Checkers fall to Lehigh Valley in Longest AHL game

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
The same two affiliates also set the previous record ten years ago when the teams were in Philly and Albany with the Flyers affiliate winning that game too.

Reactions: Unsustainable

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Alex Lyon with a .989 save percentage and 0.40 gaa for the game. Those numbers don't even make sense! Plus Lehigh Valley played with 5 defenseman for over six periods. Sam Morin left the game in the first period with an injury and didn't return.

ek93

Dec 28, 2014
New York
Couldn't sleep last night so I decided to buy the game on AHL Live during 3OT. Glad I did, that was entertaining for sure.

RowdyFan42

Apr 22, 2015
Albany(-ish)
5/10 Evening sports

This was the 6PM sports report on Albany's ABC affiliate last night. The relevant portion starts about 1:20 in; in other words, the LAST item in the segment, tacked on as an "oh, by the way" note. This steaming pile is exactly why the AHL left Albany, never to return: they mention that Lehigh Valley used to be the Adirondack Phantoms but not that Charlotte used to be the River Rats? Or that the previous record holder for longest AHL game was a (Philly) Phantoms-Rats tilt at the TU Center 10 years ago? If you're going to try to find the local angle on a story -- and this is a media market that loves to do that, to annoying extremes -- the least you can do is not half-ass it.

(Then again, as far as I can tell, the other TV stations didn't even bother mentioning the game at all. Again, this is why the AHL left; if the media doesn't give a flying Fig Newton about the sport, how can you expect the fans to care?)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad