Speculation: Chicago off season move

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Toews at 50% retained would prompt a substantial return and jump-start a rebuild if that’s the way the Blackhawks are heading (Look at the Stepan trade+++), but I don’t see it happening under any circumstances. Toews means too much to Chicago, and the retention would be a cap-killer if/when Seabrook and Keith continue to decline on top of the value of the Hawks’ other hefty contracts.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
15 Million to fill 7 spots, Tavares take 12, 500K for the other 6?

All their RFAs will likely get under 1.5m. They can fit in Tavares but there would be a lot of factors beyond next season that make it a bit riskier. Will there be a compliance buyout in the future to use on Seabrook? Can they move Anisimov next year and Murphy the following season to clear cap to sign Schmaltz and DeBrincat, etc.

Their D would be dogshit but at least it would be fun to see DeBrincat-Tavares-Kane

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
The only significant players CHI has that don't have full NTCs are Brandon Saad, Connor Murphy.

Although, Crawford can name a 10 team trade list which rules out a majority of the league since he could easily name 10 teams that already have significant money invested in goalies. So in practice, he probably has very close to a full NTC as well.

Anisimov's full NTC expires on July 1st, and he can name 10 teams.

So what exactly can CHI do? Are there trades out there that can bring the team back to the playoffs by dealing Saad, Murphy, and Anisimov? Would any of their big stars who might still have trade value like Kane, Toews, or Keith be willing to waive their NTCs to go else where? If they did opt to do that, would it even make sense for CHI given that any return those players would get would be deflated by the player being able to pick and choose where they go due to their NTC?

This is the first off season in a long time where CHI won't have cap issues. They should have around 12M to fill 6 roster spots, with Duclair likely being their most expensive extension, and he will only get 2M max on a bridge deal. The big problem is, they have too many players locked in with NTCs. They can't rebuild, and even with their cap space, they don't have the prospects or the ammo to go through a major re-tool.

Lack of young talent isn’t the problem, that was the bright spot this year. Debrincat, Schmaltz, and Hinostroza all have had great years and are looking like top 6 guys moving forward. Rutta and Forsling showed stretches of solid play on the backend and should improve even more next year.

The big problem this year was Crawford going down and pretty much all the veteran players having their worst years simultaneously. If Bowman moves one of their 1sts for a D or signs someone in Free Agency, they look much better. They just need their core to not have the worst years of their careers. That and competent goaltending and they’re certainly back in the mix for the playoffs.

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
CHI should just stay put. with a healthy Crawford they were in a WC spot, and that is with Saad having the worst season of his career. The trades last off-season were still laughable (imagine Panarin with the young guys like DCat, Schmaltz, Hinostroza and Hayden to a lesser extent).

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
All their RFAs will likely get under 1.5m. They can fit in Tavares but there would be a lot of factors beyond next season that make it a bit riskier. Will there be a compliance buyout in the future to use on Seabrook? Can they move Anisimov next year and Murphy the following season to clear cap to sign Schmaltz and DeBrincat, etc.

Their D would be dog**** but at least it would be fun to see DeBrincat-Tavares-Kane

It would be interesting to see how they manage it, 3 10 million plus guys, on 1 roster in a cap area, would be impressive.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Retaining Toews at 50% doesn't even make sense. You get $5 million in cap room, but all you can really do with that is replace Toews with another 2nd line center. What did you accomplish?

xNogaitx

Akuna Matata.
Sep 9, 2017
Edmonton
50% is probably too much retention. Montreal is probably the first time in line for a trade, but I'm unsure what would make it enticing for Chicago--perhaps the prospect of no retention, something to help now, and some futures all in the same package.

So what you're saying is that another rebuilding team should sacrifice little they have left in terms of prospects to acquire an overpaid 2C just because?

Not saying there isn't a trade to be made for Toews at 7M, but the pieces going back wouldn't be enticing enough for Chicago to pull the plug, and MTL is already stuck with its own 10.5M bad signing to justify adding another one just to prevent a proper rebuilt to take place.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
So what you're saying is that another rebuilding team should sacrifice little they have left in terms of prospects to acquire an overpaid 2C just because?

Not saying there isn't a trade to be made for Toews at 7M, but the pieces going back wouldn't be enticing enough for Chicago to pull the plug, and MTL is already stuck with its own 10.5M bad signing to justify adding another one just to prevent a proper rebuilt to take place.
images

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
. with Duclair likely being their most expensive extension, and he will only get 2M max on a bridge deal

Duclair gets 2 million. I’ll be livid. He’s done next to nothing with the hawks to earn more the standard %10 bump. I’d be okay with 1.5 but that’s probably the highest i’d go.

They probably move anisimov for pick if they sign sikura as they will be guaranteeing him a spot.

member 290103

Toews to Edmonton for cap dump and their 1st round pick this year.

Seabrook to Canucks, cuz Dim will be all over that shite.

Keith to Toronto for 1st round pick this year.

Chicago rebuilds.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
OK, the Hawks are out and it doesn't look like next year will be much better. If the Hawks were to retain 50% of his salary what could they get for Toews? Not saying he's a bad player, he's had a decent year point wise on a bad team but something has to give. IMO, I don't think you'd get much for Keith or Seabrook but Toews would bring back value.

At 50% he is blue chip and should bring back a few building blocks. A team like columbus that not only needs a top center, but also could use winning experience should be first in line

Could see an offer like murray, jenner, a first... id make that offer.

As for keith... id hope my bruins were front and center bidding on him. Id give up one of our kid dmen prospects, kevan millers contract, and if chicago ate some salary i could give up our first rounder too

It might make it impossible to bring back chara... but keith would be a huge pickup for a cup contender like boston. He has value

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
Toews to Edmonton for cap dump and their 1st round pick this year.

Seabrook to Canucks, cuz Dim will be all over that ****e.

Keith to Toronto for 1st round pick this year.

Chicago rebuilds.

Then let me guess Kane to Buffalo for Eichel?

Yeah that’s not happening save for maybe seabrook and Nsh 1st for Dorsett

member 290103

Then let me guess Kane to Buffalo for Eichel?

Yeah that’s not happening save for maybe seabrook and Nsh 1st for Dorsett

No keep Kane. I honestly think Toronto would go for Keith and Chia-pet would go for Toews. The missing link to multiple cups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad