Trade: [CHI/PIT] Chase Claypool for 2023 2nd round pick

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
I don't know what happened with Claypool. Great rookie season and a solid follow-up the next year. He looked like he would at least be a decent number #2 receiver. Now? Will he be a fourth or fifth option, bounce around the league for a bit and be done by his late 20s?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't know what happened with Claypool. Great rookie season and a solid follow-up the next year. He looked like he would at least be a decent number #2 receiver. Now? Will he be a fourth or fifth option, bounce around the league for a bit and be done by his late 20s?
He was not the same since that Minny incident with the celebration instead of trying to get the ball spiked. Or at least not viewed the same anymore.

Now DHop is up to get dealt. He’d cost more cap room but shouldn’t come at that high a price as he’s got 2 years left on his deal but they are not guaranteed which I assume is part of the reason AZ is looking to move on. But DHop has a ntc so would he have ok’d a deal to Chicago and fields? Sounds like he’s looking to get some more guaranteed money at his age. Turns 31 in June.

From a bears pov it would have been better to land DHop than Claypool. Return not as high but offset with a much higher cap hit. But better player and leader.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire

The guy has a ton of talent and ability. He got/gets into trouble when he runs lazy routes, won’t go into tough areas to go get balls and he shows he has little interest in competing for 50/50 balls. He drove Steeler fans crazy when he would get out worked by defenders 5-6 inches shorter then him. He has all that natural ability but just has no drive. I question if the guy really wants to play pro football.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
The guy has a ton of talent and ability. He got/gets into trouble when he runs lazy routes, won’t go into tough areas to go get balls and he shows he has little interest in competing for 50/50 balls. He drove Steeler fans crazy when he would get out worked by defenders 5-6 inches shorter then him. He has all that natural ability but just has no drive. I question if the guy really wants to play pro football.

He seemed to often jump to try to catch many passes when it wasn't needed for some reason too

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Home run trade for the Steelers to get what should be a mid-2nd for Claypool.

He's effective on comebacks/fades but has a very limited skillset as a WR. Below averages at his routes and just a poor IQ football player, Not someone you can use on things like option routes as he will likely make the wrong decisions. Does well against man coverage where he can use his size/speed but is absolutely awful vs zones as he has no idea how to sit in zones and find soft spots.

The most frustrating part out of everything - truly an awful run blocker. Just can't or won't do it, which is puzzling for a guy that size. Maybe not a big deal but a frustration if you are truly to use him in the slot.

I know the Claypool stuff is bubbling up now with the clips going viral, but the lack of effort on blocking is something that you could see watching Steelers games which is why I mentioned it at the time as being the worst part of his game. Any team that did an ounce of scouting should have been able to see this on film. Awful trade for a guy who is probably trending out of the league sooner than later.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know the Claypool stuff is bubbling up now with the clips going viral, but the lack of effort on blocking is something that you could see watching Steelers games which is why I mentioned it at the time as being the worst part of his game. Any team that did an ounce of scouting should have been able to see this on film. Awful trade for a guy who is probably trending out of the league sooner than later.
He's been on the downturn since that Minnesota game where he celebrated the first down instead of running the 2 minute drill.

Very disappointing in his trajectory.

Reactions: TNT87

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad