Trade: [CHI/LAC] Keenan Allen for 4th round pick

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
what a steal for the bears. already the best WR they've ever had?

who is herbert going to throw to now?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
what a steal for the bears. already the best WR they've ever had?

who is herbert going to throw to now?
Kind of figured that when they drafted Johnston, that his body type was similar to Williams and Allen that he’d be tabbed as their replacement vs being a compliment WR.

Allen was due $23.1 mill. Think he carried a dead cap of $24 mill to LAC. Signed his big contract in 2020. Took cap hits of $10.3, $15.7, $19.2, $12.8 the past 4 seasons. Think he was due to be a $30 mill plus cap charge unless they pushed some of the $23 mill he was due into the future.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Allen turns 32 in April. Right now it’s a 1 year deal that is $23.1 mill which is rather do that pay Ridley. Plus need that vet for either a rookie QB or Fields.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Bears definitely are in position to take a run at the playoffs no matter who the QB is.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Herbert looking for his weapons on the field next season:

1710509870942.gif

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I know he's old and has a decent sized contract but this still seems like a steal.

They didn't even need to do this after the Williams release and Bosa/Mack restructures.

Seem like a guarantee they take Odunze/Nabers now. Especially with Johnston showing nothing last year.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Is the goal to draft Harrison or what?
Don't think he makes it past Arizona but they'll surely draft new guys. They have horrible cap issues and a reset of the WR core is not a bad thing, these guy were always hurt anyways.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I know he's old and has a decent sized contract but this still seems like a steal.

They didn't even need to do this after the Williams release and Bosa/Mack restructures.

Seem like a guarantee they take Odunze/Nabers now. Especially with Johnston showing nothing last year.
Harbaugh is their HC. He’s more likely to build a great OL than add top weapons. Great OL harder to get after round 1. They’d be the team to trade with if a club needed to jump the giants to draft a QB.

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Harbaugh is their HC. He’s more likely to build a great OL than add top weapons. Great OL harder to get after round 1. They’d be the team to trade with if a club needed to jump the giants to draft a QB.
Don't know about that, they just might stick there and draft Joe Alt.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Don't know about that, they just might stick there and draft Joe Alt.
I think Alt should be their target at 5, unless they would prefer dropping back and value one of the other OT and other assets to replenish their WR room. Minny just moved up from round 2 at 42 to add pick 23. 11, 23 in this draft plus anything else they would need may convince LAC to drop down to 11. Know the Jets at 10 will take an OT. Giants have used a lot of draft capital on their OL and isn't great still. Not sure if they would take one. TEN, could go OT or WR for Levis. ATL has a good OL and OT so I think they help their D. Chicago, probably would like a WR since Allen is in the final year of his contract and turns 32 in April. Have Jones and Wright at OT. Could also consider an Edge.

So, I think they would feel comfortable with likely their 3rd option at OT at 11, but have to be prepared for it to possibly be the #4 guy. If that's the case, maybe they opt for a weapon, like Bowers as I think the WR go off the board first, and they can then double back at OT at 23 or go CB at 23.

They are moving off high priced vets, so maybe they want to add a touch more quantity at this point.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Don't think he makes it past Arizona but they'll surely draft new guys. They have horrible cap issues and a reset of the WR core is not a bad thing, these guy were always hurt anyways.

Yeah Arizona is the threat for Harrison and most likely outcome
But Herbert- Harrison but be fun as hell to watch

& true these moves are being made for cap reasons, they aren’t ready to contend next year so why not clean up the mess now.
Which was very surprising when I listened to Speak and they didn’t speak one word about cap being the reason for these moves and were completely ”shocked” of what are they doing. Shows you the level of sports media

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah Arizona is the threat for Harrison and most likely outcome
But Herbert- Harrison but be fun as hell to watch

& true these moves are being made for cap reasons, they aren’t ready to contend next year so why not clean up the mess now.
Which was very surprising when I listened to Speak and they didn’t speak one word about cap being the reason for these moves and were completely ”shocked” of what are they doing. Shows you the level of sports media
none of the sports media cares about cap considerations. Or what the trade comp is to move up to get a QB. Forget that Lance cost 2 extra 1sts and a 3rd. Darnold cost 3 extra 2nds, the price for Young being Moore, extra 1st and 2 2nds.
RG3 is telling LV to go get Daniels. Sure, hey RG3, what was it like being the QB that was traded up for and the talent surrounding you when they made that move? Only to later see Rd 4 QB take your job and go onto to make $400 milll n the NFL.

2 ways of thinking when you have a rookie contract QB. Add extra pieces to the talent you have, which they did gettting Mack, signing JC Jackson and extending their own guys. But, the LAC didn't do anything.
Or you do what Hou is doing and loading up with contracts that will expire by the time your QB comes off the rookie deal, so that you are not cutting guys when he's set to make his big money and do not require a reset year or two. Keep a clean cap for when your QB makes his money.

As a Raiders fan, it worries me how Tom Tedesco structured Wilkins contract at $11.4, $35, $32 mill against the cap over the next 3 years. Not a fan of that huge $23 mill jump in cap charges from 24 to 25 year. Pretty much guarantees a restructure and pushing cap against 26/27/28 years.

There are still people who think cap charges equal money. Like there are those who think Allen was going to make $34 mill in 2024. No. $23 mill is salary/roster bonus which is the real money, while the other $11 mill in cap charges are from his $13.5 mill prorated signing bonus and prior years contract restructure which converted base salary into a bonus to lower cap charges in prior years but push cap charges into future years. Allen is showing as a $11.6 mill dead cap to Chargers in 2024.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad