Chicago Blackhawks are extremely overrated defensively

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Even before tonight's game where they gave up 51 shots against the Avalanche of all teams, their corsi is a middle of the pack 50.5% 5 on 5. However, in terms of high danger shots, Hawks are not a good team at preventing them. Darling faces the most HDSA/60 5 on 5 behind only Mike Smith.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
Even before tonight's game where they gave up 51 shots against the Avalanche of all teams, their corsi is a middle of the pack 50.5% 5 on 5. However, in terms of high danger shots, Hawks are not a good team at preventing them. Darling faces the most HDSA/60 5 on 5 behind only Mike Smith.

You should be happy then that your favorite team could start the playoffs facing them on the road.

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015

I am not going to comment on the rest of your post, but neither Keith nor Hjalmarsson played against the Avs tonight.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
I don't know about extremely, but they are overrated. Their old guys ain't what they used to be and they lack quality youth back there.

Tifosi

Feb 6, 2006
Would absolutely love to steamroll the Flames in the playoffs :D

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Hawks corsi numbers were crap for the first half of the season when we were working in 6 (ish) rookies and Toews was fighting a back injury (missed 9 games, and was meh for a while).

Advanced stats started to move in a better direction sometime in January.

The game against the Avs was a game where we missed Keith and Hammer, and the team seemed to be more disinterested than they've been in any other game. I feel really good about this team this year (as compared to last year where I thought we only had around a 50% chance of winning any single playoff round).

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hawks corsi numbers were crap for the first half of the season when we were working in 6 (ish) rookies and Toews was fighting a back injury (missed 9 games, and was meh for a while).

Advanced stats started to move in a better direction sometime in January.

The game against the Avs was a game where we missed Keith and Hammer, and the team seemed to be more disinterested than they've been in any other game. I feel really good about this team this year (as compared to last year where I thought we only had around a 50% chance of winning any single playoff round).

Still doesn't explain the amount of high danger shots they gave up.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Today or this season?

This season. Crawford faces like 6.61 HDSA/60 5 on5, which is middle of the pack. Darling however faces only less HDSA/60 5 on 5 than Smith. I get a lot of them are generated due to their own sloppy rebound control as well, but at the same time for a supposedly elite defensive team they could be better at reducing them.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
This season. Crawford faces like 6.61 HDSA/60 5 on5, which is middle of the pack. Darling however faces only less HDSA/60 5 on 5 than Smith. I get a lot of them are generated due to their own sloppy rebound control as well, but at the same time for a supposedly elite defensive team they could be better at reducing them.

So essentially, your argument for the Blackhawks being "extremely overrated" defensively boils down to the amount of high danger shots against per 60 5 on 5 that their backup goaltender faces?

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014

I agree that the Hawks have given up too many quality chances this season. But like I stated earlier, there's been a world of difference between the first and second half of the season.

Goaltending and timely goals are the only reason we won any of our games in the months of October, November, and December. But that hasn't been this team for months.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
And yet they're probably gonna make the wcf. That's how weak the west is. I don't think they're that bad this year though probably 2nd/3rd best team in the west

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Chicago always naps through half their games. It is what it is at this point, obviously they turn it up when they need to. Congrats though, joining the exclusive club of teams the Avs have beaten twice this year.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

Over the last 25 games they're the 7th best Score-Adjusted CF% team, the 4th best Score-Adjusted FF% team.

They're more than fine. They rested their top D against a nothing team with the conferemce sewn up. They gave about as many ****s as one could expect.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
And yet they're probably gonna make the wcf. That's how weak the west is. I don't think they're that bad this year though probably 2nd/3rd best team in the west

They're the best team in the west and possibly the entire league. They lead the league in 20 goal scorers and have the championship pedigree to boot. To say they're they 2nd or 3rd best team in their own conference when they clinched it two weeks ago is comical.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
When the games are decided by Corsi - let me know. Until then, games are decided by goals scored for and against. The Hawks are tied for 9th in GA/G and 3rd for SVPCT. So, they may be overrated, depending who is doing the rating, but they're not bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad