Recalled/Assigned: Cholowski recalled

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I'll tell you what, the eye test shows Bowey as a bit of a disaster. But his stats are pretty decent. And he's been in enough games that his stats should even out any outliers. So I think the eye test is suspect.

But Cholo's numbers are terrible. And he's played in enough games where his outliers are evened out too.

Is that true though? It's not just about sample size like Baseball.

The environment the DRW are playing in as opposed to most of the rest of the league, renders most of their relative statistics at high risk for racking up irrelevant modifiers and bonuses.

Bowey is a good skater, and is positionally aware on initial rushes and chances. I would expect the general stats to reflect that, but his consistency in committing high leverage gaffes as plays develop, and the infrequency with which he extinguishes plays and moves the puck up ice in turn, is not something you need to turn beyond the eye test for, imo.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I'll tell you what, the eye test shows Bowey as a bit of a disaster. But his stats are pretty decent. And he's been in enough games that his stats should even out any outliers. So I think the eye test is suspect.

But Cholo's numbers are terrible. And he's played in enough games where his outliers are evened out too.

In another thread, the "giveaway" stat was brought up as being a bit suspect: You're hit with a giveaway if the opponent takes the puck from you, but not if you pass it to the other team. Which Bowey does almost every shift.

Don't get me wrong, I would love for him to succeed, just like I wanted Brendan Smith to succeed; however, the "eye test" for me tells me that his defensive awareness, decision making in the defensive zone, and passing from the back-end are terrible.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Oh don't get me wrong. Bowey is not good at hockey. But he appears to be serviceable, stat wise.

But Cholo is worse. Does he have more potential to right the ship? Lord, I hope so.

Reactions: RedMenace

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
young dmen can get chewed up in todays fast nhl . choski never seen anything like nhlers , the best 600 skaters on earth coming at him in wave after wave . went into brain overload . sort of like doing great in high school baseball hitting then going and facing a major leauge pitcher . so he cant be wrote off yet , ecspecially after his first season where he showed a real good offensive game . and he has the reach and graceful skating to become solid in his own end if he can get to a level of better thinking

Reactions: vladdy16

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Somehow I feel that Cholowski surprises all after this return to NHL.

He had bad statistics when he was up, but team has been even worse without him.

He has been there now taking lessons from Kronwall. Now we'll see some results. Young kids will learn.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Somehow I feel that Cholowski surprises all after this return to NHL.

He had bad statistics when he was up, but team has been even worse without him.

He has been there now taking lessons from Kronwall. Now we'll see some results. Young kids will learn.
I tend to think it'll be the opposite, maybe b/c he's "fooled" us 2x @training camp.
Granted GR hasn't been that great either, but still a minus every other game in GR.

19-20:
upload_2020-1-22_22-18-14.png

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I tend to think it'll be the opposite, maybe b/c he's "fooled" us 2x @training camp.
Granted GR hasn't been that great either, but still a minus every other game in GR.

19-20:
View attachment 311815

What's wrong with being a minus on a non-playoff team? The griffins are not great, Cholowski doesn't play on the top pairing. Not much to read into his 17 game, 2nd pairing AHL plus/minus stat, imo.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

19-20:
View attachment 311815
Hyperbole time: Lashoff has the highest plus minus on the team, he's clearly the best. Seider is only +2 better than Cholo, that means they are basically just as bad as each other.

Reactions: RedMenace

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Hyperbole time: Lashoff has the highest plus minus on the team, he's clearly the best. Seider is only +2 better than Cholo, that means they are basically just as bad as each other.

But, its also telling that on a team where less experienced and/or less talented players who play big minutes are plus whatever, he's still a sinking ship.

ArmChairGM89

Dec 10, 2019
What's wrong with being a minus on a non-playoff team? The griffins are not great, Cholowski doesn't play on the top pairing. Not much to read into his 17 game, 2nd pairing AHL plus/minus stat, imo.

I feel like cholo and Seider would be a very good pair. Big safe statue next to smooth offensive weapon. Wonder why they aren’t paired.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015

Griffins have been better lately (8-6-1-2 when Cholowski was there).

FWIW (probably not a ton considering the source?), after Cholowski was there for 12 games (he had 0G, 3A and was -8 at the time), he was given a D grade in a half season grade for the Griffins: Grand Rapids Griffins First Half Report Cards

Dennis Cholowski D 12 0 3 3 2 -8 19
The mobile rearguard is back in the AHL after spending the beginning of the season in Detroit for the second straight year. You can see that the tools are there, starting with his smooth skating and ability to thread passes through defenders and up ice. The problem is his confidence is shot, and he has regressed considerably from the last time he was in the AHL. His poor decision making, and defensive miscues are glaring and costly, and you can watch him overthinking plays which slows down his game. The organization is reaching a crossroad with Cholowski and may be best served by bring in a former NHL defender (Chelios, Kronwall, or Rafalski?) to work with him for the rest of the year in the hopes of getting him on track again.

To his credit, he has seemed to settle down a bit since being sent down. He totaled -9 (1 game at -3, 2 games at -2, 2 games at -1 and 1 game 0) in his first 6 games in GR (team was 2-3-1-0). He totaled 0 for the next 11 games (4 where he was a minus, 3 as a plus and 4 at 0).

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Seider also played in 2x as many games, many of which were when GR was playing badly. So double all of Cholo's stats & he's at a -18 in 34gp, vs. -7 in 34gp for Mo. That doesn't take into account the earlier slump GR was in so Cholo could've been even worse than -18! Not to mention QoC%, Mo is 1st pairing, leads TOI, meaning if Cholo had Mo's same TOI & QoC%, he'd likely be even lower!

Mo:
upload_2020-1-23_16-0-46.png

vs.
Cholo:
upload_2020-1-23_16-1-38.png

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Seider also played in 2x as many games, many of which were when GR was playing badly. So double all of Cholo's stats & he's at a -18 in 34gp, vs. -7 in 34gp for Mo. That doesn't take into account the earlier slump GR was in so Cholo could've been even worse than -18! Not to mention QoC%, Mo is 1st pairing, leads TOI, meaning if Cholo had Mo's same TOI & QoC%, he'd likely be even lower!

Mo:
View attachment 311961
vs.
Cholo:
View attachment 311963

Don't forget to double his point totals as well; that makes him at least as valuable as Bowey, maybe more! :laugh:

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018

Mo:
View attachment 311961
vs.
Cholo:
View attachment 311963
And he is 3 years younger

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
Bowey only played one game fro the Griffs recording a point in it.

And he is 3 years younger

Cholo's also 3 years younger than Bowey, has played just over half the NHL games Bowey has (82 vs 141), and about one-third the AHL games (43 vs 114).

Obviously Seider is a better player, I'm not contesting that; but I think, given enough time, Cholo can work it out and be consistently better than Bowey, at least.

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
I’ll be honest I don’t know what is going on with Cholowski. He showed so much promise when he broke in then he lost confidence and it seems like he’s never gained it back. He still shows the skills you love to see in a pmd, very fluid skater and great at keeping his head up with the puck on his stick. He used to show great IQ with the puck on his stick but that has seemed to fade.

I still believe in the kid but it’s getting to be time to see him round the corner on his mistakes. Really wish we had someone like Lidstrom in our system we could sit Cholowski down with and go over game tape with. Add that in with some power skating drills, weight training and d-zone drills (3 on 2 and 2 on 1’s)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad