CHL signs broadcasting deal with TSN/RDS/CBC

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
TSN only showing roughly 30 regular season games per Marissa Roberto on their social media.

That's actually kind of disappointing. They don't have much else to broadcast without the national NHL deal, and could easily do more.

Would be cool if they did it like their ATP tennis broadcast rights and show online-only games in addition to what's on TV.

Reactions: DaveG

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
TSN only showing roughly 30 regular season games per Marissa Roberto on their social media.

That's actually kind of disappointing. They don't have much else to broadcast without the national NHL deal, and could easily do more.

Would be cool if they did it like their ATP tennis broadcast rights and show online-only games in addition to what's on TV.

What does it involve for them to broadcast though? Are they just taking a local feed, or are they having to setup their own production, etc? I'm shocked they are willing to do that many games, cause I'm not so sure the demand would be enough to justify the costs. Unless it's a way to get some canadian content on the books to justify other events.

If they are simply airing a local broadcast, yeah they could easily do more. Or is this the start of some kind of streaming package for the CHL? (no idea if they already have something).

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
If they are simply airing a local broadcast, yeah they could easily do more. Or is this the start of some kind of streaming package for the CHL? (no idea if they already have something).

From article:

Additionally, the agreement includes approximately 20 French-language broadcasted games on RDS, early-season weekend games broadcasted by CBC Sports, as well as digital streaming rights featuring a CHL TV broadcast each week during the regular season on TSN, RDS, and the free CBC Gem streaming service.

Don't know much about CHL but looks like leagues already have a streaming platform on CHL Live Streaming – CHL for all games. If I understand this agreement will allow TSN/RDS/CBC to rebroadcast (no further production?) some of these games.

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Ah now we know for sure.. Eager to watch some CHL games on TSN as well as CBC.. will be great to see more teams involved.. I'm sure TSN will use the WJHC broadcast style for all games as well..will we see the tv schedules posted soon maybe next month?

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
Ah now we know for sure.. Eager to watch some CHL games on TSN as well as CBC.. will be great to see more teams involved.. I'm sure TSN will use the WJHC broadcast style for all games as well..will we see the tv schedules posted soon maybe next month?

Memorial Cup is a major property, weekly CHL games are not. There is a reason why SportsNet PAID to end their deal 5 years early with CHL. The ratings for random games or even marquee regular-season games aren't strong.

I wouldn't expect A talent to be working the games.

Reactions: skeena1

NorthStar

Dec 24, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Memorial Cup is a major property, weekly CHL games are not. There is a reason why SportsNet PAID to end their deal 5 years early with CHL. The ratings for random games or even marquee regular-season games aren't strong.

I wouldn't expect A talent to be working the games.

Ya might be right about this... possibly something else to see this coming fall.. might be different formats?

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Being from Kitchener I love this. I am sure that a few games of theirs will be televised. Bob McKenzie’s son Mike is the GM of the Kitchener Rangers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad