Player Discussion Chris Kreider

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
It's true. But there is something especially feel good about this hot streak. He has done a good job this year getting out in front of the media and speaking to the fanbase during the bad times, so I definitely appreciate him doing his part to back that talk up with his actions as well. He's gotten some puck luck, but he has also been much more engaged on the forecheck over the last ~2 weeks winning puck battlers. He gets full credit for that in my book.
he stuck up for Mika after the game too

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
It's true. But there is something especially feel good about this hot streak. He has done a good job this year getting out in front of the media and speaking to the fanbase during the bad times, so I definitely appreciate him doing his part to back that talk up with his actions as well. He's gotten some puck luck, but he has also been much more engaged on the forecheck over the last ~2 weeks winning puck battlers. He gets full credit for that in my book.

100% agreed. Im just jaded with Kreider at this point, like an ex you keep getting back with thinking its gonna be different this time. I wish he was consistent even when hes not puttin pts up, but I guess his Ovechkin streaks balance it out.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
He is what he is. The most consistent thing about his game for 10 years is the streakyness.
. Let’s be honest outside of the top elite players EVERY nhl player is streaky. I think the problem is and I’ve said this that our fans wanted Kreider to be a superstar and anything less than that was a disappointment in their eyes which I found silly. I mean he was picked 19th overall and has been a top 6 player for many years, good playoff performer, and is the unofficial captain. That’s pretty damn good

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
. Let’s be honest outside of the top elite players EVERY nhl player is streaky. I think the problem is and I’ve said this that our fans wanted Kreider to be a superstar and anything less than that was a disappointment in their eyes which I found silly. I mean he was picked 19th overall and has been a top 6 player for many years, good playoff performer, and is the unofficial captain. That’s pretty damn good

You can either be mad he’s not a 40 goal scorer or you can be realistic and appreciate the player that he is. The Rangers have no one else like him on the roster or in the system and on most nights neither does the opposing team. He was drafted out of high school for gods sake. Thankfully they didn’t trade him for Frederic last season like people here were suggesting.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
You can either be mad he’s not a 40 goal scorer or you can be realistic and appreciate the player that he is. The Rangers have no one else like him on the roster or in the system and on most nights neither does the opposing team. He was drafted out of high school for gods sake. Thankfully they didn’t trade him for Frederic last season like people here were suggesting.
. I agree. I also hate when people accuse him of being “lazy or taking nights off”. He is streaky like most players

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
The only players who never take nights off in a long season are generational players like Crosby, etc. It's an unfair criticism of Kreider, I think.

. I agree. I also hate when people accuse him of being “lazy or taking nights off”. He is streaky like most players

And yet his stat line ends up pretty much the same every year. I'd love to see him finally score 30 in a shortened season. People's heads will explode.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
And yet his stat line ends up pretty much the same every year. I'd love to see him finally score 30 in a shortened season. People's heads will explode.
. If you go back the last few seasons he tends to get hurt everytime he approaches 30 goals. I think 2 or 3 times he had 28 goals then got hurt. Last year he was on his way to 39 then got hurt and the pandemic hit. So he had had some bad luck

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Fun fact: When looking at goal pace for Kreider over the past 5 seasons, he has scored at 30 goal per 82 game clip. Maybe this is the year he actually posts the number 30.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Idk if everyone watched his post-game presser but he pretty much admitted that the team has been over-focused on being tight defensively to start the season and that it really hindered their offense. Confirms my suspicions from a few weeks back.

The difference between this year and last is that Mika is slicing his one timers hard. He had an empty net the other night short side and ended up putting it 3 feet wide on the other side. Him being ineffective on the pp has basically killed it.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
The difference between this year and last is that Mika is slicing his one timers hard. He had an empty net the other night short side and ended up putting it 3 feet wide on the other side. Him being ineffective on the pp has basically killed it.
Yeah last year the PP/Panarin + Zib were really carrying us while the PK sucked. This year it's opposite.
2021- D has 44 points out of 178 24.7%
2020- D has 183 out of 635 for 28.8%
While Fox is producing he doesn't attribute for Fox + DeAngelo and Trouba hasn't contributed much either.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It was winter 2019 and Kreider was in the midst of a great season. All of a sudden he stopped scoring. Like, completely.

And I was like "guys, he's hurt. I don't know what's wrong with him but something not right." And you were like "Machinehead you're just a crazy conspiracy theorist and you don't even watch our games!"

Then this came out: Chris Kreider Has Been Playing With A Legitimate Injury

And I was like "yeah, f*** you guys, I know what I'm talking about!" and then I remembered Kreider is hurt that's not a good thing. It was worse than I thought.

From the beginning of 15-16 through til the end of 18-19, Kreider posted these underlying numbers:

5.98 CF% rel
7.21 xGF% rel

That's as good as it gets. He was a count-them-on-your-fingers best play-driver in the NHL. That's why people liked him and wanted to bring him back.

Since the date that article was posted, 3/19/19:

1.84 CF% rel
-1.82 xGF% rel

To this day, I can't pinpoint the injury, I don't know what happened, I don't exactly when I started noticing it, but something was wrong with him. And he's never been the same.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Good news, we will not have to live through the remaining 6 years of Chris Staalardi's contract.

Bad news, We're going to have to sit through at least 4 years of it before he's bought out.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here's something I'm now wondering: why the f*** was Kreider playing hurt for months in a season where we had no shot at the playoffs at all and Rangers fans were actively rooting against the Rangers? This was the season where Namestnikov scored a late tying goal and this board wanted to burn him in effigy. Like, we were BAD and everyone knew it.

Either Quinn knew about it and said "we'll let him aggravate this so we win 32 games instead of 29" or he didn't notice it when I did.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It was winter 2019 and Kreider was in the midst of a great season. All of a sudden he stopped scoring. Like, completely.

And I was like "guys, he's hurt. I don't know what's wrong with him but something not right." And you were like "Machinehead you're just a crazy conspiracy theorist and you don't even watch our games!"

Then this came out: Chris Kreider Has Been Playing With A Legitimate Injury

And I was like "yeah, f*** you guys, I know what I'm talking about!" and then I remembered Kreider is hurt that's not a good thing. It was worse than I thought.

From the beginning of 15-16 through til the end of 18-19, Kreider posted these underlying numbers:

5.98 CF% rel
7.21 xGF% rel

That's as good as it gets. He was a count-them-on-your-fingers best play-driver in the NHL. That's why people liked him and wanted to bring him back.

Since the date that article was posted, 3/19/19:

1.84 CF% rel
-1.82 xGF% rel

To this day, I can't pinpoint the injury, I don't know what happened, I don't exactly when I started noticing it, but something was wrong with him. And he's never been the same.

That's a really interesting insight. Maybe he's still dealing with the injury.

Whether true or not though, it's obvious that the Zibanejad-Kreider combo has lost it's magic. Kreider's got great results away from Zibanejad this season. Last season in limited time, his best lines were with Chytil as his center. And the year prior, likewise, it was when he played with Hayes.

I don't think Kreider's washed yet. I do think it's asinine to staple him to Zibanejad "because". Just like I think it's equally dumb to marry Strome and Panarin especially after Strome has shown himself a capable top-6 talent away from #10.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That's a really interesting insight. Maybe he's still dealing with the injury.

Whether true or not though, it's obvious that the Zibanejad-Kreider combo has lost it's magic. Kreider's got great results away from Zibanejad this season. Last season in limited time, his best lines were with Chytil as his center. And the year prior, likewise, it was when he played with Hayes.

I don't think Kreider's washed yet. I do think it's asinine to staple him to Zibanejad "because". Just like I think it's equally dumb to marry Strome and Panarin especially after Strome has shown himself a capable top-6 talent away from #10.
I really hope it's just that the combo doesn't work anymore, which I could see.

That would mean we don't have an absolute corpse for the next six years.

Then again, KZB hasn't been great since early in that 18-19 season, so either way, Quinn is a moron.

Reactions: GoAwayPanarin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad