Pre-Game Talk: Chicago Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
1st plays WC2
2nd plays WC1
2 and 3 in the respective divisions play each other.

By the looks of it, Avs will be 1, Flames likely 2.

Going to be a dog fight for 3/WC in the Central between Minny-Nash-Dallas. STL should be in at 2.

Looking like 2/3/WC in the Pacific will be close as well but I suspect Vegas gets 2 if they get healthy again. Edm-La-Ana in a fight for 3rd/WC
I know this is an aside

But imo if the wildcards are from different divisions, they should stay in their division, regardless of points. Might as well stick with the divisional format

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I know this is an aside

But imo if the wildcards are from different divisions, they should stay in their division, regardless of points. Might as well stick with the divisional format
Yeah, the NHL needs to either have a conference format where you play all the teams in your conference the same amount or stay in the division for the playoffs.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah, the NHL needs to either have a conference format where you play all the teams in your conference the same amount or stay in the division for the playoffs.
Also I dont see the point of divisions out east. It's mostly there for timezones and travel. That's important in the western conference but the east might as well ditch it and just go to a 1-8 playoff, without wildcards of course, and a mostly equal numbers of conference games vs every team out east

Reactions: oilers'72

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

It's pretty damn close now. Western conference teams play 10 of their western counterparts exactly 3 times and they only play the one extra game vs. 5 of the teams in their Division. As such, the difference between a team in the Central vs. the Pacific is only 5 games. Shouldn't be enough to make a huge difference suggesting that one team has a significant advantage schedule wise vs. the other.

Even league wide now, 62 games of the 82 game schedule are exactly the same amongst all teams.

Reactions: oilers'72

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's pretty damn close now. Western conference teams play 10 of their western counterparts exactly 3 times and they only play the one extra game vs. 5 of the teams in their Division. As such, the difference between a team in the Central vs. the Pacific is only 5 games. Shouldn't be enough to make a huge difference suggesting that one team has a significant advantage schedule wise vs. the other.

Even league wide now, 62 games of the 82 game schedule are exactly the same amongst all teams.
That was brought on by the new teams. Add just two teams, and combine that with the rule that every team plays every team at least twice (home and away), and there you go.

Those 4 games for Vegas and Seattle would have been divisional games. Maybe they should lax that rule about having to play every team twice

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
That was brought on by the new teams. Add just two teams, and combine that with the rule that every team plays every team at least twice (home and away), and there you go.

Those 4 games for Vegas and Seattle would have been divisional games. Maybe they should lax that rule about having to play every team twice

Personally I'm a fan of 4 Conference/8 Division system.

Then you 2 games against the 24 non-Conference teams (48). 4 games vs. the 4 teams in the rival division in your conference (16), then 6 games vs. the 3 teams in your Division (18). The math works out perfectly.

Looking at Pacific, you make it the Pacific Conference with a North and South Division. We'd play the California teams and Vegas 4 times each (2 in each building), Vancouver, Seattle and Calgary 6 times each (3 in each building), then a home and away set against all other 24 teams.

All first place teams make playoffs, then the next best 2 teams from each Conference. Teams get re-ranked against the whole league at final four.

If you don't like 4 Conferences, you could still call them Divisions, but use the same logic with Sub-Divisions.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
WC1 likely draws a BOA playoffs which is neat.
Have to make sure we keep pace and then put away LA/ANA down the road in our head to heads.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

3C53B8F1-161A-4F94-A0D1-702E59CE56F4.jpeg

Too bad my Ukraine National Team jersey with the number 22 and f*** PUTIN name bar wont be in by then.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I know this is an aside

Doesn't work if both wild cards are from the same division.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Another egregious mistake by past management. In fact, this one probably ranks up there with the 16/33 for Reinhart and Strome for Spooner.

Imgaine if we had Barzal, Cat and Strome in our top 9 right now, oh my

Reactions: Duke74

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Getting pretty tight with these playoff spots. Pretty crazy that there 6 teams within 2 points of eachother for 5 spots.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Getting pretty tight with these playoff spots. Pretty crazy that there 6 teams within 2 points of eachother for 5 spots.
Yep it is crazy/exciting. When I see posters say these are not must-win games (PHI, CHI, MTL), I’m not sure what constitutes it then. When you are this jammed up in the standings, beating teams lower than, are definitely must-win battles. This game is gonna be tight. I hope Duncan thumps on Captain Manitoba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad