Proposal: CHI-EDM

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
How about Koskinen and Lucic for Saad and Ward?
Still no. Saad is in what should be his prime and he was near the top on several advanced stats last year. He's had a bad start to the season, could be injuries, could be he doesn't give a shit anymore. But giving him up for a Lucic who's several years older, plays a game that wears the body more, had roughly the same amount of points last year, is signed for the same dollars, and has two more years on his contract is a huge no from me.

Swapping out Ward (who sucks) for a 30yo goalie that hasn't ever played an NHL game before doesn't move the needle much.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Still no. Saad is in what should be his prime and he was near the top on several advanced stats last year. He's had a bad start to the season, could be injuries, could be he doesn't give a **** anymore. But giving him up for a Lucic who's several years older, plays a game that wears the body more, had roughly the same amount of points last year, is signed for the same dollars, and has two more years on his contract is a huge no from me.

Swapping out Ward (who sucks) for a 30yo goalie that hasn't ever played an NHL game before doesn't move the needle much.
:laugh: fair enough, I was only mildly serious, though there's no way any Hawks can be happy with this nightmare in goal.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I'd do Saad for Lucic only because Lucic has too much term.

If their contracts were equal length no thanks. Saad is complete garbage now.
Man did the Blackhawks ever get bent over on that trade.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Uh.......
Sekera is going to be back and it's crazy to think he'll return to form to where he was 2 seasons ago.
2 off-seasons ago he had a major injury and he had an even more serious one in the last off-season.

I'm not convinced that he got time to get back to where he was before the 1st injury before he sustained the 2nd injury and now he's going to have to fight hard through physical therapy again just to get into game shape and it's going to take even longer for him to get back to his 100% self. Certainly not happening this season and I seriously have my doubts about next season.

He's on the wrong side of 30 to expect him to completely return to form and if he can't do that his contract is going to be seen as dead weight. No team is going to be interested in him until he proves he's his old self. The only way we get rid of him is if we take a nasty contract or bribe another team to take him on.

Lucic + Sekera = 11.5M in cap space. Maybe Lucic turns things around this year. That sounds great, but if he doesn't I'd certainly do Lucic + Sekera + Russell (15.5M in cap space) + 1st overall for a 3rd rounder. Take Russell out and I'd go for a 2nd rounder.
That's with absolutely no salary retention, of course.
And I'm by no means cool with our current GM making this trade. I'd see it as a justified opening move out of our new GM to clean the garbage contracts that previous managers signed that helped cap-strap the team.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Sekera is going to be back and it's crazy to think he'll return to form to where he was 2 seasons ago.
2 off-seasons ago he had a major injury and he had an even more serious one in the last off-season.

I'm not convinced that he got time to get back to where he was before the 1st injury before he sustained the 2nd injury and now he's going to have to fight hard through physical therapy again just to get into game shape and it's going to take even longer for him to get back to his 100% self. Certainly not happening this season and I seriously have my doubts about next season.

He's on the wrong side of 30 to expect him to completely return to form and if he can't do that his contract is going to be seen as dead weight. No team is going to be interested in him until he proves he's his old self. The only way we get rid of him is if we take a nasty contract or bribe another team to take him on.

Lucic + Sekera = 11.5M in cap space. Maybe Lucic turns things around this year. That sounds great, but if he doesn't I'd certainly do Lucic + Sekera + Russell (15.5M in cap space) + 1st overall for a 3rd rounder. Take Russell out and I'd go for a 2nd rounder.
And I'm by no means cool with our current GM making this trade. I'd see it as a justified opening move out of our new GM to clean the garbage contracts that previous managers signed that helped cap-strap the team.
I don't care. No one with a brain trades Hughes just to get rid of the Lucic & Sekera contracts.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Lucic + unprotected 1st for Saad maybe..even then im not sure the hawks do it...Lucic is very,very bad and has a lot of term

Reactions: djeck42

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I don't care. No one with a brain trades Hughes just to get rid of the Lucic & Sekera contracts.

Well I be without a brain, then.
Unless we're going to trade Drai for 2 wingers and move Hopkins I don't see how we make the cap space to skate a half decent blueline unless we make a dumb trade like what I just proposed.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

It's almost impossible to get rid of dead cap space and term like the Oilers have with Lucic/Sekera. This is the worst asset in the NHL, older players/term/injury history. Bailing another team out of their mistakes is so expensive it hardly ever happens. Oilers will ride this out, no other choice.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Lucic + unprotected 1st for Saad maybe..even then im not sure the hawks do it...Lucic is very,very bad and has a lot of term

No one with half a brain does this. You'll never get an unprotected 1st for Saad.

Lucic has been much better in the early going this season. Goal and an assist so far. He had a very, very bad season last year. Prior to that he was a lock for 50 points a season. Still, his contract and the question marks around whether he can bounce back make acquiring him a dicey proposition. I don't blame anyone for seeing him as a cap dump.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Lucic has much more value to the Oilers than he would in a trade.

Cygnusx1018

Jul 17, 2017
Still no. Saad is in what should be his prime and he was near the top on several advanced stats last year. He's had a bad start to the season, could be injuries, could be he doesn't give a **** anymore. But giving him up for a Lucic who's several years older, plays a game that wears the body more, had roughly the same amount of points last year, is signed for the same dollars, and has two more years on his contract is a huge no from me.

Koskinen played a few games for the Isles back in 2011

OilerSuperstar17

Oct 5, 2012
Saad has as much value as Lucic right now. It's a 5 year age difference, but that doesn't really matter. Y'all who think otherwise should not be here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad