of this shortened shitshow that we had this year and we get:

.4 x 82 = 32.8 goals.

Well, well, well. Looky at that. Guess he put it together this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all next year if he does it under Gallant assuming he stays healthy.

That being said, I'm not a huge CK fan and never was and never will be. There was always more expected and maybe too much for a 19OA pick. IDK.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Since when? This is just another in a long line of weird Chris Kreider narratives that completely skews the reality of the situation.

The guy’s scored .5GPG once since high school and he has the ability to be a 40 goal scorer?

Doesn't 0.5 GPG equate to 40 goals over an 82-game season? :sarcasm:

Reactions: TheDirtyH

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Kreider just needs to creat space with his size and speed and cause havoc in front of the net on the PP. he should be enabling his line mates to score as a primary objective. Goals scored directly by him should be considered a bonus.
That’s always been his biggest strength. He creates so much for his line mates with out getting on the score sheet.

he’s in a weird category. He’s a line driver but he doesn’t need the puck

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Hrm... let me break out the abacus and do a little math here...

50 games this year. 20 goals. 20/50 = .4

Now, let's take that number and multiply it by a regular regular season instead of this shortened shitshow that we had this year and we get:

.4 x 82 = 32.8 goals.

Well, well, well. Looky at that. Guess he put it together this year. Wouldn't surprise me at all next year if he does it under Gallant assuming he stays healthy.

That being said, I'm not a huge CK fan and never was and never will be. There was always more expected and maybe too much for a 19OA pick. IDK.

And he did it while playing absolutely awful for half the season.

Kreider’s streakiness is what it is. Top players still make a positive impact when they’re having an off game. Kreider may as well not even play when he’s in one of his slumps. Makes his goal total even more impressive and frustrating lol.

But I don’t think it’s outlandish to think, in a perfect world, he could have hit 35-40 at some point.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kreider is still an excellent PP player. That didn't change last year even with all of his suckitude.

He blew 5v5 and he basically floated around for the last quarter of the season. That is unacceptable and if it was completely injury related, Quinn is an even bigger idiot than I originally though for continuing to not only throw him out there, but to give him the minutes that he gave him.

His production will likely continue to be what its been for a while (25-28 goals and 50ish points) which is all well and good... As long as he doesn't float around like an idiot like he did for long stretches last year.

Kreider ontop of his game is incredibly valuable even when he isn't scoring. That guy showed up like 10 times last year.

I see the annual Kreider amnesia has set in for some. Earlier this year than normal - at this rate we’ll have a Kreider for captain thread in a few weeks.

lmao.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Seems like Quinn was really into how you did things and how you looked doing them.

Kreider can't do anything without looking like a monkey humping a beachball.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Or how about f***in Chytil?

Chytil drives me crazy with visually ugly bad habits. Imagine what he did to Quinn.

I wouldn't be the least bit shocked if Gallant was the coach for Chytil.

The kid could also be dealt within like eight weeks.

I just don't see a scenario where we fire everyone and then make small trades this summer.

buckle the f*ck up boys

Reactions: leetch99

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Don't recall Arizona fans complaining when Shane Doan did pretty much exactly the same thing for them for 20 years.

That said, I don't know very many Arizona fans, but nonetheless...

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Goat really needs to up his crease game if he wants to be the next Kreider. Chris is not dirty. He just plays hard in the dirty areas of the ice and boards.
Goat does 1 thing that kreider does when he's on rolls like this. He doesn't seem to have the net front concepts that CK does. He doesn't have the shot CK does (even from out further), and he doesn't have the cycle game / puck protect when not rushing.

He's not the next kreider, or even kreider lite.

Gr8CornHolio

Feb 20, 2020
Kreider is who he is and a player every team needs. He’s the guy infront of the net you’ll notice him when he scores and won’t notice him when he doesn’t.

But he is doing his job even if you don’t see him on the score sheet

Reactions: haveandare

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Kreider is who he is and a player every team needs. He’s the guy infront of the net you’ll notice him when he scores and won’t notice him when he doesn’t.

But he is doing his job even if you don’t see him on the score sheet
Kreider is who he is... yes.

I agree until the end of that bit...

IF he played the way he has through these first games, yes every team needs a player like him.

IF he's still playing this way at Thanksgiving, then Xmas, then Easter... OK

I agree.

He doesn't and hasn't in his career. Yet.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Kreider has been playing like a guy who had to listen to himself and his teammates called wimps all summer.

Perhaps he took that personally.

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
If we can get 50-60 games of Bull Kreider, the team will go places. History doesn't support it.

If we can get enough games of this Kreider to keep us winning until the Big Guns find their scoring touch (conditioning, Panarin?), it'll be a major contribution.

I like that he's building the team's gladiator mentality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad