CHL Awards - RNH wins Prospect of the Year, Yakupov wins ROY

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Didn't see a thread on this so I might as well post it. So far some notable prospects who have won an award include:

Yakupov - Rookie of the Year
Hamilton - Scholastic Player of the Year
Nugent-Hopkins - Prospect of the Year
Kuemper - Goalie of the Year
Ellis - Defenseman of the Year + Player of the Year

I'll try to keep this updated

Last edited:

Pick Six

@Lafortune_FC
Jan 1, 2009
Mississauga
If he was the next one he would've won Prospect of the Year and maybe Player of the year too.

He couldn't have won the Prospect of the Year because he's not eligible to be drafted until 2012. Tavares won Player of the Year in 2007 but not the Prospect of the Year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He can't win Prospect of the Year untill next year. And he's a very good candidate for CHL Player of the Year next season when it's his actual draft year.

He couldn't have won the Prospect of the Year because he's not eligible to be drafted until 2012. Tavares won Player of the Year in 2007 but not the Prospect of the Year.

Hmm don't know about this. Very interesting rule, but kind of stupid imo.

Yeah he does have a great chance to win it next year.

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
Do you anticipate him starting the year in Nashville or on the farm?

Not that you asked me but I think he'll start on the farm. Nashville has solid defense already and Ellis would benefit from a year (or at least a few months) in the AHL.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Do you anticipate him starting the year in Nashville or on the farm?

It's actually kind of tough to say. It stands to reason that he'll get at least some time in Milwaukee, but his camps the last two seasons, including time in preseason games, have been *so good* that he wasn't a stretch to have made the team those years. Also, I look at both Cody Franson and Jon Blum...both of which I expected to spend more time in Milwaukee than they did, and now both are fixtures (as it stands now).

I think if Nashville believes that Ellis is close to NHL ready, even CLOSE, they'll trade Franson in a deal to pick up scoring help. Nashville's system allows defensemen to sort of learn the ropes at an easy pace, since Weber and Suter log so many minutes. Trotz sort of picked\chose when to play Franson and Blum until he was comfortable letting them do their thing more freely. I could see Ellis making the team given our terrible need for a true PP QB, and then sort of weaning him in at ES as well.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Not that you asked me but I think he'll start on the farm. Nashville has solid defense already and Ellis would benefit from a year (or at least a few months) in the AHL.

Yeah that's the best bet. That's what the Devils did with Henrique (played for Windsor spitfires last year also) this year and he's played incredible and transitioned into the pro's very well. I think he went 25G, 25A in his first pro year so he'll most likely be a very solid player. If the Pred's do that with Ellis, his development will improve ad he'll become a great player.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
It's actually kind of tough to say. It stands to reason that he'll get at least some time in Milwaukee, but his camps the last two seasons, including time in preseason games, have been *so good* that he wasn't a stretch to have made the team those years. Also, I look at both Cody Franson and Jon Blum...both of which I expected to spend more time in Milwaukee than they did, and now both are fixtures (as it stands now).

I think if Nashville believes that Ellis is close to NHL ready, even CLOSE, they'll trade Franson in a deal to pick up scoring help. Nashville's system allows defensemen to sort of learn the ropes at an easy pace, since Weber and Suter log so many minutes. Trotz sort of picked\chose when to play Franson and Blum until he was comfortable letting them do their thing more freely. I could see Ellis making the team given our terrible need for a true PP QB, and then sort of weaning him in at ES as well.

Something else to note is that Ellis, from report of Admirals fans, stepped right in when he was assigned to Milwaukee and looked completely comfortable, at times even the Ads' best player. To get going that quickly in the AHL, after a long OHL season\playoff, is encouraging.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
IMO I would start Ellis in the NHL for the first couple of games, but if he isn't improving then send him down for the rest of the season.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Just curious, but who was the WHL defenseman of the year. I have heard 3 different reports (albiet not official), name 3 different players. Yahoo said Tyson Barrie won it for the 2nd year in a row, the CHL site said it was Stefan Elliot, and I have heard people say it was Brayden McNabb

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Just curious, but who was the WHL defenseman of the year. I have heard 3 different reports (albiet not official), name 3 different players. Yahoo said Tyson Barrie won it for the 2nd year in a row, the CHL site said it was Stefan Elliot, and I have heard people say it was Brayden McNabb

2009-2010
Winner: Tyson Barrie
Runnerup: Stefan Elliott

2010-2011
Winner: Stefan Elliott
Runnerup: Tyson Barrie

McNabb was definitely in the consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad