CHL Top Prospects Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Tonights event was a skills competition which included a hardest shot, faster skater, and a puck relay, and was followed by a 20 minute 3 on 3 game.

Impressive:
*keeping in mind it was just skills and 3 on 3.*

Blair Jones, Moose Jaw (WHL)
Was all over the place tonight, and scored 2 goals in the 3 on 3 portion. Threw a nice big hit to start the hitting parade in the three one three as well. I really really really like this kid. Most impressive of the nigth, by far. Boy the kid can rifle the puck too, had he been picked for the hardest shot I figure he would have toasted everyone, he had such a quick release too.

Guillame Latendresse, Drummondville (QMJHL)
Had 5 breakaways in the 3 on 3 portion, as well as setting up two. He teamed up with Alex Bourret to form the most dangerous combination of the night by far, even better than Brule/Pouliot. He also went 3 for 3 on targets, but then proceeded to miss 4 more shots, to go 3/7. I really like Latendresse and think that if he can play like he did tonight, tomorrow evening his draft stock will go through the roof.

Alex Bourret, Lewiston (QMJHL)
The kid looked a lot like Robbie Schremp, skillwise. Don't get me wrong though he was actually surprisingly defensive in the 3 on 3 game, I was impressed with his overall build. Very small, but he is an absolute tank that has wheels. Definite top 10 material in my books.

Jean-Phillipe Levasseur, Rouyn-Noranda (QMJHL)
The kid stood on his head when Team Davidson had about 20 shots on him in the seocnd half of the three on three. He allowed one goal on an in close breakaway, but stoned about 10 scoring chances. IMO, he's the top CHL goaltender, by quite a bit. Some where saying Price, or Vincent could pass him up, but I don't think so. Based solely on skill, and effort.

Darren Machesney, Brampton (OHL)
Darren was the goaltender to the other side of Levasseur in the second half of the 3 on 3, and I can now see why CSB rated him at #3 for North American goalies. He was pure solid, great techincally. Just a sound goalie.

Oskars Bartulis, Moncton (QMJHL)
Bartulis played along side Bourret and Latendresse, and fed them both the whole 3 on 3, I was extremely impressed with his prowess on the blueline, and he even scored a fairly nice goal on a breakaway too. Good solid second round pick, IMO.

Non-Impressive:

Bobby Ryan, Owen Sound (OHL)
People are saying this kid should go #4 overall, and from now on I will laugh. His horrible skating was exposed unbelievably during the 3 on 3 play, and I don't doubt that the scouts were shaking their heads. He had a breakaway opportunity that most would have been in the clear on and he got caught before he could shoot. Before this kid goes top 10, he needs to do something with that S-L-O-W-ness. It's absolutely disgusting. However, ringing at with a 94.6mph slapshot is impressive.

Gilbert Brule, Vancouver (WHL)
God awful tonight. I'm not sure whether it was because he was nervous of the fans, or what, but he had maybe two good plays the whole time and screwed up royally on both, or just didn't do anything with the chance. He won his puck relay drill but that's only because his opponent Luc Bourdon tripped and fell, basically handing the victory to Brule, who also lost the puck. He's had a horrible second half in the season, and I definitely see him going 3rd overall, if not lower.

Marek Zagrapan, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
Was non-existant, just floated around all night. Definitely not a top 10 picks, especially considering when he got the puck he just gave it up right away. After a poor WJC, and so far a poor TopProspects Event, I'm dissapointed, and rate similar player Niklas Bergfors ahead of him.

Ryan O'Marra, Erie (OHL)
Not a very good skater, and definitely had trouble handling the puck tonight. I sense nerves from the kid, but he definitely didn't look good tonight.

Alexandre Vincent, Chicoutimi (QMJHL)
Didn't play very well at all, and was not very technically sound, which is strange coming from a french goalie. Just didn't look comfortable all night.

Anybody else?

Juan

Apr 30, 2002
Visit site
Fedz said:
Tonights event was a skills competition which included a hardest shot, faster skater, and a puck relay, and was followed by a 20 minute 3 on 3 game.

Impressive:

Was all over the place tonight, and scored 2 goals in the 3 on 3 portion. Threw a nice big hit to start the hitting parade in the three one three as well. I really really really like this kid. Most impressive of the nigth, by far. Boy the kid can rifle the puck too, had he been picked for the hardest shot I figure he would have toasted everyone, he had such a quick release too.

Had 5 breakaways in the 3 on 3 portion, as well as setting up two. He teamed up with Alex Bourret to form the most dangerous combination of the night by far, even better than Brule/Pouliot. He also went 3 for 3 on targets, but then proceeded to miss 4 more shots, to go 3/7. I really like Latendresse and think that if he can play like he did tonight, tomorrow evening his draft stock will go through the roof.

The kid looked a lot like Robbie Schremp, skillwise. Don't get me wrong though he was actually surprisingly defensive in the 3 on 3 game, I was impressed with his overall build. Very small, but he is an absolute tank that has wheels. Definite top 10 material in my books.

The kid stood on his head when Team Davidson had about 20 shots on him in the seocnd half of the three on three. He allowed one goal on an in close breakaway, but stoned about 10 scoring chances. IMO, he's the top CHL goaltender, by quite a bit. Some where saying Price, or Vincent could pass him up, but I don't think so. Based solely on skill, and effort.

Darren was the goaltender to the other side of Levasseur in the second half of the 3 on 3, and I can now see why CSB rated him at #3 for North American goalies. He was pure solid, great techincally. Just a sound goalie.

Bartulis played along side Bourret and Latendresse, and fed them both the whole 3 on 3, I was extremely impressed with his prowess on the blueline, and he even scored a fairly nice goal on a breakaway too. Good solid second round pick, IMO.

Non-Impressive:

People are saying this kid should go #4 overall, and from now on I will laugh. His horrible skating was exposed unbelievably during the 3 on 3 play, and I don't doubt that the scouts were shaking their heads. He had a breakaway opportunity that most would have been in the clear on and he got caught before he could shoot. Before this kid goes top 10, he needs to do something with that S-L-O-W-ness. It's absolutely disgusting. However, ringing at with a 94.6mph slapshot is impressive.

God awful tonight. I'm not sure whether it was because he was nervous of the fans, or what, but he had maybe two good plays the whole time and screwed up royally on both, or just didn't do anything with the chance. He won his puck relay drill but that's only because his opponent Luc Bourdon tripped and fell, basically handing the victory to Brule, who also lost the puck. He's had a horrible second half in the season, and I definitely see him going 3rd overall, if not lower.

Was non-existant, just floated around all night. Definitely not a top 10 picks, especially considering when he got the puck he just gave it up right away. After a poor WJC, and so far a poor TopProspects Event, I'm dissapointed, and rate similar player Niklas Bergfors ahead of him.

Ryan O'Marra, Erie (OHL)
Not a very good skater, and definitely had trouble handling the puck tonight. I sense nerves from the kid, but he definitely didn't look good tonight.

Didn't play very well at all, and was not very technically sound, which is strange coming from a french goalie. Just didn't look comfortable all night.

Anybody else?

Good work. I am curious to hear how Heshmatpour looked in the 3-on-3 - whether he showed any skill at all. I understand he won the hardest shot competition.

sunb

Jun 27, 2004
Yale University
Fedz said:

Impressive:

Non-Impressive:

Ryan O'Marra, Erie (OHL)

Anybody else?

How did Devin Setoguchi do?

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Heshmatpour can really shot the puck, and actually didn't look all that out place for a VERY large man in the 3 on 3 game. Heshmatpour was by far the largest man on the ice, and looked like a man among boys during the hardest shot, which it didn't even look like he tried.

Setoguchi dissapointed me offensively during the 3 on 3 game, but did impressive my physically when he threw the biggest hit on Portland Winterhawk, Brendan Mikkleson. Setoguchi also had a few battles in the corner that he almost always won, but offensively he was non-existant.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I was jotting stuff down in my program all along. I tried to keep track as best I could.

First up was the puck control drill. In the individual puck control it was Marc Staal vs. Benoit Pouliot. Pouliot lost control of the puck, regained it, and after that he stumbled and fell. Staal won handily because of that.

The second event was fastest skater, 3 guys went from each side. Wacey Rabbit won.

Wacey Rabbit - 13.95
Luc Bourdon - 14.4
Nicholas Drazenovic - 14.535
Ryan Parent - 14.75
Raymond Macias - ?
Gilbert Brule - ? - fell into the boards.

Next up was the hardest shot competition. 8 players took part.

Devereaux Heshmatpour 94.6/92.7
Blair Jones 93.7/-
Bobby Ryan 93.1/93.0
Devin Setoguchi 93.1/92.7
Benoit Pouliot 92.8/92.4
Alex Bourret 90.8/89.1
Luc Bourdon 90.3/88.6
Matt Lashoff 90.1/89.9

And finally, the accuracy. 6 players participated.

Ryan O'Marra 4/5
Chris Lawrence 4/5
Guillaume Latendresse 4/6
Chris Durant 3/7
Kenndal McArdle 3/7
Marek Zagrapan 3/7

Ok, now after this they cleaned the ice and started up a 3 on 3 game that lasted 20 minutes.

I tried to jot down who scored as it happened.

1 Team Davidson - McArdle
1 Team Cherry - Bartulis (or Parent? they both wore #7)
2 Team Cherry - Bourret
2 Team Davidson - Staal
3 Team Davidson - Macias
3 Team Cherry - Latendresse
4 Team Davidson - O'Marra
4 Team Cherry - Bartulis
5 Team Davidson - Jones (PS)

Now some randon thoughts:

Bourdon - skating impressed me. Quick and fluid, with good puck skills and the ability to make a nice first pass.

Kindl - definitely has the skill. Skating was very impressive, especially his lateral mobility.

Ryan - 3 on 3 not suited to his game I don't think. Can't judge him by this. Big and thick frame, average speed.

Heshmatpour - won the hardest shot. Saw him walking around in the concourse afterwards, this guy is an absolute mammoth. But to be honest, didn't notice him in the 3 on 3, I guess I was too focused on others.

Pouliot - played with Brule. Tall and skinny. Pretty good speed, but I didn't notice much else about him.

Brule - was stumbling around a bit today and losing control of the puck. Tried to do fancy moves in close on the goalie, but lost control.

Setoguchi - quick and fiesty. First half of the 3 on 3 was very tame, but it heated up a little in the second half and he was one of the guys involved in the hitting.

Ryder - looked like his brother out there, but in the way he skates and his speed. Tried the toe-drag on a partial break after a pass from Lashoff, but was poke-checked.

Latendresse - was hanging out around centre waiting for breakaway passes. By my count he had three, and scored with a nice move on one after taking a long pass from the goalie. He himself also made a nice long breakaway pass to Bartulis I believe, who scored.

Bourret - short, but built like a tank as many have said. Good speed. Was paired with Latendresse, and they had success offensively.

O'Marra - seems to have great hands. Both from his 4/5 in accuracy and a nice roof job short side in the 3 on 3 game.

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
Fedz said:

Impressive:

Non-Impressive:

Ryan O'Marra, Erie (OHL)

Anybody else?

Brule raced against Wacey Rabbit in the puck control not Luc Bourdon. He beat Rabbit by quite a margin. I agree he looked nervous and fumbled the puck a lot in the 3 on 3. Wouldn't put a lot of weight into the skills competition anyway. Even the one game doesn't really mean that much. One game doesn't make a player.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Fedz said:
Heshmatpour was by far the largest man on the ice, and looked like a man among boys during the hardest shot, which it didn't even look like he tried.

That's because he is isn't he? I thought I heard he was like 27 or something?

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
There are alot more players there then the ones mentioned.Did they not take
place in the contests?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Fedz said:

Maybe the reason you though Bourret looked like Schremp was because of those white skates ;) I agree though, they do look a lot a like skill wise but Bourret has that mean streak and the ability to put big players on their ass.

About Lavasseur...this is exactly why people should never look at stats when trying to rank goalies. I have watched Lavasseur a couple times and he has been perfect with his positioning and he is quick like a cat. His 3.45 GAA doesnt do him justice.

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
pei fan said:
There are alot more players there then the ones mentioned.Did they not take place in the contests?
I was wondering the same thing. For the past few years, every player has taken part in the skills competition.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Dan said:
I was wondering the same thing. For the past few years, every player has taken part in the skills competition.

They've just stopped posting the results because they don't think anyone is interested. For the last 2 years people around here start asking media types if they can post or e-mail the results and then they get posted here.

Dan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
West said:
They've just stopped posting the results because they don't think anyone is interested. For the last 2 years people around here start asking media types if they can post or e-mail the results and then they get posted here.
Well, who can we contact? I was one of those who emailed Morris Dalla Costa at London Free Press last year. He was very helpful. Let's see if we can get them.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Thanks for your notes Fedz. However, I didn't really liked the "I'm gonna laugh to people who are saying he's gonna top 10" or "there's no way this guy is top ten". That was 3 on 3 hockey, which give a huge advantage to fast players. Bobby Ryan and Marek Zagrapan maybe seemed non-impressive to you but hockey is played 5 on 5 last time I checked.

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
markov` said:
Thanks for your notes Fedz. However, I didn't really liked the "I'm gonna laugh to people who are saying he's gonna top 10" or "there's no way this guy is top ten". That was 3 on 3 hockey, which give a huge advantage to fast players. Bobby Ryan and Marek Zagrapan maybe seemed non-impressive to you but hockey is played 5 on 5 last time I checked.
I'm not basing my opinions solely on just the one skate. I've seen Zapragan in about 7 tapes this year, including two games against Canada, and will see him again tonight. He just isn't as good as many think.

Obviously Ryan will impress much more in the physical propsects game, but for someone who was hyped quite a bit on these boards, as a first time watcher I was completely unimpressed.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Fedz said:
I'm not basing my opinions solely on just the one skate. I've seen Zapragan in about 7 tapes this year, including two games against Canada, and will see him again tonight. He just isn't as good as many think.

Obviously Ryan will impress much more in the physical propsects game, but for someone who was hyped quite a bit on these boards, as a first time watcher I was completely unimpressed.

I've seen Zagrapan 8 times live this year, plus the WJC plus tonight, so you won't learn me anything about this guy. He has crazy potential IMO and I'd take him top 10 for sure.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
Let's judge a power forwad by his performance in a 3 on 3 game. They asked Don Cherry who had impressed hi mspecifically and he said Ryan, That there was something special about him.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Bourret and O'Mara are very impressive. Brule is looking pretty good too. Any word on Bobby Ryan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad