CHL to expand (max) 2 teams for 14-15

jayme2017

Nov 8, 2013
Would not shock me to see Cornwall/Ont in the league with in the next couple years.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I guess these will replace Rapid City and Allen once they pry themselves loose from this declining league.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
I know these cities will want to get into a bigger league, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see the new Houston arena being put to use here, or now that St. John's lost their AHL team, they might jump down a couple rungs on the ladder.

lennysundahl

Dec 21, 2006
Huntington, WV
I know these cities will want to get into a bigger league, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see the new Houston arena being put to use here, or now that St. John's lost their AHL team, they might jump down a couple rungs on the ladder.
St. John's in the CHL makes exponentially less sense than Brampton in the CHL. But then this is the CHL, so who knows :help:

ripham23232

Nov 6, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I'm on the road now so I can't provide the proof, but the CHL has an advertisement touting expansion possibilities in the latest issue of the SportsBusiness Journal. Turns out a header on the website too. It seems to me like a viable professional league would not need to "advertise" expansion opportunities.

spitshockey81

Jan 27, 2013
I read somewhere the CHL wants to go to Louisville KY, though nobody in Louisville has yet been approached. I'll see if I can find it and link it

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
I'm on the road now so I can't provide the proof, but the CHL has an advertisement touting expansion possibilities in the latest issue of the SportsBusiness Journal. Turns out a header on the website too. It seems to me like a viable professional league would not need to "advertise" expansion opportunities.

This isn't an expansion opportunity as much as it's a fallback position. Does anyone really think every team that is currently playing in the CHL will be back again in 2014-15? There's likely to be one or two teams that throw in the towel this summer.

Casper is a 95% likelihood for this fall, but if two teams bolt then the CHL is back to single-digit membership. Louisville is their insurance policy. If two teams from this season fold, expect Treliving & Company to hastily rush a Louisville product to the ice, just like Saint Charles was last summer.

This league is becoming so predictable, it isn't even entertaining during Silly Season.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
This isn't an expansion opportunity as much as it's a fallback position. Does anyone really think every team that is currently playing in the CHL will be back again in 2014-15?

Exactly what I was thinking. If they don't "expand" they might very well not have a league at all next season. Just expanding to ensure they have a base number of teams should any fold or leave.

JungleJON

May 10, 2011
Well here it is almost March and no announcement of a new team or teams joining the CHL for next year.
I would think they would want a jump on marketing/advertising/selling season tickets etc. plus building up their front office staff.
So if and when they are announced - will they have enough time? (I know this is the CHL we are talking about)

It just feels like the Silly Season should have broke loose by now.

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
So if and when they are announced - will they have enough time? (I know this is the CHL we are talking about)

The CHL isn't really concerned with doing things right...or staging a coherent plan to stabilize the league. Instead, they're just playing Whack-A-Mole every summer by hastily substituting franchises that have folded with new ones that will themselves fold in a couple years.

February is way too early for expecting the CHL to announce which revolving door will be spinning in July.

Off da post and in

Dec 2, 2013
Agree 100%. I have a strong feeling St. Charles will be gone after the season. Any other guesses who will fold or move.?

I respectfully disagree with your opinion on St. Charles' fortunes.
Looking at the CHL's standings one can notice the positive impact of the Chill. As of this date 8 of 10 members are above the .500 pct benchmark, and 7 of those squads are safely above that standard. That is great for the marketing and ticket sales of the majority of the CHL franchises. If anything the league should secure the existence of the Chill until they either fold as a league, or merge with the ECHL.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
I respectfully disagree with your opinion on St. Charles' fortunes.
Looking at the CHL's standings one can notice the positive impact of the Chill. As of this date 8 of 10 members are above the .500 pct benchmark, and 7 of those squads are safely above that standard. That is great for the marketing and ticket sales of the majority of the CHL franchises. If anything the league should secure the existence of the Chill until they either fold as a league, or merge with the ECHL.

So let me see if I got this straight, you are justifying keeping around a horrible team that's owned by another team for the sole purpose of it being a doormat to make the other teams look good? A Washington Generals analog if you will?

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
Agree 100%. I have a strong feeling St. Charles will be gone after the season. Any other guesses who will fold or move.?

I'm not so sure Saint Charles will fold. Missouri seems to be committed to this big mistake right now. Denver is probably the most endangered, followed by Brampton. If there are any big changes during the off-season, look for those two teams to be involved.

One "sleeper" in the CHL's Great Fold/Relocate Lottery is Tulsa. Their attendance numbers have been padded greatly this season, and the franchise was already on the verge of being folded last season before Wichita stepped in to buy it.

Gearhead82

Saginaw Gears 72-83
Apr 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I'm glad I didn't buy a Cutthroats jersey when I had the chance. What do you think the chances Tulsa goes to the SPHL like the MS Riverkings did?

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Now that I'm between jobs I have been attending a few Chill games with my girlfriend. While attendance is still way below average my girlfriend and I both estimated around 1500 or so for the games we went to, possibly 2000 for Brett Hull night. However I can say that the Chill have definitely improved their game atmosphere since the beginning of the season, while the crowds are still fairly quiet the atmosphere is better. I selfishly hope they stick around as it makes for a fun date night that doesn't break the bank. I just wish they have a better record next year as winning a few games now and then doesn't hurt attendance. Unfortunately I do know they won't be around too long.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad