Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] D Alex Vlasic signs extension with the Blackhawks (6 years, $4.6M AAV)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
His offense should increase proportionately to the Hawks actually having legitimate NHL forwards.

He has great vision and a great stretch pass, and also knows when to rush/join the rush. His skating is fantastic for a big body. He's also pretty damn good at getting his shot through for the forwards to tip and/or bang in rebounds. Once those, and his stretch passes and such start getting buried by legitimate top 6 forwards, his points will go up. I figure he'll be good for 35-40 points most years, with some higher years mixed in. Just my opinion.

I mean that would be impressive given how much he didn't score in college. Could see 30 points purely just because he's going to eat a ton of minutes.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Great contract. I think this is a steal. Even if he regressed from last year he’s a top 4 stay at home D man who is mobile. If he continues this level of play or improves this is one of the best contracts in the league. Having him locked up through his 20s at a very affordable price allows the Hawks a lot of flexibility.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
What odds on him putting up more offense? He's never been much of a scorer.

Definitely never going to be the selling point of his game. But I think he can be a 30-35 point guy in his prime.

Even if that never happens the contract is still great value.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
20k posts and still take like this about defensive defenseman, eh?
He could be the best player in the NHL this season (he wasn't) and I still absolutely hate these premature contracts. It's one season, minimal risk that Vlasic explodes into a 80 point d-man next season. There's nothing wrong with a bridge deal every once in a while.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He could be the best player in the NHL this season (he wasn't) and I still absolutely hate these premature contracts. It's one season, minimal risk that Vlasic explodes into a 80 point d-man next season. There's nothing wrong with a bridge deal every once in a while.
He actually was one of the best defensive D in the NHL(top 5) based upon analytics, as well as the eye test.

And what? This basically is a bridge deal. It buys up two years of UFA, and isn't max term, and it's at a fantastic value for both sides, and has the potential to be an absolute steal of a contract in just a year or two's time. What do you think the best defensive dmen in the NHL SHOULD be paid?

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Very nice. I was expecting the same term in the low 5's

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Literally have never heard of this player but that’s on me. Blackhawk fans seem to be thrilled so he must have shown something to get that deal. Time will tell but maybe a steal like Slavin and Pesce were for the Hurricanes back in the day

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Literally have never heard of this player but that’s on me. Blackhawk fans seem to be thrilled so he must have shown something to get that deal. Time will tell but maybe a steal like Slavin and Pesce were for the Hurricanes back in the day
Understandable if you've never heard of him. 2nd rounder in 2019 who looked at most like a future bottom pairing guy up until this season when he realized he could use his long reach (he's 6ft6) and solid skating to constantly poke the Puck off sticks and kill plays before they ever develop.

He played so well this year that some models have him as a top 5 shutdown defender; including an article by The Athletic that had him at 2nd best league-wide.

So just a really under the radar guy right now.

Ledge And Dairy

19 NHL points. Insane deal, I don’t care if he turns into Bobby Orr next year.
He was one of the best defensive dmen in the league as a rookie, the only way Chicago lost this deal is not getting the 7th and 8th year
1000003617.png

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Understandable if you've never heard of him. 2nd rounder in 2019 who looked at most like a future bottom pairing guy up until this season when he realized he could use his long reach (he's 6ft6) and solid skating to constantly poke the Puck off sticks and kill plays before they ever develop.

He played so well this year that some models have him as a top 5 shutdown defender; including an article by The Athletic that had him at 2nd best league-wide.

So just a really under the radar guy right now.
Damn… kind of sounds exactly like Slavin but bigger… by a lot 😂

How’s his speed/agility/skating overall?

Ledge And Dairy

To be fair the disparity highlights that Chicago were icing four non-NHL dmen whenever Jones and Vlasic weren't on the ice. It's unlikely guys like Zaitsev, Tinordi, Murphy, or Megna are in the league when their contracts are up. Korchinski obviously wasn't ready defensively. Not that Vlasic isn't a solid dman, just comparisons to team mates are not great when half the team are AHLers.

Obviously shutdown D never really get paid too, and Vlasic's own cousin Marc-Edouard is a good example of why. This is a pretty fair value contract for the player Vlasic was this year, assuming no regression in the future as Chicago gets better top pairing options. There's no reason for Chicago to not take gambles like these with 77 million in cap space in the summer of 27.
Zaitsev will probably go back to Russia this summer. Tinordi will probably get another deal but will likely be waiver fodder. Murphy will definitely have another NHL contract. Megan will get another cheap deal, I would not be surprised if he ends up on Pittsburgh to pair up with Karlsson again

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
That is the contract Marc-Édouard Vlasic signed when he was about the same age, maybe just not that funny reference anyhow.
Oh yikes, and I think he was on a similar contract to this leading up to that too lol. Maybe Chicago will have better luck and walk away

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Disagree, this is exactly what teams like Chicago with tons of cap space and no realistic ambition to compete for a while should do. Even if it's an overpay for the next year or two it could very well be a steal when they are turning a corner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad