Confirmed Trade: [CHI/MTL] Andrew Shaw and 2021 7th for 2020 2nd, 2021 3rd, 2020 7th

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
i really enjoyed shaw in montreal, but chicago gave up a lot to get him back. he's injury prone and concussion sensitive now. like very much so

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
We gave up a 2nd for a guy who’s pretty good and 3.9 isn’t a whole lot, but I don’t understand bringing back old players and it’s kinda getting old.

Since when is a 2nd a lot for a guy who scored 50 points and makes 3.9, can play all three positions and plays hard nosed hockey?

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
Good trade for the Habs. I think Shaw's value will never be as high as it is now, good time to sell. With so many young skill players pushing, it makes sense to free up some space OR sign an interesting UFA.

I don't think Shaw will be able to replicate what he did last year. Also, he's injured a lost, he's beat up.

But I'll give him that, I never liked him, but he did impress me last year and Domi loved him.

Reactions: Smokin Budaj

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Shaw was wildly inconsistent with the Canadiens, and can't seem to stay healthy. Still, he's cheap and can be really productive. But I like this for Montreal. That's got to mean they're getting the feedback from players they'll be serious players.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Wow I didn't realize he still had 3 more years at almost 4 mill per... makes it even WAY better for Habs

Crazy they got that return and not retain anything or bring back a contract

Reactions: HABSFTW

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I think that's really strong return for freeing up $3.9 million in cap space. Shaw is a useful player. Health will always be the concern.

Reactions: Pi

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
He had a career year that he is never going to live up to.. and he's got 3 seasons left. Habs are making a bigger move likely getting Duchene or maybe Lee (which would be bad because he's basically Pacioretty).
even if Shaw doesn't score at a 61 point pace again (only 6 of his points were on the powerplay), he should still be an effective player. I think he's worth at least a 2nd, probably more

Reactions: TopCheese

Not The One

Feb 28, 2002
Montréal, Qc.
As a Habs fan I'm not really happy with this move in isolation. It's good if we manage to use that cap space to lure a good FA tomorrow, but Shaw was great last year and was definitely worth his salary.

Assuming we don't sign any of the tier 1 FAs, how is Anders Lee compared to Shaw?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Would have been happy with this a year ago but Shaw was actually one of the most efficient per minute even strength scorers in the league this year alongside Domi. I thought he fit really well on that line and was easily worth his contract. Not a bad deal to get a 2nd and a 3rd for him I guess.
He was excellent this year. I think the Habs brass thinks Lee will be an improvement.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Hawks fan in 2016- Ha ha Habs gave up 2 2nds for Andrew Shaw!!!!!!!

Hawks fan in 2019- a 2nd and 3rd for a 3 year older Shaw is a good deal!
The guy is still good. Injuries are the main concern, but he's cerainly worth 2nd + 3rd or 2 x 2nds.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
even if Shaw doesn't score at a 61 point pace again (only 6 of his points were on the powerplay), he should still be an effective player. I think he's worth at least a 2nd, probably more

Every time Chicago trades for a player they had before, it ends up horribly.

Shaw was in the perfect situation. On a decent team on the first line with another guy who had career highs. He's just not going to get that ice time with the Hawks even if they will suck as a team.

Reactions: HOPE

Dale Best Goalie

In Prust We Trust
Sep 12, 2017
Pittsburgh
He had a career year that he is never going to live up to.. and he's got 3 seasons left. Habs are making a bigger move likely getting Duchene or maybe Lee (which would be bad because he's basically Pacioretty).
Lee is so different from Pacioretty they're like complete opposites.

Lee is a hard-nosed, garbage goal, at the net scorer. Pacioretty is a perimeter sniper. I see what you mean in terms of contract value and production, though.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We gave up a 2nd for a guy who’s pretty good and 3.9 isn’t a whole lot, but I don’t understand bringing back old players and it’s kinda getting old.

Since when is a 2nd a lot for a guy who scored 50 points and makes 3.9, can play all three positions and plays hard nosed hockey?

You gave up a 3rd too

Thierry

May 30, 2006
Montreal
For everyone saying Shaw was traded at his highest value, can we keep in mind the Habs paid more for him three years ago?
Sure, but the situation is different, his contract is heavier, therefore, might cost less.

Also, two 2nd for Shaw at that time was dumb anyway.

As a player, what he can do on the ice, it's still his highest value, IMHO.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Every time Chicago trades for a player they had before, it ends up horribly.

Shaw was in the perfect situation. On a decent team on the first line with another guy who had career highs. He's just not going to get that ice time with the Hawks even if they will suck as a team.
true. i'm unhappy to lose him, but habs needed to move some forwards for a UFA or the glut of young guys coming in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad