WJC: Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

Mehar

Apr 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Those who love him do so because of the buffoon in him. That's his gig - he deliberately says outrageous things that please some element of the Canadian viewing audience because it puts money in his pocket - something that his coaching or playing would never have done. He's a paid buffoon, and as long as he keeps taking it to the bank with him, it just makes good sense for him to say the things that are going to stir up the pot the most.

I can not believe this thread is going on and on (LOL). I like Cherry, but i disagree with him when he says this statement. A lot of Canadians play in the NCAA, and having top flight Europeans in the CHL only helps to elevate the level of play in the league.

The CHL is about developing players for the NHL as well. Regardless of nationality, the league should be about developing the best talent for the NHL. Having two Europeans on each team is not the end of the world. I like Don, but he is wrong when he says that.

masseman3

Jan 8, 2009
Don Cherry: It's ok that Canada plays crap junior hockey - we don't care. But it's not OK that you are so butthurt over not winning that you become the worst loser in the world. :yo:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I just wanted to come on and say how ironic it is that people who have so much anger, hate and contempt for Don Cherry do so because of the so-called hate he apparently spreads.

If we had to use a sliding scale, the amount of dislike Don has for Europeans is far, far less (I would argue none) than the amount of hate spewed forth from those who love to see the man kicked and kicked again just because he has a different point of view than you do. Some of you sound not only angry, but violently so.

I am sorry, but you are in the minority. Most Canadians (maybe not the enlightened ones on here, of course) love Don Cherry and what he stands for. Intsead of reading snippets of articles and casting gloom over every word out of his mouth without actually looking into why he says certain things, we dig deeper and try to see all sides, and respect the fact the guy just loves Canada (I know, crazy concept - one which perhaps eludes the younger generation who can't read more than a 100 character tweet).

If you feel as though I am wrong, I have statistics that speak to the contrary:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Canadian

Yeah Don's the victim here.:rolleyes:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Don is right. It is better for euro kids not to play CHL. Why? Because of rule that 20y old can not play AHL if drafted from CHL club. Look at Koko, Grigs, Yakupov. All would play CHL this season if no lockout and KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad