CHL Imports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone give me any information as to how these less talked about imports are faring this year in the CHL?

Juraj Gracik
Zdenek Bahensky
Roman Psurny
Michal Birner
Ivan Baranka
Roman Tomanek
Juraj Prokop
David Krejci
Marcus Jonasen
Vladimir Svacina
Andrej Sekera
Stefan Blaho
Gennady Churilov

Strengths/weaknesses? Have they met expectations? What sort of playing time are they receiving? Shown progress from the beginning of the season, and in some cases have they shown progress from last season?

Any input is appreciated.

flip588

Mar 22, 2004
Andrej Sekera has played well in Owen Sound. He's a welcome addition to what was a very weak blueline, at the beginning of the year. He was recently named to Team Slovakia for the WJHC.

He's got 2 goals and 8 assists for 10 points in 21 games. He plays more offensive than his numbers indicate. He often jumps out of nowhere and into a rush, a great rushing d-man, who logs quite a few minutes. And at 6', 200 lbs., he also plays fairly physical. He's not a guy that will send you through the boards but he'll knock you off the puck.

reffree

Apr 24, 2003
ste-justine québec
Visit site
Gennady Churilov

I like what I see from him, he as great vision and skates well, he works relativly hard in the corner and have some hands. Is main asset is definitly is vision of the game, he make great pass to is linemate but didnt go for the net as often as you want. Didn't play on the PP but play on the PK. Games I've seen him he was playing on the third line with Courcelles and Melanson who are good player but their style of play is more like natural third liner, they play the corner then go to the net fore rebonds. He didn't clic with them, I've seen him play some shift with Gratchev and the chemestry was a lot better, Churilov preffering to control the puck than playing in the corner. He can work on is shot and try to go more fore the net. Right now he is very dependable of is linemate, looking good with players who are more flashy and looking so so with third liners who put less imagination in the play... I like him but as to be more involved in the play and going harder to the net will be a great start.

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Thanks guys, very thorough information. :)

Anyone familiar with any of these other players care to comment? WHL fans have input on Gracik, Psurny, Bahensky etc?

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Bahensky started off pretty hot but has kind of cooled down now...17 points in 27 games. i believe inconsistancy was a knock on him and maybe he's displaying that...but from all accounts, he has played a very NA style game, very good skater, can crash the boards, score some goals...dangerous shorthanded.

Ivan Baranka is a second year guy, seems to be a pretty solid overall defenseman but doesn't particularly stand out in one area. decent size, can play with an edge, can be used in all situations...

mind you i haven't seen them play, i've just read up on how they've been doing in general

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Levitate said:
Bahensky started off pretty hot but has kind of cooled down now...17 points in 27 games. i believe inconsistancy was a knock on him and maybe he's displaying that...but from all accounts, he has played a very NA style game, very good skater, can crash the boards, score some goals...dangerous shorthanded.

Ivan Baranka is a second year guy, seems to be a pretty solid overall defenseman but doesn't particularly stand out in one area. decent size, can play with an edge, can be used in all situations...

mind you i haven't seen them play, i've just read up on how they've been doing in general

I've read about them as well. I was hoping for first hand scouting reports from people who have seen them throughout the season to get a better read on how they're performing and progressing. I actually haven't heard much about Psurny at all, though his numbers appear to be decent.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
David Krejci gets first line type icetime. Often he is paired up with countryman Petr Pohl. Krejci has been THE highlight for us here in Gatineau in these first couple of months. He is noticeable since he always hussles and always tries to be the difference maker when the score is tied or close.

He has exceeded expectations here.. He's not afraid of the traffic or getting hit (like Pohl was last year) and if i'm not mistaken, he's leading the team in points.

On a few occasions, he has provided us with highlight reel goals by making the opposing dmen look VERY silly.

Lefty

Mar 1, 2002
Saskatoon
www.myspace.com
I can only comment on Zdenek Bahensky. I think he has already been described pretty well. He was very impressive early in the season, and he still does play pretty well. Inconsistency definitely is a problem though. He's quick and fast, but can take the body. At times he is borderline chippy and cheap (he has got a major or two so far this season for slashing or checking from behind), which is another problem. He is however deadly shorthanded, as he has 2 or 3 SHG so far this season. Overall, as a Blades fan i've been pretty impressed with him to date. Hopefully he can pick up his play though, along with his whole team.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
reffree said:
Gennady Churilov

I like what I see from him, he as great vision and skates well, he works relativly hard in the corner and have some hands. Is main asset is definitly is vision of the game, he make great pass to is linemate but didnt go for the net as often as you want. Didn't play on the PP but play on the PK. Games I've seen him he was playing on the third line with Courcelles and Melanson who are good player but their style of play is more like natural third liner, they play the corner then go to the net fore rebonds. He didn't clic with them, I've seen him play some shift with Gratchev and the chemestry was a lot better, Churilov preffering to control the puck than playing in the corner. He can work on is shot and try to go more fore the net. Right now he is very dependable of is linemate, looking good with players who are more flashy and looking so so with third liners who put less imagination in the play... I like him but as to be more involved in the play and going harder to the net will be a great start.

isn't churilov like gratchev...a "russian-american?"

Olorin

Aug 23, 2002
Visit site
Lefty said:
I can only comment on Zdenek Bahensky. I think he has already been described pretty well. He was very impressive early in the season, and he still does play pretty well. Inconsistency definitely is a problem though. He's quick and fast, but can take the body. At times he is borderline chippy and cheap (he has got a major or two so far this season for slashing or checking from behind), which is another problem. He is however deadly shorthanded, as he has 2 or 3 SHG so far this season. Overall, as a Blades fan i've been pretty impressed with him to date. Hopefully he can pick up his play though, along with his whole team.

I'm glad to know he plays with an edge, even if he is a bit dirty at times. I believe his penalty totals were pretty high last season with Litinov.

As far as his shorthanded play, does he rely on defensive awareness to exploit chances or is it more a result of skill and not necessarily defensive prowess?

Tipped Off

Baranka

Being a Tips season ticketholder both years I've seen Baranka a lot. He's a decent enough player, but nothing overly "special" about him. He takes some time off every year to play for Team Slovakia. This year it's in North Dakota so he won;t miss as much time as last year. He had 15 points (3 goals, 12 assts) & 69 PIM in 58 games last year, but then had 8 points in 20 playoff games with 26 PIM...including some big time goals in the Kelowna series. The only two fights I've ever seen him involved in, he's won them. He's an 85 born so he only has another year if he sticks next season. The interesting thing is, in 106 games for the Tips, he has a +/- of -8...That's interesting when you consider the tips have scored 31 more goals then they've allowed during that same span. OVerall I'd say he's not a major prospect but a good piece of the puzzle on a defensive minded team.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Tomanek initially looked good playing with Ladd and Getzlaf of the Hitmen. Then Pushkaryev arrived and has just been much better. Tomanek has had a minor injury or two, hasnt done much, doesnt get on with his coach apparently (although all of their stars seem to be getting benched for this and that.. not sure what is going on).

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Propkop left the Medicine Hat Tigers due to family difficulties back home. The Tiger's worked hard to keep him - trying to get his mother into Canada - but at the end of the day they couldn't work it out so he went back home.

Roman Psurny is one of the top rookies in the WHL this year and (a Ranger's draft pick) is playing very,very well. He's a combintation of Pavel Bure (the way he skates and shoots) and Martin Gelinas (goes to the corners and roughs up a bit). He will be a very decent NHL player on day. And I predict, next year, he will be a point leader in the WHL.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Peter said:
Roman Psurny is one of the top rookies in the WHL this year and (a Ranger's draft pick) is playing very,very well. He's a combintation of Pavel Bure (the way he skates and shoots) and Martin Gelinas (goes to the corners and roughs up a bit). He will be a very decent NHL player on day. And I predict, next year, he will be a point leader in the WHL.

Great to hear!
:handclap:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
pretty good for a 5th rounder with psurny...actually has decent size if he puts on weight, supposedly listed at 6'1 175

petruzalek is amazing me really...small guy, 5'9 167 he's listed at, but he just keeps putting up points. 9th round pick, and he's leading all rookie scorers in the OHL with 33 points in 25 games, as well as leading his team in scoring...and his +11 isn't too shabby either. obviously his size is going to be a big concern during his development but he seems to be pretty damn skilled...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad