Confirmed with Link: Chicago Blackhawks retire #81 for Marian Hossa

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Well deserved. You have a leader like him that wins 3 cups and immediately goes into the hall, jersey retirement seems like a no brainer.

You will likely see 2, 88, and 19 added when they are done. Assuming all 3 get into the hall.

And yet Hawks have said nothing with regard to Wilson

There is no excuse for #24 not to go up at this point especially that weak HOF argument no longer valid

And frankly #28 should be up there as well but sadly it appears Hawks have no intention of doing it

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

There is no excuse for #24 not to go up at this point especially that weak HOF argument no longer valid

And frankly #28 should be up there as well but sadly it appears Hawks have no intention of doing it

There's something strange about the Wilson situation. And, I could agree with Larmer. It's kind of a joke he's not a hall of famer.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

The Hawks are going to have way too many retired numbers.

They already have 1, 3, 9, 18, 21, 35 and now 81. With Hossa being retired, how are you not going to retire 4, 7. 10 and 50? 2, 19 and 88 are already locks to have their numbers retired. If you add 24 and 28, it's just too much.

This is why I don't personally like retired numbers. Build these guys statues. Have rings of honour. But leave the numbers available for the next generation. Keep the cycle going. You will get to a point where there are no more numbers left to use.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL

They already have 1, 3, 9, 18, 21, 35 and now 81. With Hossa being retired, how are you not going to retire 4, 7. 10 and 50? 2, 19 and 88 are already locks to have their numbers retired. If you add 24 and 28, it's just too much.

This is why I don't personally like retired numbers. Build these guys statues. Have rings of honour. But leave the numbers available for the next generation. Keep the cycle going. You will get to a point where there are no more numbers left to use.

I agree. The NHL started getting way too cavalier with jersey retirements. But at this point, it is what it is.

I really do think it's going to stick to just hall of famers going forward. So in that regard, you won't see 7, 10, 50, 4, etc. retired.

Reactions: TheFridge

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There's something strange about the Wilson situation. And, I could agree with Larmer. It's kind of a joke he's not a hall of famer.
Larmer kind of had a short career and he didn't have the points that HOFers did at a time when scoring was at its peak.

ppg back in the 80s and early 90s isn't the same as it is today.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Even if Hawks retire 2, 7, 19, 24, 28, 50 and 88 they would still have plenty of #'s for players too choose from

This Kane/Toews era is best this franchise ever had and if it means a bunch of #'s to rafters then so be it

We may never see Hawks have that level of success again and the guys I am talking about putting it up made signfificant impacts in championships and deserve the recognition

Keith/Seabrook were backbone of team for well over 1,000 games and very few Hawk players have had the impact they did for franchise. #2 and #7 going up to rafter together would be a justifiable and wonderful thing

Reactions: Giovi and Muffinalt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Larmer kind of had a short career and he didn't have the points that HOFers did at a time when scoring was at its peak.

ppg back in the 80s and early 90s isn't the same as it is today.

Sorry but Lanny McDonald and Joe Mullen are in HOF

There is no f***ing excuse for Larmer not to be he was as good if not better then those two

And frankly Kevin Lowe is in HOF.. The HOF standard has been drastically lowered overall after that and that should open door for Seabrook to get consideration down line

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Even if Hawks retire 2, 7, 19, 24, 28, 50 and 88 they would still have plenty of #'s for players too choose from

This Kane/Toews era is best this franchise ever had and if it means a bunch of #'s to rafters then so be it

We may never see Hawks have that level of success again and the guys I am talking about putting it up made signfificant impacts in championships and deserve the recognition

Keith/Seabrook were backbone of team for well over 1,000 games and very few Hawk players have had the impact they did for franchise. #2 and #7 going up to rafter together would be a justifiable and wonderful thing
This is an unpopular opinion but the only way that Seabs should get his number retired is if it's a dual ceremony with Chelios. Chelios is the HOFer that deserves his number retired. Seabs is not a HOFer. I know you hate Chelios because of the Detroit stuff but that is a Dollar Bill/Pully issue and not a Chelios issue.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
Sorry but Lanny McDonald and Joe Mullen are in HOF

There is no f***ing excuse for Larmer not to be he was as good if not better then those two
I'll defer to you on that as Larmer was before my time.

Roenick had a longer career than Larmer, put up 1200 pts and he's not in the HHOF either.

If we're talking about HHOFers that might deserve to have their number retired, why not Ed Belfour?

He played the most games with the Hawks in his career just like Hossa and he won 2 Vezinas here.

Yes, I realize Belfour was a dick/drunk.

If you think that disqualifies him, I get it. I'm actually pretty indifferent about Eddie.

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
So it begins.

If it is only hall of famer that an excuse not to retire 10, 7 or 50....but if we are being honest they deserve it just as much as Hossa

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'll defer to you on that as Larmer was before my time.

Roenick had a longer career than Larmer, put up 1200 pts and he's not in the HHOF either.

If we're talking about HHOFers that might deserve to have their number retired, why not Ed Belfour?

He played the most games with the Hawks in his career just like Hossa and he won 2 Vezinas here.

Yes, I realize Belfour was a dick/drunk.

If you think that disqualifies him, I get it. I'm actually pretty indifferent about Eddie.
Eight edits man?

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
As for Hossa very happy and been waiting for this announcement

#2 , #19 and #88 will eventually join him

#7 and #50 could someday as well
People can argue 50, but 7 definitely belongs in the rafters. He may not be the player 19, 2, 88 are, but he was as instrumental in 3 cups.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Hossa was Rocky Wirtz favorite player during that era. It's no surprise that he wants to honor Hossa in the highest degree. He loves the guy.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria

Hossa deserves it and that's what happens when you win 3 Cups after that long time.
2, 19 & 88 are locks.

Hawks will end up with 10 retired numbers after over 90 years of being in the NHL. All while 4 of them are from one era. Numbers won't be a problem.

Other than that it will most likely be honors.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland

I guess in the future there will be 3 digit jerseys. Already done in some leagues (I think Germany?).

Reactions: LavalPhantom

MileHighHawksFan

When the going gets tough, Hawks fly together!
Jan 16, 2012
Denver, CO
Gotta love hearing they’re carving out a position for him. Hopefully player development, but I’m sure he’ll excel at whatever he ends up doing.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I guess in the future there will be 3 digit jerseys. Already done in some leagues (I think Germany?).
This was a thing in the past about radio stations that worked with the teams. Official number was 7 and on the jersey they had it as 96,7 and stuff like that. Haven't seen this in like 20 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad