Confirmed Buy-Out [CHI] Blackhawks buyout Brett Connolly and Henrik Borgstrom

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I for one am looking forward to getting, in the years going forward, yet another strong example of how tearing it all down to the studs (like so many folks keep insisting everybody should do every time the New Hotness comes along) is a consistent recipe for disaster. Because this will end badly. Of this I am absolutely, 100% certain.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Who is gonna play hockey for Chicago at this point?
They are probably in the process of signing the father of Connor Bedard to a 5 year 50 M $ dollar contract.
Basically guaranteeing that he will be a Blackhawk 8 years from now at the very latest...

@Viqsi:

Not really. I wouldn't be so sure about that at all.
We have seen times and times again that in order to win you need the top end stars.
Next year seems to happen to have potentially two of these guys at the top and they recently changed the lottery to benefit the worst teams again...

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
They are probably in the process of signing the father of Connor Bedard to a 5 year 50 M $ dollar contract.
Basically guaranteeing that he will be a Blackhawk 8 years from now at the very latest...

@Viqsi:

Not really. I wouldn't be so sure about that at all.
We have seen times and times again that in order to win you need the top end stars.
Next year seems to happen to have potentially two of these guys at the top and they recently changed the lottery to benefit the worst teams again...
:shakehead
I swear to G-d, everybody makes this particular strawman mistake...

Yes, having those top end stars greatly increases the chances of winning. BUT if you rip everything up like the Blackhawks are doing in an attempt to gamble for one, then even if you do get the guy (at best a weighted coin flip, and it is not weighted in your favor) the odds of him actually being able to lead the scrambled, broken, demoralized ash heap that constitutes the rest of the team that's left over are pretty much nonexistent. By tearing your team to shreds like this, you destroy any hope of being able to develop the supporting cast and you end up with folks that have all the talent in the world but zero motivation or confidence. We've seen it so many times before.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I feel like he didn't develop at all after the initial hype, peaked early hard i guess.
I remember really wanting him in my keeper league after watching a few of his college highlight videos. He seemed super dominant.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Are people seriously flipping tables over a team buying out a bust of a prospect?
It's more that they're doubling down on a strategy that already looked like they're dooming themselves to a decade or more of being the go-to NHL franchise for Where Talent Goes To Die.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Wasn't he the sweetener to take on Connelly's cap hit?
Him and Stillman. Stillman looks like an NHLer and as a Florida fan I miss (but still great trade)

It's rare for negative news about a player to come out of the Florida media, but we heard a lot about Borgstrom's work effort and lack of willingness to work on defensive game....

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00