Recalled/Assigned: Cholowski recalled

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I like the kid, I think he still has alot of potential... Hard to soar like an eagle when your surrounded by turkeys. I think he has good middle pair potential, and can put up some points if he figures out the defensive end. Nice to have young kids who can skate in the line up on the back end with Hronek.

Reactions: jkutswings

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I like the kid, I think he still has alot of potential... Hard to soar like an eagle when your surrounded by turkeys. I think he has good middle pair potential, and can put up some points if he figures out the defensive end. Nice to have young kids who can skate in the line up on the back end with Hronek.

The good news is, he's going to immediately be the best PP quaterback that Zadina will have a chance to play with to date. I imagine they will try to have Cholowski feeding Zadina on the second unit, not unlike how they had Cholowski feeding Mantha to start the year. And before anyone gets upset, Hronek has rarely played the QB role on the powerplay this year; they seem hellbent on him playing the LW half wall.

As far as even strength goes, I'd like to see Cholowski and Hronek play together and play big minutes. Give Cholowski a trial by fire. Let Bowey get supported defensively by Nemeth. Daley and Biega would probably be the best of a worst case scenario on the third pairing.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
I feel bad for Cholowski. He isn't great defensively, but he is exposed even more because of the terrible roster. Put him on the second-pair with a dependable stay-at-home guy (like a Brad Stuart) and I think he could really shine and be a 30-40 point D-man, and it would also help him learn. The lack of good D-men isn't just hurting the scoreboard, it's also hurting the development of our prospects.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I'm guessing he probably just comes up for one game and then goes back to GR.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I feel bad for Cholowski. He isn't great defensively, but he is exposed even more because of the terrible roster. Put him on the second-pair with a dependable stay-at-home guy (like a Brad Stuart) and I think he could really shine and be a 30-40 point D-man, and it would also help him learn. The lack of good D-men isn't just hurting the scoreboard, it's also hurting the development of our prospects.

this is where that dekeyser injury really hurts. a dekeyser - Hronek first pair sheltering a Cholowski-nemeth second pair would be much better for his development.

Reactions: 14ari13

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hopefully he can run with the opportunity. I think a lot of what he really needs to work on is off-season stuff but we will see. I thought he would get more explosion in his skating at this point. While his top gear and glide are a lot better I am starting to have XO worries in terms of he needs to improve his skating to make it. Looking for more start and stop hockey along with some semblance of physicality.

There is still a lot to like in his offensive package, but he has to improve defensively at this point to really progress towards that top 4 role.

If he can take those next few steps it really helps this rebuild.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hopefully he can run with the opportunity. I think a lot of what he really needs to work on is off-season stuff but we will see. I thought he would get more explosion in his skating at this point. While his top gear and glide are a lot better I am starting to have XO worries in terms of he needs to improve his skating to make it. Looking for more start and stop hockey along with some semblance of physicality.

There is still a lot to like in his offensive package, but he has to improve defensively at this point to really progress towards that top 4 role.

If he can take those next few steps it really helps this rebuild.

If XO skated like Cholowski he'd be on our first pairing.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Just keep him up please. Stop horsing around.

With Daley, Ericsson, and Green coming off the roster, you've gotta think they're going to give him every opportunity, especially next season, to make it.

Hell, maybe they're trying to showcase him to see if anyone wants him at the deadline.

However, even with people saying he's terrible defensively, he's still worlds better than Bowey, who gives the puck away at least 4 times per game. I'd rather keep him than Bowey.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
With Daley, Ericsson, and Green coming off the roster, you've gotta think they're going to give him every opportunity, especially next season, to make it.

Hell, maybe they're trying to showcase him to see if anyone wants him at the deadline.

However, even with people saying he's terrible defensively, he's still worlds better than Bowey, who gives the puck away at least 4 times per game. I'd rather keep him than Bowey.
He's not better than Bowey.

And that's really the problem, because Bowey is terrible.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
He's not better than Bowey.

And that's really the problem, because Bowey is terrible.

Defensively, he is absolutely better than Bowey; Bowey is faster and has better offensive instincts, but that's it. Cholo is a smoother skater, better decision maker with and without the puck, and just more stable overall.

(this is, of course, just my opinion)

Reactions: Oddbob

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Defensively, he is absolutely better than Bowey; Bowey is faster and has better offensive instincts, but that's it. Cholo is a smoother skater, better decision maker with and without the puck, and just more stable overall.

(this is, of course, just my opinion)
After the trade deadline I would expect to see Seider up for a few games.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I'll tell you what, the eye test shows Bowey as a bit of a disaster. But his stats are pretty decent. And he's been in enough games that his stats should even out any outliers. So I think the eye test is suspect.

But Cholo's numbers are terrible. And he's played in enough games where his outliers are evened out too.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
We are capable of losing 6-1, 8-2, etc etc with Cholowski entirely out of the lineup, or playing against the other teams 3rd and 4th lines.

There's no reason to shelter ourselves from what it looks like when you give Cholowski a few games as a 25-30 minute guy. There are going to be some dreadful shifts. But you also might find that the pace/flow/efficiency of those minutes in general is more reminiscent of a sustainable foundation than the bail water and duct tape format we are still trying to squeeze out of our gameplan.

Cholowski has faced criticism, adversity and lack of opportunity as an amateur, as a semi-pro and as a pro already. I don't really care to hear about how he can't play those minutes because if it goes poorly, it will hurt his confidence and development. That ship has sailed. Let's have some fun and get some guys on the same page moving the puck up ice, if it goes too far and we turn it over for a GA, it means nothing at this point. I'd say we are at the point where maximizing good shifts should be a higher priority than minimizing bad ones.

Reactions: jkutswings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad