Euro: Chelsea for sale

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Ricketts wins, which I doubt he will, I'm giving up Chelsea and will focus on a different non-English club. I can live with a Russian oligarch, but I draw the line at a Chicago Cubs owner. Gross.

Half-serious/half-sarcastic.

Reactions: hatterson

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
man as a Cubs and Liverpool fan I'm desperately hoping Ricketts gets Chelsea. That old money faucet will be turned off real quick under him lol

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I saw the protest stuff today. Real talk from any Chelsea supporter, but if say, they were richer and more likely to spend money, would it be more supported?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I saw the protest stuff today. Real talk from any Chelsea supporter, but if say, they were richer and more likely to spend money, would it be more supported?
In regards to the say no to Ricketts stuff? They have Ken Griffin in their group who is richer than Roman, and every other group has the money and sports ownership history where winning on some level will be a priority. The Boehly group has Mark Walter now too. So, as a fan, I'm not worried about ability to spend and maintain a winning culture.

And that leads to your question. This is not a knock on Chelsea fans, it's really on fans in general. Once a team starts winning, no one will care who the owner is, that's why Chelsea supporters protesting certain groups based on moral issues bothers me. I don't want Ricketts because I'm a bigger Cardinals fan and hate the Cubs more than any Chelsea rival, it has nothing to do with his morals or past action. To criticize Ricketts after years of supporting Roman is just batshit insane to me.

If Ricketts wins the bid, and then we buy a bunch of players and we win something, all the complaints will magically disappear.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Thanks for the response. I meant more in the idea that the Ricketts seem to not be spending whatever it takes. I think they would likely operate within their means (if not less so) which would not be like what Roman did.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the response. I meant more in the idea that the Ricketts seem to not be spending whatever it takes. I think they would likely operate within their means (if not less so) which would not be like what Roman did.
I don't think any ownership group does what Roman did, but lets say they operate with a little more stability in the sense that the average manager gets 3 years instead of 18 months. That's already saving millions owed to coaches no longer employed, and likely saves millions of players that have to be bought to fit a new system. Maybe that means a bit less trophies, but if we still collect trophies at least every few years, then fans will gloss over any issues they have with the current bidders.

Reactions: Blender and gary69

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't think any ownership group does what Roman did, but lets say they operate with a little more stability in the sense that the average manager gets 3 years instead of 18 months. That's already saving millions owed to coaches no longer employed, and likely saves millions of players that have to be bought to fit a new system. Maybe that means a bit less trophies, but if we still collect trophies at least every few years, then fans will gloss over any issues they have with the current bidders.
Chelsea's youth academy is so stacked from years of Roman investment that the club really should operate more by using it.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Looks like the Boehly group is the preferred bidder and will have an exclusive period to finalize a deal.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
It might be just for PR purposes, but if it is for real, I hope Ratcliffe's late bid would be chosen. Roman still has the final say over the sale, regardless of any recommendation by Raine group.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Here's a thread on it.

It will effectively come down to how much the UK govt wants to punish Putin (and I assume extremely so). I think they would let the club go bust before letting Roman get money. With everyone's baked in opinions of Chelsea it might even be popular.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Roman's actions were always designed to protect as much of his money as possible.

He knew that if he came out with anything but very forceful "I will not profit" language right at the beginning then the UK gov would already be well along the process of having Chelsea seized and Roman would get nothing.

So he came out with strong language to try to maintain control, and over time he's slowly whittled away at it as he thinks the political winds shift (stories come out about him being such a help in trying for diplomacy, the public attention waning, etc.)

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Chelsea Football Club can confirm that terms have been agreed for a new ownership group, led by Todd Boehly, Clearlake Capital, Mark Walter and Hansjoerg Wyss, to acquire the Club.​

Of the total investment being made, £2.5bn will be applied to purchase the shares in the Club and such proceeds will be deposited into a frozen UK bank account with the intention to donate 100% to charitable causes as confirmed by Roman Abramovich. UK Government approval will be required for the proceeds to be transferred from the frozen UK bank account.

In addition, the proposed new owners will commit £1.75bn in further investment for the benefit of the Club. This includes investments in Stamford Bridge, the Academy, the Women’s Team and Kingsmeadow and continued funding for the Chelsea Foundation.

The sale is expected to complete in late May subject to all necessary regulatory approvals. More details will be provided at that time.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

…”
The club was put up for sale before owner Roman Abramovich was sanctioned for his alleged links to Russian president Vladimir Putin following the invasion of Ukraine.

However a senior Whitehall source revealed there was now "serious concern" that the oligarch was "willing to let Chelsea go under" over an alleged "refusal to agree to a sale structure that gives ministers confidence that proceeds would go to a good cause".

Essentially, despite committing to all proceeds going to good causes in public, Abramovich seems unwilling to give the same legal commitments, which would have backed up his public statements of about a week ago, that in the deal neither he nor his affiliates could basically try and stake a claim to that unpaid debt between Fordstam and Camberley.

"A deal which would allow the cash to be diverted during the deal would be a breach of sanctions and is seen as a red line for ministers."

Last edited:

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
To me, this looks more like the club executives trying to get the "We have a deal" out there to put pressure to move it forward.

The loan bit is more than a bit nuanced. The snag from what I'm reading in the guardian has to do more with the fact that they want to stash his 1.6 in an escrow, effectively, for Ukrainian victims (though that's a bit nebulous). the problem is the club (via Roman) have to settle the loan money with the Jersey company that he more or less owns a part of.

Personally, I don't think there's much choice other than to blow it up. He wants his money, he should be sanctioned, so, seize the asset.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
PL has approved the takeover.

Was expected. This is just the standard "will the new owners be good owners" check and since they've just approved the Saudi's to own Newcastle it would be shocking for them to reject basically anyone.

The big question is still around what the UK gov does in regards to the loan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad