Chicago Cup Window has been closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just amazing content in this thread! Surprised OP hasn't started a blog or got hired by The Hockey Writers. REAL INFORMATIVE.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I've been a DIE HARD Blackhawks fan since 2009, but what can I say? Today was a disaster. Thank God my number 2 team is the Penguins.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I know you're taking the Panarin trade a little personal, but they still have Anisimov, so they should be good, right?

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
Chicago is still a top 10 team and has just as much of a chance to win a cup as any other top 10 team

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Just now realizing this. Thread should've been made the second Toews signed that contract :laugh: You just can't overpay a player by 4M and expect to remain competitive. Hossa's "serious" medical issue will certainly benefit them, but they have so many terrible contracts that they're done. Been done. Did it to themselves.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
How are you a " Die hard" if you've been a fan since 09? A die hard is someone who is loyal through good and bad. There's been no bad in Chicago for a decade.

Exactly.

And I like how your #2 fave team is convieniently one who now has the same # of Cups as the Hawks have won since 2010.

Wait, why didn't you just become a Pens fan in '09 when Crosby and co. got their first Cup then?? What was so great about the '09 Hawks??

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
I said in a previous thread that their window is still open.

I retract my comments. By trading Hjalmarsson and Panarin and losing Hossa, you have lost three impact players that cannot be found easily, especially in the case of Panarin who seemed to be the only player that didn't drag Kane down when placed on a line with him.

Additionally, the only commendable player they got in return was Saad who was regressed since leaving Chicago.

This was definitely a cap deal but let's face it; they are definitely done as contenders if they don't make another big splash or two. There are rumours they are going after Oshie

Last edited:

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
Just now realizing this. Thread should've been made the second Toews signed that contract :laugh: You just can't overpay a player by 4M and expect to remain competitive. Hossa's "serious" medical issue will certainly benefit them, but they have so many terrible contracts that they're done. Been done. Did it to themselves.

The thing with Toews was, he's the captain. He was a free agent and actually took LESS to stay with the Hawks than he could have gotten by leaving. So the Hawks didn't overpay, Toews has underperformed the last 2 years, and he will even admit it.

But, Bowman did make some bad decisions on some other contracts like Seabrook and Kruger.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Closed? Absolutely not. There is still enough high-end talent on that roster to put together another run if things fall into place.

But it's definitely taken a hit.

hagelin1381

Mar 27, 2016
Orlando, FL
Seems as if they traded for slightly lesser talented players because they're cost controlled for the forseeable future.. I think Hossa being out for the year hurts them more than either of these trades do but we will see

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
I've been a DIE HARD Blackhawks fan since 2009, but what can I say? Today was a disaster. Thank God my number 2 team is the Penguins.

die-hard or diehard
[dahy-hahrd]
noun
a person who vigorously maintains or defends a seemingly hopeless position, outdated attitude, lost cause, or the like.

Chicago has been an elite Cup contender since 2009. By definition, you can't be a diehard fan. Same goes for Pittsburgh and if they're your number 2 team I can only imagine you weren't a fan of theirs before 2009 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad