Movies: Child's Play (2019 reboot)

Sep 19, 2008
I heard they was coming out with a TV show :laugh: why

lol I knew I recognized April Ludgate from Parks and Rec :laugh:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That is one awful trailer. Who thought that it was a good idea to play sitcom music throughout a horror movie trailer? It comes across as completely un-scary. I sure hope that the movie is nothing like that trailer, because that makes it look like something to skip.

Sep 19, 2008
Buddi app :laugh:

Seeing all these modern devices like smartphones and digital thermostats seems cool

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
That is one awful trailer. Who thought that it was a good idea to play sitcom music throughout a horror movie trailer? It comes across as completely un-scary. I sure hope that the movie is nothing like that trailer, because that makes it look like something to skip.

because that's what Child's Play is?

It's always been on the campy, somewhat self aware side of the horror genre

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
That second trailer is much better, I love the idea of an app/smart device gone wrong.

And I'll watch anything with Brian Tyree Henry in it.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
because that's what Child's Play is?

It's always been on the campy, somewhat self aware side of the horror genre

The first three Child's Play films were legit horror films. The first, in particular, is quite scary, or at least it was in 1988. The two sequels tried to be scary, even if they were too poorly written to be. It wasn't until the 4th movie, Bride of Chucky, that the franchise took a hard turn away from scariness and toward camp and humor. That lasted for two films until the series went back to its horror roots with Curse of Chucky. There are more films in the franchise that have been horror than have been campy, so I wouldn't say that campy epitomizes the series, though I can't blame anyone for believing that, since that's the image that it held for a long time.

For anyone who hasn't seen them yet, I recommend the two most recent films, Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky. They're surprisingly decent for 6th and 7th entries in a horror franchise and even hold 76% and 77% critic ratings at RT.

Last edited:

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Went to see the movie last night. You have to separate the Chucky everyone knows from the other movies with this version of Chucky going into this one. Fun movie and worth the watch.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Film opened up in 2nd place grossing $14M at NA box office

Though fine given budget ($10M) it was below expectations of studio and analysts which expected an $18M opening and with new Annabelle opening next weekend and likelihood of similar audience profile this film is expected to take major dive next weekend

Rebooted franchise future is up in air with regard to potential theater releases. Its possible (Maybe probable) that any future sequels would be straight to VOD/DVD

With expected drop and lower opening it seems a $30-40M gross would be best case left for film which is below what was hoped which was a Ma like performance (That film is closing in on a 45M gross at NA box office). If it reaches $30-40M then it falls in line with the Dennis Quaid "The Intruder" which was released earlier in year with $8M budget and grossed around $35M

If it drops dramatically (As is often case with Horror films) and finishes in $25-30M range its likely this will be one off or will be followed by a very cheap sequel straight to VOD

This is likely the last time Child's Play franchise is released nationally in theater IMO

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I enjoyed it for what it was. Hamill did a great job and I liked certain things about it, the movie was ridiculous but c'mon...its a Chucky movie....

Would have been down for a sequel in some way tbh, but doubt we ever get one.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
My review from another thread...
Child's Play [2019] :

I've never seen any of the previous editions, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

The 2019 edition is suppose to be, as far as I can tell, half comedy, half horror. It works as a comedy. It does not work as a horror film.

Aubrey Plaza is sexy, as always.

5/10

Movie Trailer :

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia