D. Hull Roenick Amonte
Martin

Keith Chelios
Pilote Seabrook
Wilson Hammer
Suter

Hall
Esposito

I agree with this, somewhat. I know the players were ranked 1 - 4 at each position and the OP's lineup was listed based on that - but I like the idea of keeping guys who played together on the same line - Secord-Savard-Larmer was a great line and Sharp-Toews-Hossa has been pretty good too. Hull-Mikita of course and also Roenick-Amonte. Put Kane in the open RW spot with 9-21 and Bentley or D.Hull in the open LW with 27-10.

Hull-Mikita-Kane
Sharp-Toews-Hossa
Secord-Savard-Larmer
Bentley-Roenick-Amonte

The OP hasn't done d-men yet but if Seabrook makes the cut, I would keep Keith-Seabrook together. Likewise with Doug Wilson, if either Gary Suter or Bob Murray make the cut. Chelios and Pilote are no brainers.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
No Secord? Grimson? Not even Probert?

I guess we gotta hope that we don't see the Lady Bing Mikita and we get the tougher than a coffin nail Mikita.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
I agree with this, somewhat. I know the players were ranked 1 - 4 at each position and the OP's lineup was listed based on that - but I like the idea of keeping guys who played together on the same line - Secord-Savard-Larmer was a great line and Sharp-Toews-Hossa has been pretty good too. Hull-Mikita of course and also Roenick-Amonte. Put Kane in the open RW spot with 9-21 and Bentley or D.Hull in the open LW with 27-10.

Hull-Mikita-Kane
Sharp-Toews-Hossa
Secord-Savard-Larmer
Bentley-Roenick-Amonte

The OP hasn't done d-men yet but if Seabrook makes the cut, I would keep Keith-Seabrook together. Likewise with Doug Wilson, if either Gary Suter or Bob Murray make the cut. Chelios and Pilote are no brainers.

Honestly, I'm more interested in putting together intriguing combinations than what's proven as working, since this is just a fantasy idea in my head for a series of posts rather than an actual team that will have to play on the ice. If that was what it was, Keith-Seabrook and Sharp-Toews-Hossa would have absolutely been together.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
No argument from me regarding d-men. The only thing I would do differently would be to keep Keith and Seabrook together (like Wilson and Murray) for the continuity they have with each other after playing together for so many years. Besides, a Pilote-Chelios pairing would be excellent too.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Honestly, I'm more interested in putting together intriguing combinations than what's proven as working, since this is just a fantasy idea in my head for a series of posts rather than an actual team that will have to play on the ice. If that was what it was, Keith-Seabrook and Sharp-Toews-Hossa would have absolutely been together.

Ah - gotcha. I posted my comment on d-men (above) before seeing your response - so please disregard.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
No argument from me regarding d-men. The only thing I would do differently would be to keep Keith and Seabrook together (like Wilson and Murray) for the continuity they have with each other after playing together for so many years. Besides, a Pilote-Chelios pairing would be excellent too.

The Hawks had some great pairings like Pilote/Vasko and White/Stapleton.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
I agree that Stan should be #1. But I don't think point totals are the end all be all so even though Toews will not surpass the offensive stats of Savard or Roenick, his all around game and having captained and been the pivotal player on 3 Cup winners makes him #2 in my opinion.

1. Mikita
2. Toews
3. Savard
4. Roenick

Agree with Savard, and as much as I loved seeing Roenick with his obvious passion for the game and his leave-it-all-on-the-ice playing style, he could arguably be left off the team for Max Bentley.

Mikita wasn't the complete player
that Toews is either.

To my eyes and by all accounts, Mikita was a very good to excellent defensive center, was excellent on faceoffs, and was considerably better than Toews offensively. You are seriously underrating Mikita here, perhaps because you never saw him play. It would take a phenomenal next ten years for Toews to surpass Mikita, scoring better than he currently does (winning an Art Ross), winning multiple Selkes, and likely then only when considering more cup wins with an additional Smythe. It is unlikely that any current NHL center surpasses Mikita historically all time for centers, Crosby included.

Crawford should be ahead of Esposito IMO at this point

Esposito poor performances in playoffs hurt his overall legacy

The only way Crawford would surpass Espo is if he wins a couple of Vezinas and makes it into the HOF.

Had Saad stuck around, I think he makes that team.

Maybe in 5 years. He was a good Hawk, not a great one - and I love Saad.

Not sure he'd knock off Secord or Sharp as the fourth line left winger (pick one there, but not a chance to surpass Doug Bentley), though certainly if there is any position an only above average player can crack the all-time Hawks lineup, it's at left wing. Still, it would have taken a bunch more excellent years on the Hawks.

Last edited:

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
B. Hull - Mikita - Kane
D. Bentley - Toews - Larmer
Sharp - Savard - Hossa
Secord - Roenick - Amonte

Keith - Chelios
Pilote - Seabrook
Wilson - Hjarlmarrson

Hall
Esposito
Belfour

First line I'd take Kane just to see him feed Hull trailing down the slot for one-timer slap shots, though Hull was an exceptionally fast skater too and would be able to keep up on any rush. It's a nightmare offensive line for any team to match up against. And nobody messes with Kane with Hull on the line.

Second line Larmer over Hossa due to longevity with the Hawks. Either would be great, and this line would draw the tougher defensive responsibilities while still be offensively dangerous.

Third line has scorers with Savard, and Hossa for possession play and to cover for Savard defensively.

Fourth line is ridiculously difficult to play against. Admittedly, I don't know enough about Max Bentley to put him in above Roenick, HOF credentials aside. Likewise for Mosienko over Amonte. Grit, determination, speed, and skill.

No surprises on defense or goaltending except perhaps NH over Murray. Hjarlmarrson is a tested playoff warrior. Each pairing is a great combo of puck moving and offense (left side) with rough-and-tough defense (right side). I'd also consider moving Belfour above Esposito for second string goalie.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
A damn shame Max Bentley didn't have the longevity with the Blackhawks. He would definitely be up there.
I thought this deserved a closer look. Why NOT consider Max Bentley as a Black Hawk?! His (statistically) best years were with the Black Hawks- and he's a genuinely great player and mainstream Hall-of-Famer. [As opposed to Roenick who, for all his merits, might never get in...]
Esposito poor performances in playoffs hurt his overall legacy
When considering all-time greats at various positions, it seems that most observers take into account the playoff disappointments of Tony Esposito- and even Glenn Hall-- and (as always) Marcel Dionne (to reference a parallel perspective re: Centers)... but virtually no-one holds Stan Mikita's often pedestrian playoffs against his memory. Now, I won't go as far as to say that Chicago has had better centers than Stan Mikita in their franchise history, but I believe that the gap between Mikita and Toews & M. Bentley is quite a bit smaller than is commonly believed. [And, Hockey Gods willing, Toews is about halfway through the construction of his final résumé.]

Last edited:

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
You are right about Mikita. The Hawks would have certainly won a few more cups in that era if Mikita had matched up better head to head with the likes of Keon, Ullman and Beliveau in the playoffs.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Agree with Savard, and as much as I loved seeing Roenick with his obvious passion for the game and his leave-it-all-on-the-ice playing style, he could arguably be left off the team for Max Bentley.

To my eyes and by all accounts, Mikita was a very good to excellent defensive center, was excellent on faceoffs, and was considerably better than Toews offensively. You are seriously underrating Mikita here, perhaps because you never saw him play. It would take a phenomenal next ten years for Toews to surpass Mikita, scoring better than he currently does (winning an Art Ross), winning multiple Selkes, and likely then only when considering more cup wins with an additional Smythe. It is unlikely that any current NHL center surpasses Mikita historically all time for centers, Crosby included.

I'm 67 years old and I'm guessing that I saw Mikita play a lot more than you did. Personally if I could take only one I'd take Toews over Mikita every day of the week.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

I'm 67 years old and I'm guessing that I saw Mikita play a lot more than you did. Personally if I could take only one I'd take Toews over Mikita every day of the week.

Ok then, mea culpa. I followed Mikita from the mid-late sixties on, really knowing him from about 1967 onward.

Still, Mikita did well in the playoffs, generally scoring a ppg or better in any serious playoff run the Hawks had in the 60's to early 70's during his prime and beyond years. For the most part, the "supporting cast", which Toews has had in abundance, was lacking for Mikita and Hull. The Hawks had little chance of beating those Toronto and Montreal teams with their superior depth (though '71 and '73 could/should have gone to the Hawks). In 1971 at the age of 31 he scored 18 pts in 18 games, and in 73 at 33yo he scored 20 in 15 games.

Playoffs 150 pts in 155 games (59g/91a).

4 Art Ross, 2 Harts, and six first team all stars.

I'd say that he held up his end of the bargain reasonably well.

rick hawk

Apr 9, 2004
Mikita was an all time great Hawk, no doubt. However, he benefitted from basically playing on the second line. Hull was hounded by the other team's best checkers like Bugsy Watson and Claude Provost. I don't think its a coincidence that Mikita's production declined sharply after Hull left. Head to head in the playoffs Mikita was regularly outplayed by the other team's best centers. More than once I remember that being a factor in the post mortem of the Hawks' playoff losses. That's how I remember it, anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad