Trade: [CHI/PIT] Chase Claypool for 2023 2nd round pick

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
The Bears need to add weapons desperately. But Claypool is still living off his inflated manufactured TDs as a rookie and a 2 is a lot.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Bears need to add weapons desperately. But Claypool is still living off his inflated manufactured TDs as a rookie and a 2 is a lot.
Would expect it to be Baltimore’s pick. That is going to be like 15-18 slots in the draft va their own pick.

Clay pool calling himself a top 3 WR doesn’t return a first rounder like Brown, Adams, Hill just did.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Steelers giving up on a young WR is rare and raises red flags especially when they need to build around own young QB

As of now I am not thrilled with this, and Bears could have drafted a WR with that 2nd in this year's draft

But now this

Absolutely f***ing awful

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I was wondering why the Steelers were in a rush to trade him, I guess there it is.

I don’t mind this for the Bears. Fields needs people to throw to, and you get an established receiver he can work with in the off-season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I was wondering why the Steelers were in a rush to trade him, I guess there it is.

I don’t mind this for the Bears. Fields needs people to throw to, and you get an established receiver he can work with in the off-season.
Steelers have Johnson and Pickens. Claypool has a me me feel. That showboating for a first down vs Minny last season told a lot about his heart and his football IQ.

Just never know with WR. Some play great others not so great right off the hop. Smaller school kids seem to struggle like Watson.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Weapon for Fields. Hope to see him take a step forward with him.
Not quite the guy I thought they would target. Not sure he’s the type that will help fields like a guy like Diggs, Brown, Hill have helped Allen, Hurts and Tua. Claypool has talent but screams diva.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Home run trade for the Steelers to get what should be a mid-2nd for Claypool.

He's effective on comebacks/fades but has a very limited skillset as a WR. Below averages at his routes and just a poor IQ football player, Not someone you can use on things like option routes as he will likely make the wrong decisions. Does well against man coverage where he can use his size/speed but is absolutely awful vs zones as he has no idea how to sit in zones and find soft spots.

The most frustrating part out of everything - truly an awful run blocker. Just can't or won't do it, which is puzzling for a guy that size. Maybe not a big deal but a frustration if you are truly to use him in the slot.

Reactions: BSHH

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Trade makes sense for one reason; the 2022 class for WR free agents is horrendous. Chicago has all the money coming off the books but nothing to spend on there.

Fields looks to have turned a corner now and they need to get the guy something resembling WR help. I like the move especially knowing the above and the fact Chicago likely isn't truly bad enough to tank for a CJ Stoud or Bryce Young type QB prospect. So you may as well see if Fields can keep progressing

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
i get why the bears would do this, but seems like an overpayment
You never know with WR. And fields needs someone who can actually play. So no guarantees you draft a Brown or Metcalf or Kupp (3rd round) in round 2. Could end up with an Isabella, Watson (talented but raw), etc. Bears wanted more of a sure thing and got it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Hilariously bad trade for the Bears. Major red flag if your pro scouts have watched Claypool the last two years and were willing to pay a 2nd.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Steelers took off right after they traded him too, while the Bears never won a game with him lol

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
33rd overall pick, so it's like a late 1st. The Steelers will be in a good spot to do things the Bears really needed to be able to do, which is maximize the value whether it be taking someone you may have in your top 20, or get someone to overpay assets for it. Maybe guys fall because teams jump ahead to draft a QB late in round 1 and push other guys down.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
33rd overall pick, so it's like a late 1st. The Steelers will be in a good spot to do things the Bears really needed to be able to do, which is maximize the value whether it be taking someone you may have in your top 20, or get someone to overpay assets for it. Maybe guys fall because teams jump ahead to draft a QB late in round 1 and push other guys down.
As much as I hate bashing a good Canadian lad...what an awful trade for Chicago it looks like. 32nd overall (MIA pick is forfeited) for Claypool. Ouf.
It's the Ravens 2nd round pick not their own. Still an awful trade for Chicago though.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Steelers took off right after they traded him too, while the Bears never won a game with him lol
Pitt knows how to draft and develop WR. Bears not so much. Like Baltimore they struggle in that area and the very good WR tend to avoid them in free agency.

I could get them dealing the Ravens second round pick that they got but not their own first because at the time they were around rhe 7-9th worst team in the nfl.

After that Minny game with his celebration of a first down vs trying to get the ball spiked, that was rhe end of him in Pitt. Not winning with guys who think like that and are not aware of the game situation.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

32nd pick, actually. Miami forfeits.

Top pick of Day 2 is great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad