Confirmed with Link: Chicago Blackhawks retire #81 for Marian Hossa

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I guess in the future there will be 3 digit jerseys. Already done in some leagues (I think Germany?).
Or go into the negative ... -9 ... - 21 ... :DD
Seriously though .. at some point they may have to rebrand what retired means or rather redefine it as
Revered numbers vs Retired.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
i didnt see this comin. 7, 50, 10 now all have arguments to get up there. I thought they would cap it at 2,88,19.

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Yeah, 7,10 both played a bit longer for the team and were very important to the 3 cups they should get their numbers retired too.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
The Hawks are going to have way too many retired numbers.

They already have 1, 3, 9, 18, 21, 35 and now 81. With Hossa being retired, how are you not going to retire 4, 7. 10 and 50? 2, 19 and 88 are already locks to have their numbers retired. If you add 24 and 28, it's just too much.

This is why I don't personally like retired numbers. Build these guys statues. Have rings of honour. But leave the numbers available for the next generation. Keep the cycle going. You will get to a point where there are no more numbers left to use.
Even if all the numbers you mentioned get retired, and they won't, that leaves 83 one and two digit numbers for players to pick from. Seems doable.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Even if all the numbers you mentioned get retired, and they won't, that leaves 83 one and two digit numbers for players to pick from. Seems doable.

It's not an issue right now. My point was that it will become an issue in the future, assuming the league is still operating 100 years from now. Do you really want 25-30% of wearable numbers retired? It's just so silly to me. If CHI does retire Hammer, then 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 9 will be retired. That's already 66% of the single digit numbers. Numbers that are generally very popular to wear.

Last edited:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
If they’re creating a position for Hossa, maybe it’s as a replacement for King next year as head coach?

I’ve been on the Coach H bandwagon for years now.

Reactions: Fortyfives

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
No, they don't really. Because none of them will sniff the HHOF.
true but makes no difference to the hawks org what hossa did in ottawa pitt detriot atlanta and international like it does to the HHOF.

sharp had more points for the hawks and seabrook was just a big of factor in the run.

Reactions: TheFridge

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
true but makes no difference to the hawks org what hossa did in ottawa pitt detriot atlanta and international like it does to the HHOF.

sharp had more points for the hawks and seabrook was just a big of factor in the run.
Exactly. Jersey retirements are about contributions to franchise. It's impossible to argue Hossa had a significantly bigger impact on the team compared to Sharp, Crow, Hammer and Seabs. Him going up means they all have to go up. He had clearly the best career. But most of that wasn't in CHI.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
It's not an issue right now. My point was that it will become an issue in the future, assuming the league is still operating 100 years from now. Do you really want 25-30% of wearable numbers retired? It's just so silly to me. If CHI does retire Hammer, then 1, 2, 3, 4, 7 and 9 will be retired. That's already 66% of the single digit numbers. Numbers that are generally very popular to wear.
I doubt the Hawks are considering retiring Hammers number, with Jones already wearing it. Not impossible, but seems unlikely.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
If they’re creating a position for Hossa, maybe it’s as a replacement for King next year as head coach?

I’ve been on the Coach H bandwagon for years now.
The best players don't necessarily make the best coaches. Giving anyone an NHL head coaching job, without him having any credentials whatsoever, is just silliness.

BLKHKhockey

Aug 28, 2009
I would have to assume having Hossa anywhere with the org will be an improvement. This is exciting.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The best players don't necessarily make the best coaches. Giving anyone an NHL head coaching job, without him having any credentials whatsoever, is just silliness.

I’m aware. The difference is that I actually think Hossa has the capacity to be a coach, and Q even previously highlighted him as a player that he thought could become a coach in his own right. I’m not suggesting any great player, I’m specifically saying I think Hoss has the chops for it.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
I’m aware. The difference is that I actually think Hossa has the capacity to be a coach, and Q even previously highlighted him as a player that he thought could become a coach in his own right. I’m not suggesting any great player, I’m specifically saying I think Hoss has the chops for it.
Maybe he does. But it makes no sense to give the reins of an NHL team to anyone who has no coaching experience at all.

Someone with much more qualifications than you thought Wayne Gretzky had the chops for it too. Same with Keith Magnuson. Never seems to turn out well.

Offhand and without delving into it, I can't think of one modern day NHLer who successfully stepped directly into an NHL head coaching role.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Dont discount Seabrook down line

Kevin Lowe is in the HOF, no reason to think Seabrook wont get similar push 20-25 years from now

I realize you are a huge Seabrook fan, but there's zero chance Seabrook gets into the HHOF. Zero. He has no individual hardware whatsoever, and his stats are very average for the era he played in. Winning cups is not enough.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Sharp should definitely have his number retired by the Hawks now.

Huge impact player in the three cup wins scoring more playoff goals than Jonathan Toews (if you don't count the COVID bubble which you shouldn't)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad