Euro: Chelsea for sale

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Was expected. This is just the standard "will the new owners be good owners" check and since they've just approved the Saudi's to own Newcastle it would be shocking for them to reject basically anyone.

The big question is still around what the UK gov does in regards to the loan.
Government just cleared the sale.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

lmlrugzn87291.jpg

Lots to criticize him for off the field, but his success as a sports owner is undeniable.

Reactions: cheechoo and gary69

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017

lmlrugzn87291.jpg

Lots to criticize him for off the field, but his success as a sports owner is undeniable.
I don't want to be negative, that's quite a haul, no deny about that.

It also showed how teams could buy their success to the top which also enabled Man City success.

Some like it, especially fans of these teams (obviously) other believe it kind of tainted the game.

My feeling it forced other teams to innovate to get success because you cannot beat super financial entities like that. Sustainability is the hardest part when you are not as strong financially though.

On the other hand, Money is not everything has Man United have also shown they were not able to purchase the same success once Fergy left but it helps a lot.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I don't want to be negative, that's quite a haul, no deny about that.

It also showed how teams could buy their success to the top which also enabled Man City success.

Some like it, especially fans of these teams (obviously) other believe it kind of tainted the game.

My feeling it forced other teams to innovate to get success because you cannot beat super financial entities like that. Sustainability is the hardest part when you are not as strong financially though.

On the other hand, Money is not everything has Man United have also shown they were not able to purchase the same success once Fergy left but it helps a lot.
I think the main thing money has gotten for Chelsea since the initial investments (since those were hugely important to buying their way in the door) was forgiveness for bad decisions. It's much easier to dig your way out of mistakes when you can throw money at it than otherwise, where some clubs that have even huge revenue refuse to do that and their mistakes hurt them badly.

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
What makes Roman a special owner apart from the money? The dirty money to be specific.
If just spending money brought success there would be other clubs with as good or better track records that have spent as much or more than he has. It's the people he hired and how the money was spent, not just the money.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
If just spending money brought success there would be other clubs with as good or better track records that have spent as much or more than he has. It's the people he hired and how the money was spent, not just the money.
I mean, that list of clubs that have spent as much or more is pretty small. Chelsea also had the advantage of being first. They spent like drunk sailors before there were a half dozen plus teams in England and the continent doing it at the same time. It's kind of like O6 teams bragging about Cups they won.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Roman Abramovich secretly funded the takeover of a Dutch top division football club and bankrolled it for years during the period that he also owned Chelsea, leaked documents appear to show.

The documents, reviewed by the Guardian and the Bureau of Investigative Journalism, appear to reveal for the first time at least €117m (£102.8m) in secret funding from Abramovich for the Vitesse takeover, which flowed through a series of entities registered in opaque offshore tax havens.

Links to Chelsea were suspected at the time of the 2010 takeover, which was led by the Georgian former footballer Merab Jordania. While he described Abramovich as his friend at the inaugural press conference, Jordania denied the oligarch was involved.

Suspicions of links continued after Jordania’s takeover, as Chelsea used Vitesse – which plays in the Dutch Eredivisie – as a partner club, to which players not yet ready for the demands of the English Premier League could be loaned and gain competitive experience. 29 Chelsea players went to Vitesse on loan throughout the 2010s, notably including the Serbia international Nemanja Matić and the current Chelsea and England star Mason Mount, who played for Vitesse in the 2017-18 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad