OT: Chess

Status
Not open for further replies.

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Openings should not be a big part of study until you are 2000-2100+. Just general opening principales is enough.

Tactics, plans, pawn structures and endgames should come first.

With job, kids and all don’t have much time to play. I will try to enjoy the candidates. Afterwards, I am hoping someone beats Carlsen because I think if that happens we will see him reach another level. (and that will be good for him and chess).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
@aufheben Ah, you're right. When you play an "exhibition" game against the computer, it doesn't track the opening.

If you go into "Live Game" where you would play people, there is an option to play a computer of whatever strength you want, in a rated or unrated game. That game will list the opening and it will allow you to analyse it afterwards. It should even suggest training puzzles and whatnot based on your mistakes.
YESSS oh my god thanks dude! Oh, they give you post-game reports and stuff too? This is really awesome for a free account.

Edit: If you beat the computer in a Live Game it improves your rating? That's dope. #GoodbyeLife

Last edited:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Openings should not be a big part of study until you are 2000-2100+. Just general opening principales is enough.

Tactics, plans, pawn structures and endgames should come first.

With job, kids and all don’t have much time to play. I will try to enjoy the candidates. Afterwards, I am hoping someone beats Carlsen because I think if that happens we will see him reach another level. (and that will be good for him and chess).

Do you have any particular guy that you are rooting for in the Candidates?

Endgames have always been my weakest point. Growing up, there wasn't really anybody who wanted to play as much as me so I was already won by most endgames. Playing against equal strength players now, I have thrown away many a game with one very poor move with a little time pressure in the back of my mind.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
When's the next major tournament? Might need something to watch sans hockey.

The Candidates Tournament starts Tuesday and runs until April 3rd.

Every second year there are a bunch of qualifying methods for 8 guys to get into this tournament where the winner will face the current world champion (World #1 Magnus Carlsen) in a best-of-14 match for the title later in the year. Last year was the qualifying part of the cycle, and the 8 qualifiers (World #s 2,3,4,5,8,11,12, and 39) will play the Candidates Tournament this year.

Two years ago, world #2, Fabiano Caruana (American) made the World Championship match against Carlsen, and took it to tie breaks before losing. This year, Caruana and world #3, Ding Liren (China) are the heavy favourites against the field to advance to the World Championship.

Carlsen is one of the best players of all time, and Decmeber will be his fourth world championship match, and third defense since taking the title from Vishy Anand.

Candidates Tournament 2020 - Wikipedia

FIDE Candidates Tournament 2020: All The Info

edit - Chess.com will have the live stream up on their site. Hess is an excellent commentator, and there will be three other top 20 players popping in and out doing commentatry; including Anand.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
The Candidates Tournament starts Tuesday and runs until April 3rd.

Every second year there are a bunch of qualifying methods for 8 guys to get into this tournament where the winner will face the current world champion (World #1 Magnus Carlsen) in a best-of-14 match for the title later in the year. Last year was the qualifying part of the cycle, and the 8 qualifiers (World #s 2,3,4,5,8,11,12, and 39) will play the Candidates Tournament this year.

Two years ago, world #2, Fabiano Caruana (American) made the World Championship match against Carlsen, and took it to tie breaks before losing. This year, Caruana and world #3, Ding Liren (China) are the heavy favourites against the field to advance to the World Championship.

Carlsen is one of the best players of all time, and Decmeber will be his fourth world championship match, and third defense since taking the title from Vishy Anand.

Candidates Tournament 2020 - Wikipedia

FIDE Candidates Tournament 2020: All The Info

edit - Chess.com will have the live stream up on their site. Hess is an excellent commentator, and there will be three other top 20 players popping in and out doing commentatry; including Anand.
Chess.com literally the dopest. It's just live streams of GMs playing blitz lirl. Thanks man!

agadmator cracks me up. I could listen to that dude describe any situation in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harbour Dog

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Do you have any particular guy that you are rooting for in the Candidates?

Endgames have always been my weakest point. Growing up, there wasn't really anybody who wanted to play as much as me so I was already won by most endgames. Playing against equal strength players now, I have thrown away many a game with one very poor move with a little time pressure in the back of my mind.

I think Ding has good chances against Carlsen but I would be fine with a Caruana rematch.

If Caruana wins it would be huge for chess in the US.

I like MVL and Nepo but at this point I think they would need a little luck to win and then beat Carlsen but who knows.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think Ding has good chances against Carlsen but I would be fine with a Caruana rematch.

If Caruana wins it would be huge for chess in the US.

I like MVL and Nepo but at this point I think they would need a little luck to win and then beat Carlsen but who knows.

I think MVL is the most capable of the other six guys to give Carlsen a run.

I've got a soft spot for Grischuk as well; I'd like to see him win the Candidates. I just don't think he would have a hope in hell against Magnus.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I skipped a grade in NY and when my parents moved to Florida. I had already taken most of their required classes so I was forced to take some electives like Keyboards and Chess. I had never played before, but I loved the game from day 1 and within a week or so I made the school's chess team. I made it to first chair within a couple of weeks.

We moved back to NY the following year and I would occasionally play at chess/game stores. I started playing hockey and football again, so I eventually stopped playing chess. The only time I ever played again was on the occasional flight to the Netherlands for work year later.

Oddly, I was on Youtube earlier this week completely out of the blue looking at some chess channels. Reminiscing I guess. It's a great game. I always loved Searching for Bobby Fischer. I catch it from time to time.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Chess is something I always wished I was good at

I just get pwned every time i try lmao
*pawned

First things first, this is how you set up the board:

1sfisch.png

Last edited:

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
I'm far from able to watch Grandmaster games without somebody to lead me around by the nose as well.

Robert Hess on chess.com is my favourite commentator that I have seen. He sees interesting variations incredibly quickly, doesn't confuse me by rambling them out faster than my eyes can stumble around the board, and explains the reasoning behind them exceptionally well.

Will you be cheering against Caruana and Ding in the Candidates for Magnus' sake?

I am not sure a Caruana - Carlsen game is a good idea. In the match in 2018 they clearly had too much respect for each other strengths. Caruanas openings and counting and Carlsens grinding and end games. But the quality was sky high if I understood it correctly.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
*pawned

First things first, this is how you set up the board:

1sfisch.png
I know way more than my ability would display lol >.< I don’t really know any strategies but I know like all the pieces and where they can move. Also obscurer stuff like getting the pawn to the end and getting whatever piece you want back. I WAS in chess club for like a month in middle school, sooo

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
Chess is something I always wished I was good at

I just get pwned every time i try lmao
It takes a lot if time. Start with basic tactics books. And go through repeatedly until you can solves them in a few seconds. Do that with 2 or 3 books in rotation and you will start to see a difference.

Give yourself 2 years of almost daily training (30 mins) like this, what a few occasional GM games here and there and after a while you will get results.

You will still get smacked by masters because that’s a completely different ball game.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I know way more than my ability would display lol >.< I don’t really know any strategies but I know like all the pieces and where they can move. Also obscurer stuff like getting the pawn to the end and getting whatever piece you want back. I WAS in chess club for like a month in middle school, sooo
Important and simple things to learn:
• Rules. They’re actually not complicated at all, there’s just a couple special rules with pawns.
- Castling
- Pawns can move up to 2 spots forward on only their first move each
- “En Passant”
• Piece value (pieces are all the guys on the back row). Pawn = 1, Knight/Bishop = 3, Rook = 5, Queen = 9
• Opening principles (not as daunting as it sounds, just stuff like control the center, castle early, develop i.e. move pieces)

Once you understand how each piece moves and piece value—to start anyway—it’s just a matter of winning material, i.e. losing a bishop to take a rook. When you can beat a Level 1 computer then I’d move on to more complicated stuff. You can always play puzzles instead of games to help you, Lichess has free puzzles, they even have an app for your phone.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's Harbour Dog. I use that as a tag for pretty much everything haha. I come from a little Newfoundland town call English Harbour, and for whatever reason the surrounding communities always referred to us affectionately as 'Harbour Dogs'.

Add me!
I’m always surprised and annoyed by how often “Aufheben” is already taken when I sign up for sites. Like, really? :laugh:

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I’m always surprised and annoyed by how often “Aufheben” is already taken when I sign up for sites. Like, really? :laugh:

Maybe you have drunkenly signed up for hundreds of sites using an alternate email, just to f*** with Future Aufheben haha

I have never had that problem Harbour Dog.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
True story. Learned the basics from my best friend Johnny. I was 15, he...... 23 or 24.
He taught me the guitar, and the art of smoking something wacky. Thanks Johnny for all that.
A week or 2 of losing every game.
All of a sudden something "clicked".
I got Checkmate in, I think like 10-12 moves. (Maybe less)
Yes, we were both quite stoned.......but regardless. I got into this "mode" of totally understanding what in the hell I was doing!
He freaked out on me and said; "WTF? Have you been practicing?
Then I asked; "Who in the hell can practice that much in 2 weeks, in which the perfect scenario arises for something like that to happen?

You cant make this shit up. Don't think we played a helluva lot after that. I may have blown up his ego. R.I.P. My dear friend Johnny. I am sorry, I told on you.

Say Hey Kid

War, children, it’s just a shot away
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
It's Harbour Dog. I use that as a tag for pretty much everything haha. I come from a little Newfoundland town call English Harbour, and for whatever reason the surrounding communities always referred to us affectionately as 'Harbour Dogs'. Add me!
I put in a friend request for you. There's no space in your username. It's just "HarbourDog".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad