Value of: Chris Driedger

oOwlCat

FL > TN
Jun 24, 2010
Nashville, TN
With it looking likely that he'll get drafted to Seattle - The Athletic included him at #3 in their "Tradebait Board."

What's the market like for a Pending-UFA goaltender (making 850k) right now?

upload_2021-3-3_9-7-18.png

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I'd be surprised if he's selected by SEA, simply because there was only one UFA picked by VGK and that was Engelland, solely because he's a Vegas native.

SEA may look to sign him as a UFA along with other teams but it actually helps FLA that they don't have to protect him (Montembeault will be exposed) and can negotiate with him even now (behind closed doors)
SEA will still want to select a FLA player who is under contract/control

As for value, not entirely sure but I'd hope Zito starts high at a 2nd round pick but likely settles for less

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The kraken will only take him if he agrees to sign. They are free to sign any ufa they want after the draft.

Mick Jagr

Nice guy, tries hard, loves the game.
Jul 11, 2009
Peterborough, ONT
twitter.com
What do Florida fans consider Driedger's ceiling to be? I don't know enough about the guy to judge him accurately other than he's been playing well and had a good stint last year too.

And I guess with Knight waiting in the wings and Bobrovsky not going anywhere, Driedger becomes expendable?

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I think it's very likely that the Leafs will try to sign him after the expansion draft if he's available. Andersen hasn't been consistent for the past 2 years, they can save $ by going into a 1A/B scenario with him and Campbell. It's risky but goaltending is totally unpredictable and not worth spending top dollar on unless you have a young elite guy like Vasy.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'll also echo in that I think Florida's $$ allocated to Bob likely means he's going to test the open market.

I could see the Leafs and Blackhawks being teams that could show interest. 3 year deal around 2.5-3M per would be a good jump.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
What do Florida fans consider Driedger's ceiling to be? I don't know enough about the guy to judge him accurately other than he's been playing well and had a good stint last year too.

And I guess with Knight waiting in the wings and Bobrovsky not going anywhere, Driedger becomes expendable?

26 total NHL games, 23 of those with FLA.
He's been solid, just a big body who's calm for the most part in the net.
Not swimming in the crease, very compact movement and stays big in the net when he drops to his knees. Really good rebound control, decent enough handling the puck.
Usually very square to the shooter.

Not too many weaknesses to his game that have been uncovered so far, which may come with a bigger workload.
His ceiling is likely a 1b option which he is doing right now, 35-45 games, maybe just maybe he has starter potential in him (50+ games) but any UFA teams shouldn't offer more than 2-3 years just in case he is a mirage.

My belief he isn't a mirage is because he plays beyond an average defense on FLA and has sparkling numbers, you put him behind an even better defense and he would do even better.

I heard a story that he wasn't committed a couple years back to working out and putting in extra time but a goalie coach (can't remember who right now) got on him and took the blinders off.

I'd be surprised if Zito doesn't try and bring him back on a 2-3 year deal around $3 mil per, a stopgap until Spencer Knight is ready in one or two years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laus723

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014

He reminds me of Robin Lehner. I'm not overly impressed ever watching him, but he seems to always make saves and have good numbers. He is calm and is great at getting in front of pucks, as simple as that sounds.

I've long believed he would crash back to being an AHL goalie. I felt the same about Lehner, but eventually you just have to admit that they're good at what they do.

Reactions: Mick Jagr

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He reminds me of Robin Lehner. I'm not overly impressed ever watching him, but he seems to always make saves and have good numbers. He is calm and is great at getting in front of pucks, as simple as that sounds.

I've long believed he would crash back to being an AHL goalie. I felt the same about Lehner, but eventually you just have to admit that they're good at what they do.

Good call, he was on my list as well.
Was going to say Ben Bishop like

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Quite a few teams will make a run. Someone will pay a high price for him. Darling-esque contract. Will be a good signing or a really bad one.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Quite a few teams will make a run. Someone will pay a high price for him. Darling-esque contract. Will be a good signing or a really bad one.
For this very reason I can't see teams giving him more than 2 years and the AAV should be lower too. My guess is 2x2.

Let's say they split the remaining games, Driedger would get around 17 games. That's a massive risk for any GM to give another potential Darling contract to a guy with 43-ish games under his belt.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
For this very reason I can't see teams giving him more than 2 years and the AAV should be lower too. My guess is 2x2.

Let's say they split the remaining games, Driedger would get around 17 games. That's a massive risk for any GM to give another potential Darling contract to a guy with 43-ish games under his belt.
I agree with you but, what GMs should do and what they actually do, rarely line up.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Why would Florida even consider trading him?

The return on goalies is always underwhelming. The Panthers are 4th in the league in point %, Driedger has played more games than Bobrovsky and has significantly better stats. Their taxi squad goalie (who would presumably be promoted to #2) has never played an NHL game.

I'm sure they lose him this offseason, but the focus should be on trying to win this year and Driedger could play an important role.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Why would Florida even consider trading him?

The return on goalies is always underwhelming. The Panthers are 4th in the league in point %, Driedger has played more games than Bobrovsky and has significantly better stats. Their taxi squad goalie (who would presumably be promoted to #2) has never played an NHL game.

I'm sure they lose him this offseason, but the focus should be on trying to win this year and Driedger could play an important role.
Because no one looks at the standings and assumes that Florida sucks ;)

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Hopefully Zito tries to sign him and either continue to have the two of them mind the net, or do matheson-esque trade work with Bob. Doubtful we move Bob, and if we do we’d be taking some crappy contracts in return, but I never thought we’d move matheson, so who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad