News Article: Chelios supports idea of Wings HOF

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Could function as a medium to honor the Wings who were important to the franchise but not destined for the HHOF.

Also I'm sure Chelios must be thrilled to grant an interview with the author only to see she couldn't take three seconds to google the title of his book.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Of course he's in favor of that, he'd be in it. :laugh: But yeah, I've been posting about this for years. The Flyers do it and it seems like a great idea. It'd give honors to guys like Draper, Maltby, McCarty, Holmstrom, Shanahan, Osgood, Hasek, Chelios, Ullman, and many others who don't deserve their numbers retired, but deserve to acknowledged for their contributions.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not in favor of a Wings HoF, for me that's what the jersey retirement is. But some sort of Wings museum would be neat. It would need to be more about celebrating the history of the Wings than celebrating specific players.

tsbilly

May 20, 2012
Not in favor of a Wings HoF, for me that's what the jersey retirement is. But some sort of Wings museum would be neat. It would need to be more about celebrating the history of the Wings than celebrating specific players.

"But some sort of Wings museum would be neat."

Isn't this what a Wings museum would be? I am all for a Wings Hall of Fame (or Ring of Honor, or whatever you want to call it). I want to see artifacts of beloved players that were not HHOF players. McCarty's stick from the Roy Hat Trick, Probert's gloves from any time he dropped them, Peter Klima's skates, the rush of air as Draper flies by you.

Why bother celebrating "the history of the Wings" outside the contect of the players and their accomplishments?

Call it what you want. Any Wings museum would be a collection of PLAYER artifacts. Or do you want to see Dellevano's pen, Jacques Demer's 'Speak and Say', Scotty Bowman's gum, or Ken Holland's puckered MOD...?

Last edited by a moderator:

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Makes me wonder how the panel and inaugural induction process would be set up.

I assume the first class would be all those who have jersey's hanging in the rafters.

But after than then you're right - who gets to choose and what would the critera be. For this reason I think a museum would be the better way to go than HOF.

nina2001

Jul 27, 2015
V2-140919735.jpg

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/1302119-ddahearingfinal.html#document

I think there will probably be a HOF or museum type place at the new arena especially with all the retail and office space connected to it. Maybe they could even have it underground next to the practice rink. I think parts that are labeled as "special feature" are usually reserved for statues. Could that be something like the Gordie Howe entrance at the Joe?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Of course he's in favor of that, he'd be in it. :laugh: But yeah, I've been posting about this for years. The Flyers do it and it seems like a great idea. It'd give honors to guys like Draper, Maltby, McCarty, Holmstrom, Shanahan, Osgood, Hasek, Chelios, Ullman, and many others who don't deserve their numbers retired, but deserve to acknowledged for their contributions.

Just what I thought when I saw the thread header. :)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Some funny trade deadline stuff... :)

at 10:55 time

Just found this legendary interview, where Chelly says, "I'd never play for Detroit, that's how much I hate them..."

...and two months later he was traded to Detroit. And played with us for 10 years. :D

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
It is a Great Idea!

Lets be honest, great role players like McCarty, Maltby and Draper were crucial in multiple Stanley cup championships. But they will be forgotten to future generations because they didn't have the shiny statistics of top line 'ring of honor', 'number retired' type stars. Chris Osgood was a polarizing figure during a lot of the glory years. Unbelievable win % and great numbers. Success, failures. Loved and opposed at times. He won't have his number retired, he won't make the hokey hall of fame. But darn that guy should be remembered/appreciated in Red Wings history.

Bob Probert.... the list goes on and on. To those saying that these type players might water down the significance of a Wings Hall of Fame. I think if you asked Yzerman or Lidstrom, they would say otherwise and be proud to have those guys honored right along side them.

This would be the perfect venue for honoring a lot of awesome Red Wings. Long serving impact players who were beloved by the fan base. There is soooo much rich history in this franchise and I would look forward to visiting.

Gyldenlove

Jun 10, 2013
Why not make it a "Ring of Fame" with a players name and number or in the case of coaches/gms just name and title on the front of the ring on the upper tiers. That way players who contributed significantly but maybe not quite enough for a full on number retirement still get permanent and official recognition. Obviously there are a number of candidates who could be introduced the first few years. Maybe for the home opener each season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad