Choose a training regimen

Orange Fanta

Jun 22, 2016
If you were put into a position to task 3 players within our system to work on specific aspects of their game who would you choose and what will you have them do?
Dahlin: power skating and lower body off ice- I believe he is already a top tier skater but extra work we could see him become faster and much harder to knock off the puck and could help him recover from his mistakes

Eichel: doesn't need much should probably focus on his edges and all skills sort of like doing a daryl belfry camp- insanely fast and already great edges but with his strength he could use this to violently cut going full speed without losing any

Cozens: upper body and stickhandling- great all-around player but to transfer to the nhl with the way he plays needs to get stronger and while his hands are good i feel that is currently the weakest area of his game.

Its just for fun but don't say something like mitts needs everything (although i can't control what you post and it won't be a big deal) its about emphasizing specifics that players need to/could work on to improve as a player/ become more dynamic feel free to do more than three players if you want.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Dahlin: Power and accuracy in his shot. He can get it off but it is not a threat yet.

Skinner: Straightline speed. He has the edges but can get left at the gate in fire engine hockey.

Joker: Upper body strength. If he is to take a #1 spot he needs to be able to move the pile in front. He is great at tying up the opponent's stick though.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Dahlin: Strength and shooting. But I'm talking functional strength....not enough to lose his epic skating, but enough to more consistently win physical battles instead of relying on stickwork. Shooting should be self-explanatory

Jokiharju: Functional strength (like Dahlin) and edge-work skating. He already has very good passing instincts, but he's kinda caught in the same area with Dahlin as regards functional strength. Edge work to become a little more "slippery" on the back-end.

Tage: Functional strength (notice a theme?) and skating edge-work. Tage has the speed necessary. And the shot. Get his board strength/front of net strength up and get him a little more slippery and quicker to get to that top speed.

Reactions: Fezzy126

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Dahlin: Strength and shooting. But I'm talking functional strength....not enough to lose his epic skating, but enough to more consistently win physical battles instead of relying on stickwork. Shooting should be self-explanatory

Jokiharju: Functional strength (like Dahlin) and edge-work skating. He already has very good passing instincts, but he's kinda caught in the same area with Dahlin as regards functional strength. Edge work to become a little more "slippery" on the back-end.

Tage: Functional strength (notice a theme?) and skating edge-work. Tage has the speed necessary. And the shot. Get his board strength/front of net strength up and get him a little more slippery and quicker to get to that top speed.

Totally agree, and we could add quite a few more to the list of players requiring functional strength. It's funny that during the dad's trip, Paul Reinhart mentioned that Sam's biggest obstacle so far was not having "grown man strength". For our core pieces, outside of a physical freak like Jack, this has has the most been frustrating part of their development to wait for.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Totally agree, and we could add quite a few more to the list of players requiring functional strength. It's funny that during the dad's trip, Paul Reinhart mentioned that Sam's biggest obstacle so far was not having "grown man strength". For our core pieces, outside of a physical freak like Jack, this has has the most been frustrating part of their development to wait for.

And the funny thing about that is that Sam is the young(ish) guy I worry least about functional strength. You look at the organization and guys like Larsson, Risto, Bogo, Girgensons and others all have that functional strength.

But all of our top younger guys aside from maybe Asplund need major work on their functional strength. Hell, even a guy like Olofsson could use more. Mitts desperately needs it. So does Cozens. And Tage. And most of our young D, aside from Samuelsson.

Makes me wonder if our strength and conditioning coach needs an upgrade..........

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'd really like to see Tage learn to open up his stance a little when he draws the puck in tight to his body / skates. His elbows naturally raise up given his height, stick length, etc. I'm concerned one time he'll try that move, and someone will catch him from the blind side and cripple him. A wider stance / more stable and stronger base would hopefully lessen the possibility of him getting knocked flying and that happening.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad