Confirmed Trade: [CHI/PIT] Joseph Cramarossa for Graham Knott

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I just KNEW some teams would make a tiny little trade while the Canadian media continues their all-out Babcock assault.

The only really notable thing about this trade is not just why Pittsburgh ever signed Cramarossa to an NHL deal in the first place (signed him near the deadline in the midst of a 16 point season) but what he did over that remaining month and a half to get re-signed to another NHL deal then decide the next year in just over a month and a half that he wasn't really in their plans after all. Strange.

Reactions: Giskard and Booba

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
BTW, if anyone is interested, the reasoning behind this deal is

Chicago: Kris Versteeg, who was playing on an AHL deal this year, decided to leave which opened up a veteran spot on the Hawks minor team, so Cramarossa was brought in to replace that veteran presence for an extremely young AHL team.

Pittsburgh: With the acquisition of Andreas Martinsen in the Erik Gudbranson deal, it left the baby Pens with too many veterans and the opportunity to move Cramarossa opens up a veteran spot while also bringing in a younger player with a high draft pedigree (Knott's a 2nd rounder) who has been good at the ECHL level this year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Like always this is just a prelude to a blockbuster trade.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
2nd round pick and hes in the ECHL? Ouch. Look forward to seeing his progress

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
2nd round pick and hes in the ECHL? Ouch. Look forward to seeing his progress

I think the Hawks have serious problems with their player development system. They have had an inordinate amount of high picks bust or fail to live up to expectations.

They trusted Ted Dent to run their AHL team for years and he isn’t even in hockey anymore. He’s young too, so he must be especially bad. Since him, they’ve continued to shuffle through inexperienced coaches.

Doesn’t mean Knott will turn into a useful player, but rolling the dice on underachieving Hawks prospects is a good move IMO.

Reactions: caley

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
No, not Knott, he has talent, sad to see him go.

That's the curse of having such an excellent pipeline of prospects as the Hawks have I suppose. Since we are very much in a "win now mode", we'll take the older NHLer for the prospect this time.

Knott was about our 25-35 best prospect, I'm sure he'll be a top 5-10 in PIT who should fit in nicely with their rebuild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad