CHL Roster Rules/Freeze

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
Does anyone know when the CHL (WHL in this case) sets its roster where you cant add anymore players? All i can find is that the trade deadline is in jan. The reason i ask is, if the roster is frozen ealry for CHL would the oilers the be able to send Draisaitl down to the AHL without any concern about being sent to jr? This would b contingent on oilers finding some legitimate Nhl centermen.

If possible i would like to see Draisaitl sent to world jrs and then sent to the ahl for 30-40 regular season games followed by the playoffs. Getting a little ahead of myself i wouldnt mind seeing Draisaitl startn next season in the ahl for 30 or so games and then slowly being inserted into the nhl via sheltered minutes on the wing of the 3rd line. Finally in year 3 a transition to center, possibly 2C.

Shredator

Oct 6, 2009
Edmonton
I know that in the case of Draisaitl we have 9 games before sending him back to juniors before using the first year of his ELC.
We also have 40 games before we use a year towards his UFA status.

So I believe that we can send Draisaitl back to juniors before he plays 41 games.

He will not be able to play in the AHL as a 19 year old.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
I was thinking more about the WHL. When do they have to set their roster permanently i.e. No more trades, call-ups, or nhl send downs. With the date set it wouldnt matter that Draisaitl could be sent down he would be allowed to be sent to ahl.

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
And if oilers drag out that 39 games (playing world jrs) for Draisaitl past the whl roster freeze and then sent down to ahl, would that keep the extra year until free agency?

BigTime99

Mar 27, 2014
So as long as PA is playing, if Oilers decide to send Draisaitl back he can only return to PA? That can be in the middle of WHL playoffs> A game 7?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I was thinking more about the WHL. When do they have to set their roster permanently i.e. No more trades, call-ups, or nhl send downs. With the date set it wouldnt matter that Draisaitl could be sent down he would be allowed to be sent to ahl.

I would assume Draisaitl is on their "protected player list" or whatever they call it, so if he were sent back down, he would technically already be on their team and be eligible to play.

I don't think the AHL is an option.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I would assume Draisaitl is on their "protected player list" or whatever they call it, so if he were sent back down, he would technically already be on their team and be eligible to play.

I don't think the AHL is an option.
He could be sent back at anytime. PA would need an open player card to sign him to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad