Chiarelli hired by the Oilers

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Also, has Edmonton yet stated they'll be drafting McDavid?

I know MacTavish and Lowe are too clueless to make it official, and prevent McDavid from having to do these "hypothetical" interviews, but presumably Chiarelli should have said so by now.
Gotta keep your options open. Suppose McDavid gets busted for drug possession, after beating up his girlfriend? Neely was in Erie last week.....scouting whom?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Gotta keep your options open. Suppose McDavid gets busted for drug possession, after beating up his girlfriend? Neely was in Erie last week.....scouting whom?

I get that, but if you say you're drafting him now, and that happens, I don't think anyone will be surprised that your decision changes.

Cue Chiarelli presser:

"We ahhhh. We.... uhhh. We had announced uhhh plans to draft McDavid, but that was before recent events have given us cause to... reconsider."

"So, ahhhhhh. We'll just keep pecking away. We're evaluating. Hockey drafting is hard."

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
why would you ever say who you are going to draft before the draft?

Let everyone wonder what you will do. Even if there is a .00001% chance you wont do what everyone thinks you will do can lead to different offers and such.

Never show your poker hand when you are the first to act. or ever for that matter.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

One anonymous scout regarding the potential drafting of Crosby "I don't care if he's a cannibal, I'll draft a fat kid in the 7th round"

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
why would you ever say who you are going to draft before the draft?

Let everyone wonder what you will do. Even if there is a .00001% chance you wont do what everyone thinks you will do can lead to different offers and such.

Never show your poker hand when you are the first to act. or ever for that matter.

That makes sense, except when its Connor McDavid, the next potential Crosby/Great One, and your #1 priority is to build the best possible relationship with him.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
That makes sense, except when its Connor McDavid, the next potential Crosby/Great One, and your #1 priority is to build the best possible relationship with him.
You don't think it would be less than best relationship if the wall of secrecy is maintained? Would Connor be offended?

McDavid, his family, and the Oiler staff with its esteemed GM, will all be so happy when he decends from the stands at Sunrise to don a blue and orange sweater. Lots of time then to cement their relationship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad