Prospect Info: CHL, NCAA & European Prospects Thread | Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevsFan30

Oct 21, 2004
New York
Wednesday's Activity:

OHL:
Blake Speers - 1 goal, 1 assist (PP), E, 4 shots, won 5 of 13 draws in SSM's 5-4 SO loss vs. Flint
*scored in SO (went 1st)
Colton White - 1 goal, 1 assist, +2, 2 PIM (hold), 3 shots for SSM

QMJHL:
Brandon Gignac - 4 assists (1 PP), +4, 2 shots, won 17 of 28 draws, 3rd star in Shawinigan's 8-1 win at Drummondville

WHL:
Colby Sissons - -2 in Swift Current's 5-1 loss at Lethbridge

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I feel like Speers has been very quietly putting up points since he got back from WJC

Well he's only played 6 games because he got injured the first period he got sent down lol

But he does have 7 points in those 6 games, not too bad.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Wednesday's Activity:

OHL:
Blake Speers - 1 goal, 1 assist (PP), E, 4 shots, won 5 of 13 draws in SSM's 5-4 SO loss vs. Flint
*scored in SO (went 1st)
Colton White - 1 goal, 1 assist, +2, 2 PIM (hold), 3 shots for SSM

QMJHL:
Brandon Gignac - 4 assists (1 PP), +4, 2 shots, won 17 of 28 draws, 3rd star in Shawinigan's 8-1 win at Drummondville

WHL:
Colby Sissons - -2 in Swift Current's 5-1 loss at Lethbridge

White's goal was a pretty sweet dangle and snipe.

Speer's goal was nice as well, working the point on the PP, some nice foot work fakes a shot moves in and rips it top shelf.

http://soogreyhounds.com/video/watch-jan-1817-fl-5-ssm-4-so

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Very nice goals and passes by both.

But White got roasted on the 1st opposing goal too.

That was him? Looked like he lost sight of him. I was actually liking the guy who made that rush. Kole Sherwood. In his +2 year. Possible UFA target? Has a brother at U of Miami with a similar interesting profile.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I was actually liking the guy who made that rush. Kole Sherwood. In his +2 year. Possible UFA target? Has a brother at U of Miami with a similar interesting profile.

Sherwood actually got signed by Columbus (de facto hometown) after he went undrafted in 2015. Columbus tried to trade back into the 7th round to snag him, but couldn't find a trade partner. They invited him to camp and he earned a contract.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Sherwood actually got signed by Columbus (de facto hometown) after he went undrafted in 2015. Columbus tried to trade back into the 7th round to snag him, but couldn't find a trade partner. They invited him to camp and he earned a contract.

Another Castron find I presume, before he left Cbj?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Another Castron find I presume, before he left Cbj?

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com...e-jackets-sign-new-albanys-kole-sherwood.html

The Blue Jackets passed on Kole Sherwood once, at the NHL draft late last month. It wasn't going to happen again. Sherwood, of New Albany, has signed a three-year, entry-level with the Blue Jackets after dazzling at the club's development camp last week in Nationwide Arena.

"We didn't sign him based solely on development camp," Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. "We watched him a lot in recent years, and he had strong support from some of our scouts.

Sherwood, 18, was considered a late-round prospect at the NHL draft in Sunrise, Fla., late last month, though some Blue Jackets scouts thought he should go much higher. He has exceptional speed and, said one scout, "an NHL shot."

Both Castron and Columbus head scout Ville Siren used Michigan as a home base, so I would imagine Sherwood being in the area would have been part of their territory as well. And as a local kid, I'd imagine some of their other scouts might have seen him if only out of pure convenience.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Pronman's mid-season rankings are up. He excludes every player in the NHL regardless of games played so no Zacha/Santini/Wood (although I question whether any but Zacha would be there).

Only Devils prospect in his top 50 F/D and top 10 goalies is McLeod at #33. His rankings are behind a paywall, so I'll just include what he wrote about McLeod.

"I've liked McLeod every time I've seen him this season, but I see his statistics and can understand why some New Jersey fans may be getting queasy. The concerns out of the scouting community on him center on how well he can go east-west, because his straight line speed is incredible for a player his size. He gains the zone with ease, he controls the puck well, he just needs to be a little more aware and creative, and the points will start coming in bunches"

For reference, he had Keller, Barzal, Strome, A. Nylander, and PLD as his top five.

Last edited:

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Pronman's mid-season rankings are up. He excludes every player in the NHL regardless of games played so no Zacha/Santini/Wood (although I question whether any but Zacha would be there).

Only Devils prospect in his top 50 F/D and top 10 goalies is McLeod at #33. His rankings are behind a paywall, so I'll just include what he wrote about McLeod.

"I've liked McLeod every time I've seen him this season, but I see his statistics and can understand why some New Jersey fans may be getting queasy. The concerns out of the scouting community on him center on how well he can go east-west, because his straight line speed is incredible for a player his. size. He gains the zone with ease, he controls the puck well, he just needs to be a little more aware and creative, and the points will start coming in bunches"

For reference, he had Keller, Barzal, Strome, A. Nylander, and PLD as his top five.

Where do you think he would have ranked Zacha?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I've never seen an uncreative player become creative. Typically is it quite the opposite as competition increases and time and space decreases.

But I don't think that is at all a concern. I'd be much more concerned about his shot and his overall offensive ability.

I admittedly have limited viewings of Mcleod. But from what I've seen from from camp to preseason to WJC I think Proman's analysis is hot air. Just content to fill a bucket on a website.

And Strome top 5 is a joke. Where does he have Kyle Connor? Cause I'd rather have him than most of that top 5. By a lot.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I've never seen an uncreative player become creative. Typically is it quite the opposite as competition increases and time and space decreases.

But I don't think that is at all a concern. I'd be much more concerned about his shot and his overall offensive ability.

I admittedly have limited viewings of Mcleod. But from what I've seen from from camp to preseason to WJC I think Proman's analysis is hot air. Just content to fill a bucket on a website.

And Strome top 5 is a joke. Where does he have Kyle Connor? Cause I'd rather have him than most of that top 5. By a lot.

I don't remember. I found the entire list somewhere in the depths of the internet but I couldn't post it here.

Pronman is interesting in that he really, really favors skill and production (usually) over everything else. I'd have to say he favors guys with the a ton of skill (like Keller's playmaking, McLeod's speed, etc.) and takes the chance that they will put it all together. His top 50s usually differ dramatically than any other site, but it does offer an interesting perspective.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
I don't remember. I found the entire list somewhere in the depths of the internet but I couldn't post it here.

Pronman is interesting in that he really, really favors skill and production (usually) over everything else. I'd have to say he favors guys with the a ton of skill (like Keller's playmaking, McLeod's speed, etc.) and takes the chance that they will put it all together. His top 50s usually differ dramatically than any other site, but it does offer an interesting perspective.

He did say though that he's not the biggest fan of Adam Mascherin despite the skill and production because of his skating at that size.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Maybe he doesn't list Connor cause he's played 19 NHL games?

But the start to his pro career has been very blah.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Where do you think he would have ranked Zacha?

Probably not that high. One criticism I have with Pronman is that he seemingly leans heavily on stats. Ie Samuel Girard being ranked as the 5th best D prospect, but wasn't able to crack the Canadian WJC squad. Or Taylor Raddysh/Cliff Pu being ranked over Brock Boeser.

Strome is still top 5 for me, at least with all the other NHL rookies who didn't qualify for the list. Not sure I could name 10 prospects that I'd for sure rather have than Strome. Connor was in the mid-30s, which is lower than I'd have him.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Probably not that high. One criticism I have with Pronman is that he seemingly leans heavily on stats. Ie Samuel Girard being ranked as the 5th best D prospect, but wasn't able to crack the Canadian WJC squad. Or Taylor Raddysh/Cliff Pu being ranked over Brock Boeser.

Strome is still top 5 for me, at least with all the other NHL rookies who didn't qualify for the list. Not sure I could name 10 prospects that I'd for sure rather have than Strome. Connor was in the mid-30s, which is lower than I'd have him.

Perhaps I spoke too quickly without information. I didn't understand the criteria. What is the cut off? Is there an NHL game cut off?

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Barzal has only played in 2 reg season games for NYb.

He looked good in the last two preseasons for them and was a top play-driver for Team Canada.

I'd rank him in my Top-5 easily.

McLeod has some great tools and needs to spend prob another year in juniors next season to improve the total skillset.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Perhaps I spoke too quickly without information. I didn't understand the criteria. What is the cut off? Is there an NHL game cut off?

I use my standard definition of 25 NHL games in a single season or 50 career to graduate, but due to games still being played I also do not include any players currently in the NHL, regardless of total games played. So for this edition, Dylan Strome and Kyle Connor are eligible, but Jesse Puljujarvi, Kevin Fiala and Shea Theodore are not.

THN Future Watch issue (usually early March) will probably be a little bit less sexy than recent years for similar reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad