Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

New Jersey will play Buffalo on Saturday, September 17 and Boston on Sunday, September 18.
(Buffalo will play Boston on Monday, September 19.) All three games are scheduled to start at 7:05 pm ET.
Games will be held at the HarborCenter - across the street from the First Niagara Center - in Buffalo, NY.
If interested in attending - tickets cost $10 per-game and they go on sale - 10:00 am ET - Wednesday, August 3.
Tickets can be purchased by phone at 1-888-223-6000 or online at Sabres.com.

Last edited:

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Didn't Joey Anderson have a real good tournament just 6 months ago? I was hoping to see him play this weekend. Unfortunately, he got cut from team USA, as well as some other notable names. Sucks.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Is that surprising?

Not too surprising, USA is deep up front (especially RW) as others have mentioned. Anderson should have a chance next year. Bunch of '97s in the mix for this year (*injured and/or being kept off the ice).

RW: Brock Boeser, Jack Roslovic (could play center), Christian Fischer, Tage Thompson, Alex DeBrincat, Jeremy Bracco, Kailer Yamamoto, Troy Terry, Tanner Laczynski

C: Clayton Keller, Logan Brown, Luke Kunin, Trent Frederic, Tom Novak, Colin White*

LW: Matt Tkachuk*, Kieffer Bellows, Riley Tufte*, Jordan Greenway, Erik Foley

Yamamoto is the only '98 of the remaining RW group, so there should be ample opportunity for Anderson next year.

As deep as the US is up front, I wish they were stronger on the back end.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Canada played an exhibition against Finland today. McLeod was very good. One of the top 3 Canadian players IMO. Was using his speed to set up chances, drew a penalty and had multiple nice passes to the slot area. I was very impressed with his game.

ForeverJerseyGirl

Dec 14, 2014
New Jersey
Canada played an exhibition against Finland today. McLeod was very good. One of the top 3 Canadian players IMO. Was using his speed to set up chances, drew a penalty and had multiple nice passes to the slot area. I was very impressed with his game.

Thank you for the updates. I'm pleased to hear McLeod did so well.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
I liked McLeod today against Sweden. He was playing fourth line and didn't get any PP time, but he was noticeable whenever he was out there. Using his speed and making plays, drew a couple penalties. He probably shouldn't have been as low in the lineup as he was. Very few Canadian players stood out to me.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I liked McLeod today against Sweden. He was playing fourth line and didn't get any PP time, but he was noticeable whenever he was out there. Using his speed and making plays, drew a couple penalties. He probably shouldn't have been as low in the lineup as he was. Very few Canadian players stood out to me.

I have a feeling that will be his role come January.

Canada has more skilled players then him and guys they seem to like better than him (Howden). He could be really effective in a fourth line role and on the PK because he will make things happen every time he's on the ice. He would likely be much more effective playing 10 minutes then playing 20.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

Did Cormier play today?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
McLeod needs to take the puck to the net. I don't think he's had a shot all game, maybe all tournament.

He's a monster on zone entries, and he's clearly got a high skill level, but he just passes the puck off too much. He'll burn his way up ice and then make a soft whatever pass across the ice just inside the blue-line and the play will die.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
All of Canada was bad tonight.
Including the top line guys like Marner and Jost.

Cormier just let in his 2nd allowed tonight.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Canada had a decent flurry midway through the first, but otherwise looked a bit off. US has the slight advantage in that a lot of these guys played together on previous iterations of the USNTDP (thought it showed especially on the PPs).

Cormier replaced Ingram midway through the game (possibly something they planned on doing regardless?). Ingram played okay. Thought the US took the foot off the pedal for a bit at that point.

Keller banked one off Cormier from behind the goal line for US' 4th goal. Nice work by Jordan Greenway to box out the Canadian defender and let Keller retrieve the loose puck. Cormier didn't have much chance on the 5th goal. US was on the PP, Brock Boeser had it in his wheelhouse and whistled a wrister through a screen. Tyler Parsons had a nice game in net for the US. McAvoy's open ice hit on Crouse was a beauty.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I have a sneaky suspicion that Bastian will be a better pro than McLeod and neither will be a top line player. There is a lot to like about McLeod in terms of playmaking and speed but a lot to be left desired in terms of finishing and other aspects of the game. If he stays at center I think Scott Gomez is his top end potential and that is if he learns to change pace of the game like Gomez did.

Bastian, from what I have seen, is quickly improving his biggest weakness. A large growth spurt can stunt skating for a few years. With Bastian, with above average skating at 6`4 and strong playmaking abilities off the cycle, that is a recipe for a top 6 center.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have a sneaky suspicion that Bastian will be a better pro than McLeod and neither will be a top line player. There is a lot to like about McLeod in terms of playmaking and speed but a lot to be left desired in terms of finishing and other aspects of the game. If he stays at center I think Scott Gomez is his top end potential and that is if he learns to change pace of the game like Gomez did.

Bastian, from what I have seen, is quickly improving his biggest weakness. A large growth spurt can stunt skating for a few years. With Bastian, with above average skating at 6`4 and strong playmaking abilities off the cycle, that is a recipe for a top 6 center.

I don't see McLeod/Gomez as a great comparison. But if McLeod can be anywhere near the playmaker gomez was, combined with his size, better skating and all around game, I think he'd be a fine #1.

I've grown on the Bastian pick, can definitely see the growth-spurt-hampering-coordination angle.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I don't see McLeod/Gomez as a great comparison. But if McLeod can be anywhere near the playmaker gomez was, combined with his size, better skating and all around game, I think he'd be a fine #1.

I've grown on the Bastian pick, can definitely see the growth-spurt-hampering-coordination angle.
McLeod maybe an overall faster skater however Gomez is certainly the better skater. Few in the games history could weave through the neutral zone like Gomez, especially in the trap era. Gomez is obviously the better passer as well.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Gomez's skating never struck me as all world. I thought his game was better defined by his offensive smarts, finding soft spots in the d, using the threat of the pass to create space etc.

elindholm

Jun 3, 2013
Gomez's skating never struck me as all world. I thought his game was better defined by his offensive smarts, finding soft spots in the d, using the threat of the pass to create space etc.
having awesome wheels didn't help? Gomez great skater

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
having awesome wheels didn't help? Gomez great skater

Gomez was a good skater.

But when I look at guys like Madden, Brylin and Gomez, it was not Gomez's skating that seperated him from those guys.

And he's certainly not in the Nied's realm of great skater.

Mcleod? Well I'm probably basing too much off highlights and the scouting reports to say he is a better overall skater then Gomer. But what I've seen does look pretty darn good.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
McLeod maybe an overall faster skater however Gomez is certainly the better skater. Few in the games history could weave through the neutral zone like Gomez, especially in the trap era. Gomez is obviously the better passer as well.

I don't see the Gomez in him. Gomez had that incredible knack to maneuver both his body and his stick to create chances and open up the ice. McLeod doesn't have that.

McLeod is much more North South than anything. I see him as more of a faster Zajac.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad