Chevy cleared according to Pens insider

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
First off I started to advocate moving Trouba from his holdout 3 years ago and believed once Chevy got him on a bridge deal that was the best time to maximize the return. Not doing that and running out is time with the team as a grossly underpaid top pairing defenseman did have its merits though I'd have preferred the other route. At this point Trouba and KO tied Chevy's hands big time, but I wouldn't call it dragging by the balls as Chevy made the decision to get 3 years of a top pairing RHD at a small fraction of the going rate knowing it would come to him being cornered after year 3. The one thing I don't think Chevy accounted for is how down and dirty KO and Trouba would get to poison the return going into his final RFA year. They could have gone quietly saying we are open to all options and just let Trouba play out this season wherever he landed. Maybe Chevy learns from this, but it did take a true scum bag and an even bigger ******* agent to present such unique circumstances.

Well then honestly, shame on Chevy for not recognizing that. Did he think those two were suddenly going to turn around and play nice?

He got three years and one decent playoff run, I guess. It really shouldn’t have been at this cost, though.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Well then honestly, shame on Chevy for not recognizing that. Did he think those two were suddenly going to turn around and play nice?

He got three years and one decent playoff run, I guess.
That was always my dilemma. Preferring a clean break, closure and expecting KO would do his best to screw us over I wanted a Trouba trade every off season for the last 3 year years. When it didn't happen and the season started I appreciated having him on the team. For now I'm mostly happy he is gone, we are back in the 1st round and I hope desperately that Pionk is actually a good young player thrown in way over his head as a rookie and not a dud.

Reactions: thereturn and GNP

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He got three years and one decent playoff run, I guess. It really shouldn’t have been at this cost, though.

Well what was really the cost in the end? He got the first round pick and a depth player with top 4 upside (Maybe not the best shot in reaching it). The other rental deals usually included a good prospect and a conditional second. So in all likely hood we lost out on a B prospect and a conditional second. I'm not that happy with the deal but we didn't lose that much on it. I am ok sacrificing the return of those pieces for the playoff run imo. The last few seasons have given the org some credibility around the league.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
The other facts fit. If you trade him to the Penguins knowing he won't sign, you negatively affect your relationship with the agent, and you make yourself look shady to other GMs.

Black: With good relationships like Overhardt, who needs bad ones?
Blue: Or other GMs call him to congratulate him for giving Overhardt the shiv. At worst they think Chevy knows how to play hardball.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm not sure I 100 percent understand . I still dont get why the jets couldn't just do the trade? Trouba was threatening not to play for the penguins? Is it really that bad to play with Malkin and Crosby?

Reactions: Board Bard and GNP

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm not sure I 100 percent understand . I still dont get why the jets couldn't just do the trade? Trouba was threatening not to play for the penguins? Is it really that bad to play with Malkin and Crosby?
But why do the Pens do the trade once the well has been poisoned? They have no need to move valuable assets once they know KO's plans just for the headache and have their season disrupted.

Reactions: GNP

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

The Penguins are going to make the trade thinking they can re-sign Trouba long term. Chevy knows he won't because Overhardt told him that. He can make the trade, but his reputation with GMs around the league will take a big hit, though. Tougher to get stuff done in the future. Or, you be up front and tell the Penguins he's not going to re-sign after the year, but you can have him as a rental this season. The Penguins adjust their offer accordingly.

Overhardt may very well have said Trouba would sit out, or demand a trade. Even if he did say that, I don't believe they would. It still outs Chevy in a dilemma.

Reactions: The Big M and GNP

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
You know, there’s two sides to this coin. Trouba is played absolute dirty pool to get where he wants to be, but he is completely shot himself in the foot for actually earning any meaningful money. Or at least a GM with severe brain damage should be able to navigate those waters.

He exercised all of his leverage now, and forfeited all of it in the future.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
This Trouba talk will all go away when the Rangers sign him for about $ 8 -8.5 mil over 6 or 7 years. Then it will all be forgotten. The Rangers would not have acquired him, gave up their 1st round pick, without having a good idea if Trouba will resign long term with them.

Last edited:

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
You know, there’s two sides to this coin. Trouba is played absolute dirty pool to get where he wants to be, but he is completely shot himself in the foot for actually earning any meaningful money. Or at least a GM with severe brain damage should be able to navigate those waters.

He exercised all of his leverage now, and forfeited all of it in the future.
He can play for the islanders

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I hope the Jets as an organization start a "No KO" policy, and never deal with any player represented by him ever again.

I believe Kurt Overhart represents Copp --so Chevy has to deal with him, and likely will run into him again with other players.

You just have to know what to expect from him, and be better at the game than he is. It be nice to not have to deal with him, as you say though.

Reactions: purdy44

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Jacob Trouba was threatening to ONLY sign with New York which caused Cheveldayoff to deal him to New York. Pittsburgh were interested in Jacob Trouba, however, they were offering their 1st rounder + a higher end prospect if Trouba would actually negotiate a long term extension with them which he wasn't interested in.

Reactions: GNP

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
There is no anger or dislike button for the OP. All I can say is if Trouba ever runs his head into the dasher boards again in Winnipeg, there may be a faint cheer heard, though Manitobans are in general a respectful enough fanbase.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad