Chelios says the players have talked about their own league

Status
Not open for further replies.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, they will start a senior league for retired, dumb and greedy players. You only have to fit one of those descriptions and you're in! I know this all sounds too good to be true, but there is a catch. The league will be capped at 7 million dollars per team ;)

pacde

Dec 9, 2004
kremlin said:
Yeah, they will start a senior league for retired, dumb and greedy players. You only have to fit one of those descriptions and you're in! I know this all sounds too good to be true, but there is a catch. The league will be capped at 7 million dollars per team ;)

Thats no catch, thats still more than 100% of the revenues

caps

Feb 3, 2005
Southeastern VA
kremlin said:

:lol:

Mighty Duck

Jul 6, 2003
Visit site
caps said:
ooooo, my feelings are hurt :cry: if the caps put a better product on the ice, quit getting rid of their veterans, then maybe more people would attend games like they did when they played in landover

Just dig out your old tapes, as the older you get, the better you was!! That pretty much sums it up, it will be the only hockey you will get to watch there this year and next. By that time, most people in Washington will be changed their entertainment habits to the Washington Senators (MLB). Hockey is history there, as the fan base is maxed out.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Mighty Duck said:
For sure, in Canada, no problem, as the Brad May Charity game was sold out, with scalpers make a killing. For all you whiners and snivellers, the fans would show up, and for you few who complain, you can stay here while the rest of the real hockey fans are watching the player's league.

Thats terrific...thats terrific !! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Mighty Duck said:
For sure, in Canada, no problem, as the Brad May Charity game was sold out, with scalpers make a killing. For all you whiners and snivellers, the fans would show up, and for you few who complain, you can stay here while the rest of the real hockey fans are watching the player's league.

Let me tell you how pathetic this would be...They could play in my basement and I would not even go down the 10 steps to watch that slop !!!! :lol

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Heres an idea for protest:

Protest the players who dream of this drivel.

Next time the Wings are in town, I'm wearing a clown suit under a Chelios jersey. I swear to god i'll get on camera.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
monkey_00 said:
transplant99.........

Sounds like a great idea HOWEVER why wouldnt these players just join up with the WHA for next season instead?

Cheers!

monkey_00
WHA has proposed a salary cap.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
The most ironic part is that if there were only 6 or 8 teams, Chelios wouldn't even be good enough to play in that league..... ;)

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Wolfpack said:
The most ironic part is that if there were only 6 or 8 teams, Chelios wouldn't even be good enough to play in that league..... ;)

Valid point, not just Chelios but a lot of the older players would not make the cut with contraction

Luc Labelle

Lucius 895 Injuries
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2005
Winnipeg
Chuck Shick said:
For sure, in Canada, no problem, as the Brad May Charity game was sold out, with scalpers make a killing.
This is no indication of what type of support the player's league would get.

#1: Supply and demand: This is a one-time game for Vancouver hockey fans who are desperate to see NHL players again. On the supply and demand side of things, I am not sure but how many Vancouver sporting events were going on the week of December 13, 2004. I know the Brandon Wheat Kings would draw close to 8000 fans in Winnipeg when they had to reschedule their playoff game to the Winnipeg Arena. But this year they only drew a little over 3000 fans for a regular season game. The media was wondering about the decline without looking at the fact the Moose were playing in the MTS Centre 4 times in 9 days.

#2: Charity... people are going to the game partially because proceeds are being given to charity. If this was not the case people would be more inclined to avoid lining the greedy players' pockets. Why do you think most of these player barn-storming tours usually have a charity component to them during the lockouts?

MagnusJondus

Great Merican Hero
Mar 25, 2002
Ben Avon Hts, PA
No matter if a new league forms, the NHL will always have the most coveted trophy in sport... the Stanley Cup. I wouldn't underestimate the mystique of that trophy in the public's eye. Even if its given to replacement players, people will still watch to get that chill in their spine when it's lifted overhead.

That's something the WHA or whaetver league could never replicate.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Maybe they can get Alan Eagleson as the executive director for their union.

Hard to choose between him & Goodenow though. They both did a great job for the players. :joker:

One thing these negotiations have shown, the players are too stupid to look out for their own interests, and have no clue how to select someone who will. The 10 or so that at some point indicated they'd be willing to play for a cap are the only smart ones in the bunch. Those who backed Goodenow are complete morons, and those who kept their mouth shut followed the mantra of "better to keep your mouth shut & be thought a moron, than to open it & remove all doubt".

Now we see players (Jay McKee) indicating they don't understand why they waited until now, if they were eventually going to accept a salary cap....Morons.

Habber

May 31, 2002
Saskatoon, Sask.
Visit site
I would think finding places to play would be a big problem. Even rinks that aren't owned/leased by NHL teams would be out of the question. A lot of minor league and junior teams have clauses in their leases that prevent another hockey team from playing there. Any team in the AHL wouldn't let an upstart league use their arena, as they'd be in direct competition with them. Nor would any junior team be willing to work with an upstart league when you consider how much money the NHL funnels into junior hockey.

This is on top of the other million and one logistcial nightmares associated with what is really a stupid idea for a league that no one will care about anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad