WJC: Cherry: CHL should stop letting Americans and Europeans to play in CHL (merged)

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
Don Cherry credits Canada for international juniors' success

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/01/04/sp-nhl-hockey-cherry-chl-twitter.html

The Coach's Corner commentator used Twitter on Friday to argue that many of the biggest stars at this year's event have either played in the Canadian Hockey League or have been influenced by Canadians.

"Check out the stars on the foreign teams, where the majority of them played and where they got their development and what coaches are coaching them in their development? You'll find that it was Canadians in junior hockey," he said through his Twitter account.

Cherry also said that the CHL should change its name if it's going to continue to allow roster spots for non-Canadian players.

"I still say the Canadian Hockey League should be for Canadians, either that or change the name.Some Canadian guy spends thousands on sticks, travel, equipment, pays his taxes and his kid is cut from the CHL for some kid who's father never contributed a cent to Canada.

"Lots of people agree with me but when asked say the safe thing. I don't blame them. As my mother used to say, 'If you don't like my gate, don't swing on it.'"

"I know we lost. I am not a gracious guy," he said via Twitter. "Let's see how many guys from the tournament make the NHL. You'll find Canada will be No. 1."

:shakehead

discuss

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
is he wrong that plenty of CHL players are playing for teams that aren't Canada? Hell you can argue that the american goaltender is their MVP so far and he's a CHL guy right?

argue with his anti imports in the CHL stance all you like but the CHL is helping develop players from every country.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
That's not true at all for Sweden juniors at least where an EXTREME minority plays in Canada, and I can not think for a second that most of the stars in Finland and Russia developed in Canada.

Last edited:

dwanmaster*

Well if It's because of CHL players that countries ar doing good, why is Canada playing for Bronze then?

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Eh, players like Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Marty Turco, Paul Kariya, etc went to college in the US and took a scholarship away from an American kid whose parents pay taxes in America. Big effin deal. Europe/Russia has provided an insane amount of talent to pro hockey and the US college system will provide as much if not more talent. So have some cheese with your whine, Grapes. :D

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
Oh Cherry, you're such a gem. :laugh:

Is this where we now start a flame war between countries? Or has that been done to death yet? :sarcasm:

It's Cherry. You guys still claim him? He's like a Canadian hockey loving Gary Busey. Unfortunately a Gary Busey with a national stage.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don Cherry quotes should come with the following disclaimer:

For entertainment purposes only.

Mit Yarrum

HoF Turd Shiner
Apr 1, 2010
Which team in the tourney has the highest percentage of kids in the CHL? Will they medal?

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Eh, players like Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Marty Turco, Paul Kariya, etc went to college in the US and took a scholarship away from an American kid whose parents pay taxes in America. Big effin deal. Europe/Russia has provided an insane amount of talent to pro hockey and the US college system will provide as much if not more talent. So have some cheese with your whine, Grapes. :D

This is a great point. Exactly how many Canadian kids are playing NCAA at the moment? I'm guessing a whole lot.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
He has a point but he's missing the mark. First any Canadian that loses their spot would be marginal to begin with, second this good for hockey overall, third it is actually better for Canadian hockey, as it brings up the quality of junior hockey here.

I wouldn't change a thing.

edit:

Would he prefer that we win every juniors? We're always the favorite to go in pretty much, but don't always pull it off. How much interest would there be if Canada won each game by a margin of 5+ goals? Quality of competition is good. Scouts love these tournaments.

CoopALoop

Apr 19, 2012
Van, Bandwagoner
It's Cherry. You guys still claim him? He's like a Canadian hockey loving Gary Busey. Unfortunately a Gary Busey with a national stage.

At this point, were kind of stuck with him.

I mean, his rants can be entertaining as long as the viewer realizes that's he's an old coot.

Though, do you guys want him? :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad