• Chris Chelios

Votes: 97 66.9%
  • Scott Niedermayer

Votes: 48 33.1%

• Total voters

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well I feel dumb. I expected the results to be fairly close based on how I see them discussed, but I was clearly wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: Voight

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Well I feel dumb. I expected the results to be fairly close based on how I see them discussed, but I was clearly wrong.
Don’t. The media have been hyping the hell out of Niedermayer for years. He’s been given that “legendary stoic Canadian winner” status, like Nieuwendyk before him and Toews since. It’s easy to think he’s a top-10 defenseman of all time the way he’s talked about.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
I don't think this is close.

Chelios was one of the most well-rounded defensemen in the history of hockey and (while it's obviously not relevant here) arguably the greatest American player ever. He was the total package, and while he couldn't skate at Niedermayer's level, almost no one ever could so that's no insult.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Chelios was elite for a lot longer. Niedermayer was really good but not really Norris level until late in his Devils tenure. At their best? Probably still Chelios, but it’s much closer. Though I wonder if Niedermayer might have blossomed earlier if he started in recent years. His game was tailored to this era, while Chelios couldn’t be as nasty today

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Huh. I'm surprised it's that one-sided.

I always hated Chelios for some reason. So i guess that probably colours my perception of him.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I like Chelios but I think I would take Scott Niedermayer over him in a heartbeat
just felt like he was the better overall Dman
Chelios has better Playoffs numberrs but means very little to me. I know he was a beast and played till he was like almost 50 but can't go wrong with with either choice.
Ill still take Scott Niedermayer

Puck Dogg

Puck life
Mar 13, 2006
Both have silverware, Chelios Norris trophies but Niedermayer is also part of the Triple Gold Club.

Voted Niedermayer as I think he is somewhat underrated in this poll.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Chelios and it not close...at all.

Niedermayer was last generations Jonathan Toews... massively overrated because he was lucky to play with much better players and got to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad