TSN: Cheveldayoff: Playoff Success Not A Given (see mod warning in OP)

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
http://www.tsn.ca/video/cheveldayoff-playoff-success-not-a-given~703446

Very in depth interview by Bob McKenzie.

Reading between the lines (all IMO)

Ladd negotiations - pretty far along
Buff negotiations - preliminary

Trouba Scheifele Lowry negotiations - one long term, two bridge deals

Armia and Ehlers will be part of the Jets this season.

Mod Warning

Critique posts, not posters. There's been far too much sniping directed at each other in the last two weeks, and I know the posters involved know better, and have seen the mods post this warning on multiple occasions.

It has to stop. Ask yourself the question before you hit "Post" - am I addressing points in the posters posts, or am I taking a shot at them personally? If it's the latter, edit it out, and do not post it. If you truly can not get along with someone, put them on your ignore list.

If you can't or won't do this, then we will start thread-banning people, and issuing infractions. I've learned a lot and enjoy the points made by both sides of these arguments, but I'm not going to hesitate to enforce the site rules, no matter who I agree or disagree with.

Let's discuss hockey, please?

Last edited by a moderator:

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Nothing new.

But nice to hear it.

Oh, and yes, Armia will definitely start for the Jets. Even in the hypothetical scenario that he's bad and playing him is a bad decision: not playing him would make Chevy look stupid for getting him in the trade. So he will get a chance.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Nothing really groundbreaking in that interview. We got another "it's a process" so I'm happy.

edit: It does seem like they want to give Armia and Ehlers a really good chance of making the team this year. Petan and Morrissey are likely heading to the Moose for the start of the season. Again, nothing new here but it's nice to hear some Jets talk.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Good interview. He told us everything that there was to tell. We can stop debating about trading Buff. It was never a possibility. There is going to be some competition for some jobs. Morrissey is going to be left to over ripen.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I thought that was a great interview! Credit to McKenzie for asking good questions. Chevy gave pretty interesting, elaborate answers. He seemed to let his guard down a little more than usual. Sure, he maneuvered around a few specifics McKenzie was pushing for. You can't really expect any different.

Still, he tipped his hand a few times, where you could read between the lines as Aavco posted.

A couple more I found interesting:
He was coy on Buff's exact contract status. I agree with Aavco that it sounds closer with Ladd and more preliminary with Buff. But Chevy did talk about a RHD moving over to left. That would suggest we aren't trading Buff immediately, at least. And Buff, Trouba, and Myers will all play top 4 minutes. Maybe Postma gets a shot as 3RHD? It'll be interesting to watch his camp.

I also like how he brought up Helle and Comrie pushing their way in, without being prompted to do so. (It was just on a general goalie question). Given some questionable TNSE moves in the past on GT, it's nice to hear Chevy properly recognize our fantastic goalie prospects as a near-term possibility.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think Copp is a shoe in as well.

Sounds like it.

Also interesting to hear how impressed they were with Petan last year. I didn't hear a similar comment about Ehlers, but I assume he will get a shot.

Armia was specifically mentioned as a top 9 candidate. I have no clue what that would do to the roster. Could they actually be thinking about 4 lines of good hockey players?

Last edited:

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Sounds like it.

Also interesting to hear how impressed they were with Petan last year. I didn't hear a similar comment about Ehlers, but I assume he will get a shot.

Armia was specifically mentioned as a top 9 candidate. I have no clue what that would do to the roster. Could they actually be thinking about 4 lines of good hockey players?

Stop it! That's crazy talk!:sarcasm:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Sounds like it.

Hockey Jesus has twin brothers?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Fantastic interview by McKenzie. He clearly does his homework and knows all of the key issues with the Jets. He sounds much more tuned in and focused on the key issues than some local media folks (like Lawless).

It sounds like the 4th line C spot is Copp's to lose.

If they keep Buff, expect one of the "big 3" on RD to spend time on LD. That might result in Morrissey spending quite a bit of time at the AHL level this year.

Didn't sound like the so-called "internal" cap was all that relevant going forward.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one of Ladd/Buff is unsigned heading into the season - most likely Buff.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sounds like it.

It certainly seems that the Jets are wanting to continue that "heavy" hockey.

I agree, the 4th C is Copp's to lose. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Armia as a big body, maybe even on the 4th line.

I wonder if the Jets might showcase Burmi for an eventual trade, with Petan or Armia then taking that roster spot.

The Jets have a lot of options....

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Sounds like it.

A 4th line on the Jets that plays more than 3 minutes a game..... I'll believe it when I see it.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
It certainly seems that the Jets are wanting to continue that "heavy" hockey.

I agree, the 4th C is Copp's to lose. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Armia as a big body, maybe even on the 4th line.

I wonder if the Jets might showcase Burmi for an eventual trade, with Petan or Armia then taking that roster spot.

The Jets have a lot of options....

Showcase Burmi for a trade... Why him over anyone else?

There are lots of options for sure. Hopefully the one they go with leads to many wins.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Showcase Burmi for a trade... Why him over anyone else?

There are lots of options for sure. Hopefully the one they go with leads to many wins.

Well, Burmi or Stafford. They are the two players in the top-9 that I see as the least "core". Ladd, Wheeler and Perreault seem less likely to be on the market (at least this year). That leaves Burmi and Stafford as the incumbent wingers who would need to be pushed out of the top-9 for players like Petan, Armia and Ehlers. In the coming 2-3 years I think that the Jets are going to need to have a few young players on ELCs in their top-9 to make the salary work under the cap.

Of course I would be ecstatic if Burmi blossoms into a top-end player and makes himself a valuable core player in the top-9.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Interview really didn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Well, Burmi or Stafford. They are the two players in the top-9 that I see as the least "core". Ladd, Wheeler and Perreault seem less likely to be on the market (at least this year). That leaves Burmi and Stafford as the incumbent wingers who would need to be pushed out of the top-9 for players like Petan, Armia and Ehlers. In the coming 2-3 years I think that the Jets are going to need to have a few young players on ELCs in their top-9 to make the salary work under the cap.

Of course I would be ecstatic if Burmi blossoms into a top-end player and makes himself a valuable core player in the top-9.

I'd suggest Burmi or Lowry or both could slide to the 4th line if there is too much scoring skill.

I'd love a 4th line similar to Chicago's. Staff - I don't see much value there if he isn't top 6.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Nothing new.

But nice to hear it.

Oh, and yes, Armia will definitely start for the Jets. Even in the hypothetical scenario that he's bad and playing him is a bad decision: not playing him would make Chevy look stupid for getting him in the trade. So he will get a chance.

I'm getting the distinct impression that this organization is more concerned about not looking bad than necessarily fielding the best team.

Hear me out. First they play Pavs through thick and thin when he's playing awful for season after season, not really bringing any decent backup in to challenge him, and continuously starting him even when a backup was playing superb. That was all to support a bad contract that really should have never happened & should have been nixed by a buyout.

Then they make the good trade with Buffalo but the verdict may still hang in the balance. Stafford works out well but was there really a need to bring him back for 2 more years at 4 mill per -- an awful lot for a middle 6 guy when you are in an impending cash crunch, prospects waiting in the wings, and there are perfectly good middle 6 guys like Stemp available for a heck of a lot less.

Then there's Armia & Lemieux. Armia, sure he probably needs to be given a look if he performs well in TC, but to basically have him pencilled in already really has me wondering. Lemieux too seems at times to be on the fast track to making it into the NHL. Gave him an really big ELC contract, talk highly of him, etc. etc even though he may be still years away if he ever makes it.

Just an impression I have, but they seem to be awful sensitive to public perception on these transactions & awfully reluctant to recognize that everyone makes mistakes, its how you recover after the mistake that separates the good from the ordinary.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Which means we already knew everything there was to know. He really didn't hold back. He isn't going to go into detail about the Ladd negotiations while they are ongoing. He didn't tell which candidate is going to win the top 9 job because that isn't decided yet. He told us there would be competition among the bottom group of D men. He didn't say what would happen to the losers.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Which means we already knew everything there was to know. He really didn't hold back. He isn't going to go into detail about the Ladd negotiations while they are ongoing. He didn't tell which candidate is going to win the top 9 job because that isn't decided yet. He told us there would be competition among the bottom group of D men. He didn't say what would happen to the losers.

Exactly. Total waste of 32 mins of my time watching it. :laugh:

But Bob is doing his job, not everyone is as informed as some of us on the forum. I like Bob a lot, but he was throwing Chevy easy ones, zero difficult questions. Just a feel good piece.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Nothing new.

But nice to hear it.

I'm getting the distinct impression that this organization is more concerned about not looking bad than necessarily fielding the best team.

Hear me out. First they play Pavs through thick and thin when he's playing awful for season after season, not really bringing any decent backup in to challenge him, and continuously starting him even when a backup was playing superb. That was all to support a bad contract that really should have never happened & should have been nixed by a buyout.

Then they make the good trade with Buffalo but the verdict may still hang in the balance. Stafford works out well but was there really a need to bring him back for 2 more years at 4 mill per -- an awful lot for a middle 6 guy when you are in an impending cash crunch, prospects waiting in the wings, and there are perfectly good middle 6 guys like Stemp available for a heck of a lot less.

Then there's Armia & Lemieux. Armia, sure he probably needs to be given a look if he performs well in TC, but to basically have him pencilled in already really has me wondering. Lemieux too seems at times to be on the fast track to making it into the NHL. Gave him an really big ELC contract, talk highly of him, etc. etc even though he may be still years away if he ever makes it.

Just an impression I have, but they seem to be awful sensitive to public perception on these transactions & awfully reluctant to recognize that everyone makes mistakes, its how you recover after the mistake that separates the good from the ordinary.

I'm not sure how this makes any sense at all. How do you look "good" by putting a bad team on the ice. Chevy, Maurice and everyone else wants to win, and they know that the only way they look "good" is if they do that.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Nothing new.

But nice to hear it.

No management or ownership group regardless of Industry wants to look dumb or ignores public opinion completely. Not saying Jets care more or less but they do care about public opinion and Chevy sure cares.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

What did you expect?

Other than him divulging details about ongoing contract negotiations, I'm not sure what else he's supposed to say. I think we have a better sense of where he thinks some of the prospects are, though it's obviously up to the coach to assess them during training camp before knowing what role they might play this season. I thought it was pretty clear that the Jets still plan to play a "heavy" game. That might have been one aspect that concerned me a bit. I think we need more quickness and talent on the team, so I hope Maurice doesn't over-emphasize the big lugs.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Exactly. Total waste of 32 mins of my time watching it. :laugh:

But Bob is doing his job, not everyone is as informed as some of us on the forum. I like Bob a lot, but he was throwing Chevy easy ones, zero difficult questions. Just a feel good piece.

Well you are right it was something of a feel good piece. They are doing a series of interviews with the GMs of the Canadian teams. McKenzie isn't going to get that kind of access if he grills them. I don't know what kind of questions you expect or want. The things he didn't say are all things he isn't going to say no matter how hard he is pushed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad