Edm:

Brent Seabrook

Payroll Effect:

Chi saves ~6.7m
Cbj takes on ~4m
Edm takes on ~2.5m

Hjamahamahamasson

Jun 4, 2015
Then take away the Edm 3rd to Cls. As a hawks fan I'd hate to lose those two players but we are up against the cap and if we could get a top line D-man and future top 6 PWF in return at such a low cap hit (5.1m for the two) + get back in the first round of the draft, I'd be happy.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Columbus downgrades on D and W and takes on 4M.

Hawks trade Seabrook which is unnecessary.

Edmonton gets the deal of the century.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Would rather see them just trade Sharp for a 1st+ or really good prospect/younger player+, and keep Seabrook. Then trade Bickell + Versteeg instead of Seabrook.

Trading Seabrook would be dumb IMO, unless the offer is too good to turn down, and with a really promising, younger top 4 dman coming back. This is not one of those offers.

Hjamahamahamasson

Jun 4, 2015
Would rather see them just trade Sharp for a 1st+ or really good prospect/younger player+, and keep Seabrook. Then trade Bickell + Versteeg instead of Seabrook.

Trading Seabrook would be dumb IMO, unless the offer is too good to turn down, and with a really promising, younger top 4 dman coming back. This is not one of those offers.

I agree your scenario is probably the most likely one. I was just offering a way of immediately freeing up cap space so other needs could be met through trade and free agency more easily. I was actually suggesting trading Bickell and Steeger in addition to this trade so there would be a possibility of resigning Vermette. The downside to only making Bickell, Steeg, and Sharp available to trade is that with the roster vacancy/budget projection ratio as it is now heading into the offseason, Stan will have minimal leverage in those trade talks. In other words, if those are the only three players you are shopping, it's get them out or get penalized later, and you know every GM in the league is aware of this fact.

Having said that, you are probably right that Stan will have a very narrow range of return packages he would even consider trading Seabrook for. However, he has to find replacements for 2 veteran centerman, 2 veteran wingers, and a steady number 4 D Man. I can't pretend to have a better grasp on the Hawks short-and-long term needs as Stan Bowman, but a player like Jenner who can play both of the above forward positions, and quite well at age 21, is an example of the type of return I feel has good overall value to the hawks (future top 6 PWFs and LWs are not very prevalent in the Hawks system--one reason why Saad is untouchable and will be signed no matter the price).

Johnson, while a down grade from Seabs in most areas of his game (or at least the ones that matter to Coach Q), he is just as physical, he scored 40 points last season, and he can man the point on the powerplay (a role that will need attention after losing Sharp and Richards). If Q could get him to play his highly structured system effectively (remember, he did so with Brian Campbell), Then I believe Johnson's 4.3m hit would be more than fair.

As for the 16th pick, this year's talent doesn't end at McDavid/Eichel so if Edm is willing to part with it for their hometown guy, then I think Stan and his homegrowin' mentality might consider opening up his options.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
As a hawks fan, this is a horrible, horrible deal for the Blue Jackets.

Jenner is underrated in this proposal.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So we give up a fantastic up-and-coming power forward and one of our best defensemen on a blueline that needs assistance, and in return we get an aging winger that would be nice to have but we don't need, a defensive disaster, and a third 3rd round pick?

Can't say "no" fast enough.

Dallas Eakins*

I'd guess that this will be good with Columbus fans, mixed reaction from Hawks fans, and that most Oilers fans will say it's too much.

Edmonton fans should take that & run Blue Jacket fans should be mildly outraged.

BrianE

Dec 29, 2014
WI

Get rid of Bickell & Versteeg first then go from there....agree that Sharp has not had a good season and PO not what we expected from him.

But good lord get rid of our bagholders then reevaluate.

Would'nt want to get rid of Sharp & Seabs just yet unless it's a super deal....they are a part of "the core" you know.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Get rid of Bickell & Versteeg first then go from there....agree that Sharp has not had a good season and PO not what we expected from him.

But good lord get rid of our bagholders then reevaluate.

Would'nt want to get rid of Sharp & Seabs just yet unless it's a super deal....they are a part of "the core" you know.

I don't want Sharp traded, but the Hawks will very likely need to trade someone from the core. Losing Sharp would hurt a lot less than Seabrook, Saad, etc. Plus he'd get a nice return. That's just how it is with the salary cap.

The chronological order of Sharp, Bickell, and Versteeg trades wasn't really the point of that post.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad