Waived: Chris Higgins (Update: Clears)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
"How to manage an asset, poorly"

Novel, by Jim Benning

How can this be Benning's fault- if not one of 29 other teams want him?

I would say there are three key factors here, and none of them have anything to do with Benning:

1) Father time

2) Exceptionally poor performance by Chris

3) His contract being what it is and for another year

What this does say pretty clearly that there is no asset there any more... Thanks for your service Chris, but this has come to an end now. We will remember you as we do other former players.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
If he clears, then it was the right choice and nobody wanted him. If he gets picked up, then we probably made an oopsie.

I don't really feel strongly either way about this, it's not nearly as bad as waiving Corrado and Markstrom.

To be honest though, I'd rather Higgins on this team than Dorsett, but that's not going to happen and isn't a huge deal either way.

Action

Jun 23, 2011
If a team grabs him off waivers, we should be happy.

We weren't moving him to get value. We were trying to make a roster spot.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I still don't think he gets claimed. Very few teams have the cap space to claim him, and it doesn't help that he has been very underwhelming this year and signed for another year after this. Lots of players have passed through waivers this year who would have normally been claimed 2-3 years ago, but this year has been something special.

I think the question we should be asking is do we buy him out in the off-season? It would give us a $833,333 cap penalty for two more years, as opposed to his $1.55M cap hit in the AHL for only one more year.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I still don't think he gets claimed. Very few teams have the cap space to claim him, and it doesn't help that he has been very underwhelming this year and signed for another year after this. Lots of players have passed through waivers this year who would have normally been claimed 2-3 years ago, but this year has been something special.

I think the question we should be asking is do we buy him out in the off-season? It would give us a $833,333 cap penalty for two more years, as opposed to his $1.55M cap hit in the AHL for only one more year.

Take the one year hit over two. Much the same as I would loath the team to eat salary and give a pick to move him.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
I don't mind how we handled Higgins over the last 48 hours. But I really hate losing an asset for nothing. A trend that I fear will continue under Benning.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Why not waive and trade prust or dorsett to get under the 23 roster limit...

Reason 1. Mentorship
Reason 2. Who will get into useless fights
Reason 3. Perhaps the most important of them all. Who will intimidate the rest of the league from Twitter.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Why not waive and trade prust or dorsett to get under the 23 roster limit...

Prust will have value at the deadline as his cap hit will be at its lowest. Dorsett has too much term left to just waive, it would kill any value he may have. Better off trying to work though it if a trade couldn't be worked out. Higgins is in the in-between, having a off year and shorter term. Not adding anything to the current team and not diminishing his current value.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
For his sake, I hope someone puts in a claim. But for the Canucks' sake it's probably better that he clears. The less cap space Benning has to blow the better as far as I'm concerned.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
There is absolutely no excuse to get 0 assets back for Higgins.

If Brandon Prust can return a project player and a 5th round pick, Higgins can at least return the same.

Of course Trader Jim destroyed any value Higgins had left so now we end up with nothing.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I don't mind how we handled Higgins over the last 48 hours. But I really hate losing an asset for nothing. A trend that I fear will continue under Benning.

Is Higgins actually an asset though? Doesn't the word asset imply providing some positive value? Can't quite recall much of anything Higgins has provided this year for $2.5 bones...

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I find it outstanding that we're watching certain player that have been dynamite the last few seasons all the sudden hit the wall and decline. Higgins, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis...Vrbata to a lesser extent too. I smell interference here, be it by coach, management, ownership or divine. Higgins was a middle six forward, Burrows was easily top six, Bieksa was a top four and Hamhuis was easily our top D...and now Burrows is a bottom six grinder with zero offense and Hamhuis is a borderline top four, with Bieksa and Higgins no longer on the team.

Well, I have a feeling Higgins will start playing better in a new environment. No pressure, likely taking a mentorship role, and more over a fresh off ice team. I just hope he doesn't become one of these "waivers to 30 goal scorer" stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad