Checking in on our long lost son Mike

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
Hello, Caps fan here coming in peace.

I just wanted to check in and see how Mike Green is doing this year and how you guys feel about him thus far. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss him, even if we are having a terrific season without him.

I haven't been able to watch many Wings games so I don't really know how his season has been.

Thanks for any feedback!

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He's doing good. I think he helps the team. Some fans here think he hasn't "gelled" or "built chemistry" with the team yet. But I think this is just who he is.

All-in-all, happy to have him

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Honestly he was pretty bad and unnoticeable up until he got hurt. Since he came back, he seems like he found his game, and has shown some very slick offensive moves.

Only problem with him, is his turnovers, and being a little slow to skate back and make up for them. Would like some more points and shots, especially on the pp.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
We're paying him 6m/yr for his offense and he hasn't been generating any offense. He's on pace for 4 goals and 34 points. I'll give him a break this year to an extent, but if he doesn't have at least 45 points next year, I'll be extremely disappointed in him.

I realize it's not just him, but he's not earning his contract yet.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Not been quite as effective as hoped, but if the team as a whole was functioning better and could hit the net, he could realistically have another 50% points, especially if getting the PP time expected. Slightly better defensively and slightly worse offensively compared to expectations, probably playing at a level at $5m p.a rather than $6m, but when you don't give up assets, salary will always be higher. A solid B- grade so far from me

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Hello, Caps fan here coming in peace.

I just wanted to check in and see how Mike Green is doing this year and how you guys feel about him thus far. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss him, even if we are having a terrific season without him.

I haven't been able to watch many Wings games so I don't really know how his season has been.

Thanks for any feedback!

Mike Green as Advertised is:

Amazing Offensively
And Horrible Defensively.

What we are seeing is:

Decent Offensively (But not Good) (especially not considering his salary)
Decent Defensively (Much better than advertised).

Quite frankly he has done a very good job here, and its a toss up if Green or Kronwall is our best defenseman (Currently).

But overall both kronwall and green are not significantly driving the offense. And yet they are making a decent number of good passes that help offensively. Both are underproducing. Obviously this is a result of Detroit being pretty low scoring this year. But also Green was getting #2 PP time, not #1 time.

Overall he has been a bit disappointing offensively
and much better than expected defensively.

So "mixed reviews". For those that want a Karlsson, he does not at all do that, (Maybe he did 5 years ago). (But for those thinking hed be our #4 guy, the fact that he is more like a #2 guy is "good".

Overall all our defenseman could use improvement though, so my happyness is relative :P

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
He's good. If we didn't have a crap powerplay coach his stats would show how good he is

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
Yeah all of this sounds pretty similar to his last year in WSH. When it was being said that he was going to be the top free agent I was a little surprised. His offence has dwindled a little and his defense has improved tremendously the past few seasons. Almost like he's just trying to be more responsible. It could've partially been Oates ideology having an affect on him but I'm not sure. He was at his best offensively when he wasn't relied upon as a defender, when he played more like a 4th forward. He had a good partnership with John Erskine, even though John wasn't ever that good. He would cover for Mike and would go to the corners and do the battling. It seemed once Mike had to go do some of the dirty work that he didn't have that extra jump to get up in the rush and make plays offensively. He has always had a good first pass and has been a great PPQB so maybe he is being underutilized in that sense, but I guess if he hasn't gone out and earned it...

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Anyway, I just enjoy having a defenceman once again who doesn't treat the puck like a live hand grenade or panic when he's pressured at the blue line.

Last edited by a moderator:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
He's been snakebit. Part is being a bit unlucky, but some plays he just should have buried. He could've been on a 15g, 50pt pace quite easily.

Defensively his worst enemy by far is puck watching. Yeah he makes turnovers but that comes with trying to play offense.

So far, he's worked out more as a play starter and two-way guy rather than an offensive guy. He's toned down from his early days.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Stay out of box
And score more

Otherwise moves the puck well and is defensively better than most guys we have minus Dekeyser. Plays like a top 4 D guy.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Stay out of box
And score more

Otherwise moves the puck well and is defensively better than most guys we have minus Dekeyser. Plays like a top 4 D guy.

Hes fine with the penalties. At least hes not Ericsson.

Plus he scores on that breakaway because he took one most of the time ;)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
We're paying him 6m/yr for his offense and he hasn't been generating any offense. He's on pace for 4 goals and 34 points. I'll give him a break this year to an extent, but if he doesn't have at least 45 points next year, I'll be extremely disappointed in him.

I realize it's not just him, but he's not earning his contract yet.

Green has helped our ES play, but the power-play is sucking (and his production is missed from there), because of coaching problems.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
He's our calmest guy with respect to getting the puck up the ice, it's actually very interesting to watch, but that's where he stops standing out from the crowd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad