Confirmed with Link: Chicago trades Niklas Hjalmarsson for Connor Murphy, Laurent Dauphin

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
How many people on this board wanted to keep Rundblad playing instead of the press box? I think back to that in regards to prospects. Could Murphy make us regret this trade? Sure. But as it stands now, I'd prefer Hammer to help OEL, than sit back and wait to see if Murphy pans out. Hinterland, you're fighting hard, and I hope we can eat crow, but as it stands now, this was a great move. You've stated that in a rebuild they need to accumulate the farm then sprinkle in vets to help. When do you do that? What makes a team decide when to do that? Look at the Oilers. Before McDavid, they were a train wreck full of young kids. He is just that good. We would have been that Oilers team without the veteran pressence. Imagine our team without the moves that GMJC made. What would you expect this team to do. Who is to say they can't use assets down the road to acquire another D man if Hammer decides to move on. Shoot, we could even flip him next season for assets.

If Murphy pans out, great. If not, this is a great trade because we are better off. I'm sorry, but I don't want to be an Oilers fighting for a top 5 pick for 5 years in a row.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Agreed, Connor wasn't going anywhere. He was one of those wishful thinking prospects. We kept waiting for him to turn into this amazing player and it wasn't happening. We didn't lose anything on that deal.

I agree. I would have Murphy on my third pairing, but not what we were paying him. In Chicago, he might be on the second pairing, but he can be sheltered there.

How many people on this board wanted to keep Rundblad playing instead of the press box? I think back to that in regards to prospects. Could Murphy make us regret this trade? Sure. But as it stands now, I'd prefer Hammer to help OEL, than sit back and wait to see if Murphy pans out. Hinterland, you're fighting hard, and I hope we can eat crow, but as it stands now, this was a great move. You've stated that in a rebuild they need to accumulate the farm then sprinkle in vets to help. When do you do that? What makes a team decide when to do that? Look at the Oilers. Before McDavid, they were a train wreck full of young kids. He is just that good. We would have been that Oilers team without the veteran pressence. Imagine our team without the moves that GMJC made. What would you expect this team to do. Who is to say they can't use assets down the road to acquire another D man if Hammer decides to move on. Shoot, we could even flip him next season for assets.

If Murphy pans out, great. If not, this is a great trade because we are better off. I'm sorry, but I don't want to be an Oilers fighting for a top 5 pick for 5 years in a row.

This was a great trade for the Coyotes, it's the Rangers trade I'm not sure about. The Rangers wanted to get rid of their #1C, which is kind of a red flag considering they are hard to find. I also understand why the Coyotes did it. We were in a tight spot and it cost us.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Connor Murphy needed a change of scenery. He will be better for the Hawks than he would have been for us.

Some seem to be fixated on potential. You can't attract a crowd (or get an arena) on potential.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Connor Murphy needed a change of scenery. He will be better for the Hawks than he would have been for us.

I hope he is. I like Connor a lot and the basic elements of his game appealed to me. But what we need is someone not just to execute a better fundamental game, but to do it well enough that we can free up OEL to play his more wide-ranging offensive game, while also instilling some veteran confidence in our D-corps. Hjalmarsson fits that bill better than Murphy does.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I agree. I would have Murphy on my third pairing, but not what we were paying him. In Chicago, he might be on the second pairing, but he can be sheltered there.

This was a great trade for the Coyotes, it's the Rangers trade I'm not sure about. The Rangers wanted to get rid of their #1C, which is kind of a red flag considering they are hard to find. I also understand why the Coyotes did it. We were in a tight spot and it cost us.
The Rangers also needed cap space. Stepan's NTC kicks in this upcoming season (for 2 years), the modified for NTC the remaining 2 years. Rangers have to re-sign Zibanejad, Fast and Smith plus make potential play for Shattenkirk this year and have Miller, Hayes, Grabner, Vesey and Skjei up next season.

Cap management was the driver of the trade for the Rangers.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Rangers also needed cap space. Stepan's NTC kicks in this upcoming season (for 2 years), the modified for NTC the remaining 2 years. Rangers have to re-sign Zibanejad, Fast and Smith plus make potential play for Shattenkirk this year and have Miller, Hayes, Grabner, Vesey and Skjei up next season.

Cap management was the driver of the trade for the Rangers.

Yeah, you are probably right. I forgot they were still after Shattenkirk, and I think Zibanejad will be better than Stepan.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I hope he is. I like Connor a lot and the basic elements of his game appealed to me. But what we need is someone not just to execute a better fundamental game, but to do it well enough that we can free up OEL to play his more wide-ranging offensive game, while also instilling some veteran confidence in our D-corps. Hjalmarsson fits that bill better than Murphy does.

Murphy was always going to take too many hard defensive assignments here until there was a 1RHD to help take on top minutes. This was always going to hold him back. Whether that means he wasn't allowed to be as engaged offensively or having to spend more time on the PK then other #4/5's. He is going to have an opportunity to be a key contributor in Chicago while not having to solely focus on being defensively responsible. He will have more opportunities to pinch, and may even get some PP time. Good for him.

Having a top RHD is really going to open the door for Chychrun and Wood (once he makes the leap) to develop correctly. It's a shame we had to move DeAngelo, but the move does the same thing that adding Hammer does to our forwards.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Hey Yotes fans ... I really get the sense that this trade is a win win for both teams.
Hammer is a humble warrior who gives his all. He is on a slight decline but that is to be expected with all the wear he has had over the past 10 years.
He will immediately improve your overall D.
Murphy will be given every opportunity to flourish in Chicago. I for one will welcome his physicality as that has been sorely lacking in Chitown for quite some time. Perhaps he can pair up with Keith and raise his game accordingly.
At any rate all the best for Hammer in the Desert!

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
Hey Yotes fans ... I really get the sense that this trade is a win win for both teams.
Hammer is a humble warrior who gives his all. He is on a slight decline but that is to be expected with all the wear he has had over the past 10 years.
Murphy will be given every opportunity to flourish in Chicago. I for one will welcome his physicality as that has been sorely lacking in Chitown for quite some time. Perhaps he can pair up with Keith and raise his game accordingly.

As to you, crazyhawk. You guys will like Murphy, great character and will throw a huge hit from time to time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I like Murphy but he regressed this last year. He was a 3RHD playing behind Schenn/DeAngelo/Stone. Murphy isn't a 1RHD and I don't think he will ever get there. His upside is 2RHD IMHO. I hope I'm wrong and he does well in Chicago but I think you are going to be disappointed.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

They didn't want to get rid of Stepan as far as I know. Gorton stated outright that he was reluctant to get rid of him but they are trying to do an "on the fly" kind of reset there - I doubt they make the playoffs next year to be honest. Chayka was trying to get Stepan for an entire year so they were definitely not pushing him out.

Last edited:

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I like Murphy but he regressed this last year. He was a 3RHD playing behind Schenn/DeAngelo/Stone. Murphy isn't a 1RHD and I don't think he will ever get there. His upside is 2RHD IMHO. I hope I'm wrong and he does well in Chicago but I think you are going to be disappointed.

Well I hope you're wrong too!
He should certainly have the motivation to take it to the next level.
A 2RHD is fine if that's his limit. Again .. and I base this on his being healthy, I can't wait to have a defensive D who has size and isn't afraid to use it. His leadership ability is always welcome too! Seabs is getting a tad longer in tooth every year!:nod:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Well I hope you're wrong too!
He should certainly have the motivation to take it to the next level.
A 2RHD is fine if that's his limit. Again .. and I base this on his being healthy, I can't wait to have a defensive D who has size and isn't afraid to use it. His leadership ability is always welcome too! Seabs is getting a tad longer in tooth every year!:nod:
Murphy always played significantly better in the world championships(away from playfair, our previous defensive coach). I think it's possible that he has a breakout year in Chicago with different coaching. I doubt he ends up better than Hjalmarsson, but I think he'll have a very good year. 2nd pairing is probably a reasonable expectation IMO.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Murphy always played significantly better in the world championships(away from playfair, our previous defensive coach). I think it's possible that he has a breakout year in Chicago with different coaching. I doubt he ends up better than Hjalmarsson, but I think he'll have a very good year. 2nd pairing is probably a reasonable expectation IMO.

Top end for Murphy is a 3/4. Last year he regressed to a bottom pairing D.

Hjarmarsson is a legit top pairing D.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Top end for Murphy is a 3/4. Last year he regressed to a bottom pairing D.

Hjarmarsson is a legit top pairing D.

Everyone regressed and looked awful last year. Even Chychrun was slapped down by the coaches after he started to outplay OEL. The staff and the losing was in their heads, making it hard to really judge anyone.

Murphy has the tools to be a solid #3 guy. He just needs competent coaching and a team that isn't constantly pinned in their own zone.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Everyone regressed and looked awful last year. Even Chychrun was slapped down by the coaches after he started to outplay OEL. The staff and the losing was in their heads, making it hard to really judge anyone.

Murphy has the tools to be a solid #3 guy. He just needs competent coaching and a team that isn't constantly pinned in their own zone.

I've always been an advocate for Murphy. Top end of 3. Most likely a 4/5.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You are full of it. "Everyone regressed"? I think the kids progressed very well last year. The only way Murphy plays on a second pairing is if he is sheltered, like he was here with OEL. Murphy was one of the reasons the Yotes were pinned in their own zone.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I've always been an advocate for Murphy. Top end of 3. Most likely a 4/5.

Murphy is a third pairing guy. The only reason he played first pairing here was because of his chemistry with OEL. Schenn, who also is a third pairing, replaced Murphy on the first pairing, so what does that tell you about Murphy.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
You are full of it. "Everyone regressed"? I think the kids progressed very well last year. The only way Murphy plays on a second pairing is if he is sheltered, like he was here with OEL. Murphy was one of the reasons the Yotes were pinned in their own zone.

I think you're both right to an extent. Chychrun really did look like our best defenseman for stretches last year...he has the ability to be dominant in this league. I think Murphy tops out at a 3/4 as well - he'll never be a legit #2. His advanced stats have him as a bottom pairing guy but that could change in CHI. As far as "everyone" regressing, I think it was just a weird year...even though I agree with Jakey that the young guys did make positive strides, it seemed really back and forth. There wasn't a steady upward trajectory all year - it was just really herky jerky back and forth where it looked like a lot of guys would progress for 10 games and then regress the next 10 and that seemed to be kind of how the whole year went. Overall I think that Dvorak, Perlini, Crouse, Chychrun definitely improved.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Murphy is a third pairing guy. The only reason he played first pairing here was because of his chemistry with OEL. Schenn, who also is a third pairing, replaced Murphy on the first pairing, so what does that tell you about Murphy.

Tells me last year he was a bottom pairing D. Year previous he looked like a middle pairing guy. Overpaid if he's a 5/6.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Because of our overall lack of talent over the past decade we have always given Murphy types more responsibility than would be appropriate given their skill levels. I have no issue with Murphy. He was asked to do more than he could. He will make a fine 3rd pairing guy and occasional 2nd pairing guy given the right match ups.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Because of our overall lack of talent over the past decade we have always given Murphy types more responsibility than would be appropriate given their skill levels. I have no issue with Murphy. He was asked to do more than he could. He will make a fine 3rd pairing guy and occasional 2nd pairing guy given the right match ups.

I think that's well said and sums it up quite nicely.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tells me last year he was a bottom pairing D. Year previous he looked like a middle pairing guy. Overpaid if he's a 5/6.

I think the Yotes wanted Stone with OEL, but they had no chemistry, so Murphy was kind of thrown to the wolves. Murphy's stats the last two year were almost identical, so how did he go from middle pairing to bottom pairing? Murphy probably will play middle pairing in Chicago because of their lack of talent at RD.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

You hit the nail on the head.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad